RR7 -Big in Japan

i think settle in place with WB first.

Agri-mining-BW would be my usual tech path.

Sorry, if you're waiting for my input, then it seems that the team is going for settling in place. I'd personally grab the Cows and riverside, but I'm lineball on it and fine to go with the group.

So, is it Rolo or Ad Hoc playing?

It is moi meme :D

Well, I share the concerns of some of the team members about having a cap with a lot of sea tiles and no hills, so I decided to settle in place:
Spoiler :

WB as first build, Agri set as first tech ( 9 turns ).

After some turns, I grabbed a hut:
Spoiler :

:woohoo:

For those with better eye sight, the previous pic showed that this would happen:
Spoiler :

Bah, the worst is that the guy seems to be blocking us... we have to solve that without killing him :mischief:

After researching 2 turns of mining ( after ending Agri ), obviously this had to happen:
Spoiler :

Not that I'll shun free beakers :D

I decided to end my set here. A map:
Spoiler :

This is a little early to tell, but my gut feeling tells me that we are in the SE corner of a continent like area. This also means that Wash is blocking us. This means that we have to unlock ourselfes, most likely with some sharp metal if we can find some around ( I seriously doubt that we have copper in our cap... )

So, IMHO next set will be spent finishing the WB, make a worker and tech BW. If possible get a better idea of what is beyond Wash ( by the EP spending it is clear he knowns someone else ) and if possible get some more techs from huts :D

Ad_Hoc is UP , Cam_H is on deck.

P.S Yes, I do feel lucky today :D It is not everyday that you can have 3 techs in the bag when Budhism is founded, after all ...

Attachments

• RR7 - Big in Japan BC-3560.CivBeyondSwordSave
    52.2 KB · Views: 68
Just a note, if I am not mistaken if city loose access to resource that corporation use, city loose that corporation.
which means, you will have to sell at least on of resources to every civ in the game. Which means that you can not be in war with anyone at the end of the game.

which means that you will have to win by culturally pressure, achieving last few % of land by it.

Well, you could to take last few cities, sign peace before they stop revolting/borders expand, and have that put you over the top. Not that cultural push should be hard either for a mega-sushi.

Looking nice... I don't think Washy will be blocking us that badly if the continent also arcs northwards on the northern side. Anyway even in the first case we should have enough room to wiggle ourselves out through him :)

I don't know about you guys, but the combination of 1) popping Sailing 2) having a Masonry resource in BFC 3) having multiple early chops (the hills) 4) being coastal 5) assuming to get a lot of coastal cities just screams GLH. Since Washy is that close we would probably have time to pop a settler or two first since 1) not as much barbs as he's busting and buffering 2) ...since he's that close, we might need to hurry. :)

And yeah if we see Copper that should probably be our first grab unless it's in a horrible place :)

Just a note, if I am not mistaken if city loose access to resource that corporation use, city loose that corporation.
which means, you will have to sell at least on of resources to every civ in the game. Which means that you can not be in war with anyone at the end of the game.

which means that you will have to win by culturally pressure, achieving last few % of land by it.

The corporation won't magically disappear from the city if it loses corpo resources :) So we can just spread corpo first, then take their resources. Alternatively we could take their resources and subsequently cap them, give resources and spread corpo all on the same turn though that's more risky and unnecessary.

GLH sounds like a good idea! So far the land looks kind of barren, should try to make the most of it.

And Washington looks like a firm candidate to live with a tiny empire for a couple of thousands of years. :splat: :)

Two techs poped.. :woohoo: Let's pray it will continiue that way! :)

About GLH: I'm not sure whether this will be the best idea, 'cause that would delay our landgrab for quite some time.. And this may become a serious problem as long as we don't know whether there are lots of islands to settle.

And we shouldn't be working the corn at the moment.. It's more important to get the wb few turns earlier to start the worker! And afterwards we need another WB for scouting!

Bah, scouting ... :p

I like the idea of going GLH , but we still know too little of the surroundings to be sure that is a good idea . Let's tech BW, check for metals and meet who is in the other side of Wash and then make a decision....

Something you guys should probably know about me... I like to plan a lot ahead, throwing ideas that may turn out to not be viable, but could be a good way to go and require some ahead planning when playing in order to not miss an opportunity to pursue that way :p

The GLH here is one example of such... Further scouting might show it's not the way to go, but so far it looks it could be and as it's a decision that changes many aspects of the general strategy it's good to throw the idea out there in advance. Towards the hypothesis that it is viable, we are practically guaranteed to get the best 2 city sites in sight, both of which very probably coastal (the pig and the corn) so the landgrab should not be that big an issue. Biggest danger in that is the unsure availability of metal, a conclusion rolo seems to have also come to :D If we have a metal in sight for either our next 2 cities, we could well use Axes for further "landgrab" :) The way this variant (even with the probable Corporation semi-beeline) and map look GLH should be absolutely massive should we get it. Early to talk about it, yes, but not like there's much else to talk about :lol:

Oh, and agree about powering out the WB via working a hill, whether we want to grow to 3 before worker or not (probably not). :p

Just for the record, I do not know if there is copper or not around ... I just pointed out that it is unlikely that we have copper in our BFC given the lack of unforested land tiles that don't have a visible resource. And to be honest, with Wash so close , there is little space for a copper resourece between us two ,especially if the coast don't turn north fast ( and at this point, there is no assurance that will happen ). So IMHO we should have in mind the impossiblity of making a early rush to Wash due to lack of resources ....

got it, will play in a little while

a very quiet report, didn't even see a hut let alone pop one,

changed to working a forest grass hill to get the workboat out faster and then started a worker

continued scouting to the west going under Wash and was rewarded by finding another neighbour before turning north to go over the top of Wash, his worker is farming the rice undefended.

Our warrior was attacked by a wolf so he is slightly injured although promoted to Woodie I

Attachments

• RR7 - Big in Japan BC-3200.CivBeyondSwordSave
    55.8 KB · Views: 78
Just to let you know I've got it. Expect to play in a day or so. Happy to get any relevant advice or suggestions from the roster in the meantime. :)

Not that much to it here. I'd rather the warrior looped back, it would be nice to see 100% of the immediate surroundings to know about resources (esp. metal); the faraway lands can wait :) I guess Settler at 3 working Clam/Corn/Marble->Rivermine (when its done) and teching AH is the textbook play here. :)

I'm not sure why we need AH right now. There's no AH-resource within our BFC. But there's marble and a quarry would net us another :hammers: as well as two more :commerce:. So I'd rarther head for masonry. BTW: Going this way would leave the idea of GLH within the queue.

Not sure if I exactly need a blow-by-blow description ...

• Our Warrior defeats a Wolf
  • We meet a Scout from nowhere ... an envoy of Stalin
  • Worker built ... irrigates Corn ... working on irrigating Marble for the time being
  • Bronze Working in ... not very close Copper, in American proximity between us (refer image below)
  • Researching Animal Husbandry, maybe Horses closer?
  • Partial build on Barracks before swapping over to Settler
  • Did not swap into Slavery ... I would have, but I was not sure if one turn of anarchy slowing Settler progress was wanted or not ... can swap this turn if roster says 'yes' with no harm done.

@ Thy_Spellcraft,

Sorry, just seen your post after playing. As it happens, no close Copper worked out OK for choice to go after Animal Husbandry. Likewise, can see logic in Masonry, but I've gone and sought possible Horses.

Attachments

• RR7 - Big in Japan BC-2800.CivBeyondSwordSave
    59.3 KB · Views: 62
Sorry, I'm used to getting and giving (mostly getting) very detailed micro advice in the early game in the few SGs I've played, right down to "should work this tile for 3 turns and then swap to that tile while improving that tile and then that tile". Sorry if it felt like me trying to hold your hand :) If that's what you were referring to in the first place.

That Copper looks well within reach, could settle it first if we wanted. I guess it depends a bit on the Horsie positions.

Btw, anyone have an explanation why a farm is more productive with huge chunks of Marble laying on the fields? :lol:

In no way am I a micro guru, but I would say it would be better to stop farming the marble now (5 turns left still) and start chopping that river hill NE of it and then mine it. Meanwhile switch to slavery and do a 1-pop whip when possible. I *think* that's the quickest way to get the settler out as surely we'll have to race for the bronze... I'm afraid Wash will beat us to it anyway, but well. In any case, in my humble opinion I think those 5 worker turns can be invested better than finishing a farm that in a not very distant future will be quarried over anyway (although I understand the rationale behind farming... :)) Also wouldn't mind to get another warrior out before the barracks. Depends a bit on how long it takes to finish the barracks.

Ok, I still have to see the save , but I guess, by looking at the map, that the situation requires a settler out fast to get that copper near wash ( and to net a sushi resource BTW :D ). I'm still not decided between going GLH or going "bunch of axes". Either way I think that AH is not the best tech to get ATM, but what is done is done ( that is what you get by seeing 2 sets played since last time logged :p ) ... regardless of what path we decide we need granaries soon, BTW :D

On farming marble... NO :p If we are going to try to spit out a settler , the turns would be of far better use chopping one of the hill forests we have than farming a quarry resource that, as Silu pointed, will most likely be quarried soon.

Top Bottom