1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RR6 - I am Legend

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by r_rolo1, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

They have to be close enough for a city to spread culture for the spread culture mission to be available anyways, I believe.

2. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

You need to have atleast 1 culture point in the city to be able to spread culture in that city via espionage, that is true :( The good news is that this includes culture from espionage missions in other cities, if it gets there :D So, in theory, you can bridge to the core cities of a enemy empire using the espionage culture spread in other cities ;)

But i have to reckon that settling fast against a AI capitol might be a good way to go as well ;)

I'll generate a start tonight with Giglamesh of the Sumerians, Monarch/Pangea/Standart/Normal. With some luck we may get Gandhi as neighbour :D

3. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

4. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Added pics and starting save to the opening post...

Though call on moving or not...

5. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

Well how about moving the warrior SE first to see if anything interesting shows up...

1S is tempting to be on the river.

6. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

Exactly what I was going to suggest! On the other hand: We'll need a lot of early production (agressive settling --> at least two settlers before GW, GW itself and as this is not a no barb game we'll need some military as well..) so the additional hammer from our starting spot would come in very handy.

7. nocho

nocho Deity

Yeah, move warrior 1SE first. However, I'd probably settle in place anyway, the extra hammer is nice and given the scarcity of resources, surely we must have metal or horses, possibly both. I'd hate to lose them by moving our settler.

8. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Prince

definately move the warrior SE, from the start iron, copper or horses in the BFC seem almost a given.

9. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Moved the warrior SE .....
    Spoiler :

Good to know we have more food in the area, but the question is pretty much the same: settle on spot or move south?

10. ruff_hi

ruff_hi Live 4ever! Or die trying

my 2c (for what it is worth) ... This city is (relatively) hammer poor and moving South means losing a plains hill in the North, gain a plains hill (the tile you move from) but you lose the 2 hammers in your city tile.

I would settle on the spot, get the boost from the plains hill city tile and make this a cottage capital.

11. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

12. nocho

nocho Deity

Yeah, in place, always like settling on plain hills. Agree with worker and Thy's proposed tech path. Do we want to try for the GW? Then probably masonry after BW.

13. Tatran

Tatran Deity

Lurker's comment :
    Settling on the plains hills won't allow building a levee, unless you're playing the Dutch.

14. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

This is part of why I wanted a debated to go 1S.

15. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

16. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Well, on spot and 1 S are not that diferent in terms of land barring some resource we can't see now. Setting on spot has definitely some plus and minus. I can definitely live with a riverless capital, but it always gives me shivers to settle both on a forested tile and in a plains hilll ( unless I'm in sore need of early hammers ) and settling on spot fits both :(

To say the truth , the 2 options are pretty much the same... I would probably prefer to settle on the river, but just because it would assure easier acess and a higher :health: cap. But it is definitely a short bonus :p

17. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

I'm not sure of we really get extra :health: from a river.. As far as I know it would be enough to have access to freshwater. And because of the lake north of our starting spot we have..

18. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Prince

i'd think i'd go one south, i like being on a river for early connecting of resources

19. nocho

nocho Deity

I'd throw up a dice and let fate decide. :)

I still have a slight preference for in place, because of the extra hammer that gets our worker out sooner. And because of not running the risk of losing those hidden resources we expect to see pop up. With 1 road built we are connected to the river, trade wise. And we start with wheel IIRC.

But well, moving 1S won't kill the game either. Nor does staying in place. Hence the dice!

20. Nares

Nares Emperor

Lurker's Comment
    There's a riverside grassland hill hiding in the fog south of the one which is visible.

Just thought I'd kick the hornets nest.