1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

RT-01 Triadic Warfare

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Rex Tyrannus, May 21, 2006.

1. Rex Tyrannus

Rex Tyrannus 280lbs of gross stupidity

After Fox-03, Captain GreyFox decided to bow out of hosting SGs. But where does that leave his poor, snivelling followers? In the lurch, I say. Waiting for a time when the world (or at least we) can unite again to take on evil and bind the world under one rule!

Onion ring to rule them all,
    Onion ring to find them.
    Onion ring to bring them all,
    And in the darkness bind them!​

What's that? That whole one rule (ummm onion rings) thing's getting kinda old? Wondering if we have the hutzpah to take on monarch peacefully? Hmmmm....

Okay, so picking up where Fox-03 left off, I offer up this simple little challenge for the Fox group:

Difficulty: Monarch

Map: Standard size, layout up for debate

Opponents: (The rich bastards) Washington, Qin, Elizabeth, HC, Mansa, Catherine, others. I picked all the financial leaders. What I really want are the civs most likely to beat us at space race. So let's debate.

Leader: Open for discussion.

Speed: Normal or Epic.

Victories: All enabled, but only space, (true) diplo, and cultural are acceptable.

Variants: We can only declare war three times throughout the course of this game. By declare, I mean Alt-Click or "head on pole". If Civs A and B have a defensive pact, that counts as one. If we have a DP with Civ A and Civ B declares on him, that's a free-bee too.

Ettiquette

• Standard 24/72. Edit: I meant 24/48; 72 total.
    • Here (more than other SGs) war declarations are critical. Please, no undiscussed war declarations or peace treaties.
    • Autologger output is not a turn report. Including autolog data within your own words is acceptable.
    • Emphasis on fun. Weed decisions by your teammates in Civ4 probably won't affect the rest of your life much.

We Misfits:

Yours Truly
    Kikinit
    namliaM (I think)
    the Venerable [Blitzkrieg] Bede (5,000 posts earns you many a nick-name)
    (reserved for) Blid
    (reserved for) GreyFox

If any of the reserved dudes decide to pass on this, I'll either open the last two slots up, or PM some of the usual suspects, depending on what the group would like.

(Anyone wanting to put their quarter on the StreetFighter game please let us know. I'd rather have enthusiasm than anything, but I do need to wait for the others in Fox-03 to yay or nay this one.)

Let the debate/questions begin...

2. Bede

Bede Chieftain

BEEEEEEDE!

Thanks for monikor rex-t

3. namliaM

namliaM Chieftain

Checking in... Still getting my feet wet on Monarch...
    Played a random monarch game today, got my head handed to me... :(

I was alone on a larg-ish island space for 9-10 cities, but got way outteched...

What about getting civ A to declare on Civ B? Thats OK isnt it?

Also, what if we offer to help a civ? Or get asked to help a civ?
    Its not Alt-Click (whats that?) or Head on a pole?! ;)

I bet I know the answer ;)

Its also free to be declared upon, so we can make (out)rightsiouch (spelling?) demands all we want so to make the AI mad at us and get a freebee?

4. ·Imhotep·

·Imhotep· Legendary Builder

5. Rex Tyrannus

I was thinking about that. Up against all these financial civs, maybe an archipelego start wouldn't be such a good idea. But I'm not yellow enough to want a pangae or great plains. Maybe a hub, inland sae, or custom continents?

Thanks for lurking, LT. Wanna be first alternate or is law school actually asking you to do stuff other than civ these days?

6. blid

blid Chieftain

What does "reserved for" stand for :confused: I mean is this a coloquilism or something ?
    It's just blid as far as I know

leader : any non "I count my coins" bastard. Someone starting with mysticism maybe. Against all those greedy capitalists, it will certainly help. Or a philo one, to take it the Great People way

on map, I agree that archipelago would be harsh on us. Maybe just a standard fractal one

7. Rex Tyrannus

Exactly! Good man.

'welcome. Though I realized that I owe you an apology. I said 5,000 posts and you're pushig six. That's a lot of family-avoidance, pal. You gotta teach me that one.

It stands for, "get your tuchas in here and contribute you upitty Parisian!" I see it worked.

I'm cool with philososphical, so long as it's not Saladin. Too many Sally SGs lately.

Hmmm....I haven't played fractal. Anyone else have an opinion?

8. Bede

Bede Chieftain

How about Highlands :devil:?

9. Rex Tyrannus

• Diplo wars count against our three, whether we offer it, they offer it, or they damand it.
    • Playing Vencinni (hireing one civ to war on another), though, will probably be integral to our strategy.
    • Hold down Alt and left-mouse-click on a leader's name in the score-bar to quickly declare war on him.
    • Don't know where you were going with "(out)rightsiouch", but arrogant demands are fine, but let's not do it as an exploit. No 25 demands on one dude for the same tech.

10. Kikinit

Kikinit Chieftain

Checking in. I like the idea of going for all the religions against all these guys. See how many heads we can get on the hydra and then spread them to all the financial guys. It'd be our counter to the money that they'll generate.

Archipeligo would be too advantageous to all the financial civs so a more land based one would be preferable. I enjoy fractal and most of my games are on that map. I also don't mind a plains type map.

11. Rex Tyrannus

Okay, we've got enough players to start. Let's get the rest of this junk out of the way, quick.

Map
    Bede wants highlands. K wants fractal or plains. I personally would like to see water be a factor. Otherwise, we'd be stacking the deck with financial civs and no coast. My vote is custom continents or hub. I want more votes here.

Leader
    Blid wants a philosophical leader with mysticism. That's Saladin. K seconds the mysticism part. I'm thinking organized might be a good trait so that we can prosecute an early war to its completion, rather than have to stop due to economy.

So I guess my vote goes to Tokugawa. (I don't think I can stomach another Saladin SG just yet.) Let's hear some other names, though.

Opponents
    I'm going to add all the financials and Asoka. He also seems to be in the space race often enough. Does anyone want a different civ in there?

Speed
    Unless someone says otherwise, I'll just do normal speed. Epic is my SP speed, but normal seems to pace better for SG.

Other player(s)
    I'm taking Fox's last post in Fox03 as a "no, thank you." Do we want to open up the last spot, play with five, or invite a known player?

12. Kikinit

Kikinit Chieftain

I like Epic in SG's and prefer normal on my SP's just the opposite of you. Normal SG's seem to be over too fast.

Are you going to add both of the English or just pick one? We could be the lovely Isabella (Mysticism, Expansive & Spiritual).

Fractal should have enough sea around for your taste. Or you could play one of the maps I played the other day which was in the shape of a spoked wheel. I'm at work already so can't check the name now.

13. Rex Tyrannus

I'm not picky here. I'll go with the consensus.

K votes Spain on a lake. I vote Toku. Blid votes Sally. Bede or namliaM? Regarding England, I'll just pick one (probably Elizabeth). Two Englands is confusing.

It's called hub. I haven't played one in a long time, but it's fun. Sounds like fractal or hub for K. I'll also be fine with fractal or hub.

Bede voted highlands (which I've actually never played). Anyone else?

14. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

With the same old bunch of funnies players, how could I miss the fun.

GreyFox checking in (knew I am eating more than I can stomach ... but THWT ...)

15. Bede

Bede Chieftain

Don't particularly care for hub maps. And you can twiddle the settings for Highlands to get a fair amount sea for coastal areas. My first Monarch game was Highlands set for maximum water and oceans. Great fun and my capitol started with four clam beds! Though the Highlnads layout does tend to limit cottage spam.

16. namliaM

namliaM Chieftain

Highlands => Less cottages => Dimming the Financial trait?

I dont mind any map or speed settings, the SGOTM is my first ever Epic speed game....

17. blid

blid Chieftain

If I had to choose, I'd rather take mysticism than philo. Spain seems fine, but maybe Bede is already fed with his warhorses campaign. There is one civ I didn't see in SGs, It's Monty. He got so often mocked for his useless UU by other leaders that he became aggressive. Then he turned spiritual to find comfort in religion. This combo is the least favourable for us. Aggressive though we're not warring (often) and spiritual though we'll probably be running a small empire (the larger the empire, the longer anarchy periode are)

18. ·Imhotep·

·Imhotep· Legendary Builder

Lurker's comment:

Personally I'd like to see Tokugawa as leader. There SGs featuring him as leader are rare, and he is an interesting character.

@rex:

Since this is not Always War and you're planning to play more of a builder game according to the three strikes rule, you may count me in as an alternate if needed. RotQM will be over soon anyway, yielding some free Civ IV time for me.

·Imhotep·

19. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Geez, are we playing a demo game or what!?! ... Throw your kinky dice and get started already!

:lol:

... okay, apparently debating which leader, map type, etc is half the fun ... so, let's see:

-- Civ:

If you want Philosophical: I will say Peter or Alex. They are one of the least played I think.

If you want Mysticism, then Huayna or Monty. (In fact, never played as Monty before ... but I think I'll hate Monty ... writing the SG report will take twice as long as I need to keep figuring what exactly the @#$* cities names are ... :lol:)

-- Map Type:

Highlands with high sea seems challenging ...

-- Opponents:

Actually, funny that you would want to put in all the financial leaders ... you know, I was comptemplating on one of my numerous Fox-SGs (damned my video card!) ideas, and one of them was to beat the Financial Civs at their own Game ... i.e. be finicially superior than them.

SO I agree there.

-- Speed:

I prefer Normal, but Epic is fine too.

-- Number of Players:

Guess my unexpected appearance ruined your grand plan of playing with someone esle ... :lol:

--

20. Rex Tyrannus

Okay. Exutive decision time.

Map:
    Highlands with high sea level it is. I don't mind taking out the cottage spam as coastal tiles ought to still hurt us bad enough.

Speed: normal. Phfffbbtt!

Leader:
    I'll roll a kinky die and let chance take over. The candidates are Spain, Japan, Arabia, Aztec, Greece, and Persia. (Can't do Peter with Cathy in the game.)

The roll is a 4. (No screenie) That's Alex.

Official Chicken:

Rex Tyrannus
    Kikinit
    namliaM
    Bede
    (reserved for) Blid
    GreyFox

First alternate: Imhotep of Athens

I'll roll a start up later today. Thanks, guys.