1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RR5 - Peaceful days

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by r_rolo1, Jul 15, 2009.

1. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Ok, I've been delaying this a little ;)

As stated before in the RR4 thread, I decided to make a Always peace game, since this is a not so used option in game ( probably because most of the people are warmongers in nature regarding computer games and also because no one taught the AI to play in Always peace ) and because the AI bonuses in high levels are harder to counter when you don't have the option of simply take the carpet out of the AI shoes with a nice SoD ;)

So the variant so far is simply:

-Options chosen: Always peace. Would prefer to avoid cheesy AP wins as well, but they aren't stricly forbidden.

Settings:

Patch 3.19 and:
    Spoiler :

Start:
    Spoiler :

Not that lovely ( hate AH resources on hills ), but those FP look good enough for someone that starts with Agri... atleast there is definitely something to put a worker busy for a while.

Roster:
    r_rolo1
    Ad Hoc
    LKendter
    GreyFox
    Thy_Spellcraft
    nocho

(?) means pending confirmation

Alternates
    ---------
    ---------

Attached Files:

2. nocho

nocho Deity

At always peace leaving conquest and domination out or not doesn't really matter, no? No AI nor the humans will be able to reach those goals (and at high level culture flipping to domination will be impossible anyway, and the AI wouldn't be smart enough for that).

Wouldn't mind joining or being an alternate. :)

3. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

That is pretty much the point, nocho. It is highly unlikely that a AI will out spam the others so hard that will be able to win by dom ;) and conquest without war is almost impossible ( unless the AP works hard to give cities to you :p ). Vassals is a little more more tricky though, because of the colonies ( and yes, colonies may win you the game :p ).

Will put you as alternate in a temporary basis, pending confirmations of the people of RR4.

4. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

The idea sounds very tempting!! So count me in!

But as I'm already running a SG in 3.19 I'd purpose to do this here as well!

About the settings: What difficulty level do we're heading for?? About mapand civ: I didn't had an island map or quite some time.. So maybe a tiny island map and therefore Hanni as leader??
    About victory options: I'd say let's keep them all but let's add the variant that we'll have to win via AP election.. And to have a fair chance of winning this game I'd raise the difficulty not above monach (even though I'd still be in in case we're trying this settings on a higher level..). But we definitely should take the "no vassals" option, to ensure some more votes..

5. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

One less (?) :D

So, Hannibal in a tiny island map? .... hmmm, maybe....

6. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

Put me as a probable. I still want to get a little better idea what I am committing to.

As for the patch I want to get up to 3.19. Not sure what I have on this machine as I am back on the desktop.

7. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

My personal idea was to run something like hemispheres with a Ind leader ( that or one of the Indians, as all other civs UU are useless in AP :D ), with vassals on. I would also like to shoot for space, as it is definitely the hardest goal you can have in a AP, but I'm ok with any win. Oh, and most likely Emperor....

8. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Leader: I think industrious will be nice to go for wonders (while AI continue to spam units). The other trait can be finanicial, organized, expansive, spiritual, Doesn't really matter.

If you go for Thy's suggestion of Apo Palace Win, however, then we should go spiritual.

Map: Don't care.

Patch: 3.19 is best.

Roster: I see no reason why we can't have 6 players :mischief: ... but I am not the SG captain. So here is the deal, I will swap with nocho: he become the confirmed player and I take up his alternate position.

9. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Prince

Reporting in

i'd prefer 3.19 as i'm already in one SG with 3.19

No preference on leader although one of the Ind's would be best for going after a few wonders.

Map and Level again no preference.

10. nocho

nocho Deity

Thanks for the offer but it's not my intention to claim anyone's spot, so I'd happily stand on the sidelines only to pop in in case someone drops out. That said, 6 indeed doesn't sound bad for a SG :D. But as you said that's up to the captain.

For the record, I did the dual install and it looks like it works... So either patch would be ok with me.

As to leader suggestions, industrious sounds good. Spiritual Ramses, or maybe creative Louis? Creative may help to give some breathing room during the landgrab, as obviously there are no means to expand by force.

11. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

I'm fine with 6 players , so nocho can get in.

It looks like we are agreed on going Ind ( that means no Fast worker :( )... I like the idea of going with ramesses and go obsolete style with the cap, but there are other sugestions. Like de Gaulle ( Cha/Ind ) or even the rat QSH ( Ind/Pro ... long like cheap walls :lol: ). But playing with Louis has the big benefit of not having to deal with his wig on diplo screen, and that is a big point :D .Seriously, creative can help a lot in the early days....

Will edit the (?) ....

12. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Prince

Louis would be good, it's not like his UU is any good anyway and cheap libraries are always a bonus.

13. Veritass

Veritass Emperor

Lurker questions: So, if you play always peace, and you build the Great Wall, does that mean you never have to build a military unit?

14. nocho

nocho Deity

Honoured to join the team. :)

With always peace the free artist from Louis' salon may actually be remotely useful for a change, in order to put some extra cultural pressure on any neighbouring cities in the hope of flipping them. Ok, that's a rather marginal plus. Free border pops and cheap libraries are a big plus though.

If, like rolo favours, we'd head for space though then Bismarck with his Assembly Plant looks like a strong late game option.

Well, I'm fine with anything, but if I had to give some order of preference I'd say Louis and equally 2nd Ramses and Bismarck, though if beforehand we say ApoPal then Ramses, if space then Biz.

15. Pindrus

Pindrus Warlord

You would probably want at least one unit for military police duty in each city, probably more under Hereditary Rule.

However, it is a reason to not build anything besides the absolute CHEAPEST military unit and AP with the GW would be an interesting disincentive to hooking up strategic resources (i.e. mine that copper, but for god's sake don't road it until we build the Colossus!) to save :hammers: on unit builds. While the citizens cry out for protection, whether they are guarded by scrubs with clubs or tanks makes no difference to them :)

Good luck on this game! Even if you don't go for Always Peace domination win, would you consider using the fixed (and more powerful?) "Spread Culture" espionage mission for city-flipping?

16. Kjara

Kjara Warlord

The only other unique unit that might be useful if there is a new world or open ocean islands is the carrack (carry settler at optics). Joao's traits would be good for the initial expansion phase when you are competing for land as well and the ub is decent if its a medium-high water map.

17. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

I'm fine with every leader, but I think Louis would be the best decision of the ind civics.
    As we've got other ways to win than diplo I'm fine with emperor as well.. But there's still no map-idea! As it seems island are out.. So as long as it's not a pangea it's all the same to me!
    About patch: will we use 3.19??

18. Sweetacshon

Sweetacshon In the foetal position

You can still do some damage with privateers, right?

I'll go as an alternate, if the slot's still open.

19. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

I am thinking it might be possible to go for culture-based corporation(s) and see how they work out in a passive domination type of startegy.

20. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

That, without the possibility of killing the garrisons, is basically impossible. 10 units in a city basically prevent revolts :(

I'll generate and post a game tonight