1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[RT] New Horizons: Virtues

Discussion in 'CivBE - Released Mods' started by Machiavelli24, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Machiavelli24

Machiavelli24 Mod creator

NewHorizonsVirtues_splash.jpg

New Horizons: Virtues is a Rising Tide compatible mod that changes all the Virtues. It includes a new Virtue Health system and new Virtue trees: Security, Expansion, Development and Commerce.

Download locations:

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5
    Security Expansion Development Commerce Depth bonuses
    1 vir_security.jpg 2 vir_expansion.jpg 3 vir_development.png 4 vir_commerce.png 5 vir_depth_kickers.png

Virtue Health
    No Virtue within the trees provides Health. Instead Health comes from the synergy Virtues. Every depth-based synergy and tier 1 synergy provides Health. Players can follow different paths down various combinations of the Virtue trees without crippling their Health.

Security
    Beat back the alien menace and claim the planet as your own with Security! This tree is for colonies that want to control the land, sea and space. In boosts military and orbital units. Ensuring a strong army and strong economy to back them up.

Expansion
    Civilize the frontier with Expansion! This tree provides rewards that help young cities develop rapidly and support continuous rapid expansion. With lots of per-city bonuses the larger the colony the larger the rewards. Make your colony stretch from horizon to horizon.

Development
    The most successful colonies know that it is people are its most valuable asset. With Development bustling cities will pour untold riches into your coffers and construct wonders that are the envy of the world. With rewards for each new population and surplus Health focusing on continuous population growth is key to achieving success.

Commerce
    Specialize and trade between your cities or other stations and colonies. And if you can't get what you want by hook you can try by crook with Covert Ops. As a master of financial trickery you can even use Deficit Spending to earn Energy by spending Energy!

Known Issues:
    • None at this time.

Changelog:
    Spoiler :

V 3 - 11/9/2015 (Workshop fix)
    Spoiler :

• Fixed issue where some users downloading the mod from the workshop would have a critical file placed in the wrong directory.

Older versions:
    Spoiler :

V 1 - 10/27/2015 (Initial public release)
    Spoiler :

• Initial public release.

2. Polycrates

Polycrates Chieftain

I really like what you've done with this! Big fan of the health changes, and the whole system seems more like it supports a pick-and-mix approach that's more in tune with BE's synergy mechanics (whereas the originals seem to awkwardly commit you to a single tree a lot more).

Only one thing I picked up on (and this is entirely speculation) - I've found that policies come SO EARLY now in Rising Tide with the sea pods etc, and I think Deficit Spending could be available really, really early - at a point where that kind of energy could really unbalance things. I really like the policy, and I like that the techs on the way to it don't have much very-early-game benefit, but I suspect it might still be worth moving right to the bottom of the tree to make it a little harder to rush for.

Awesome stuff, I look forward to trying it!

3. Doviello

Doviello Chieftain

Came here to post the same thing about Deficit Spending, my only grip with your take on virtues. DS is, basically, a free income of 70-100 gpt, as long as we keep spending it (which is what we want to do anyway). I find that virtue WAY too powerfull, by far the strongest virtue of all trees. xcept for that, i like this mod.

4. sugerdady87

sugerdady87 Chieftain

Wow. Excellent work.

5. sugerdady87

sugerdady87 Chieftain

I have a question about the outsourcing virtue (and other similar virtues really). Is the 25% production bonus applied to the yield brought into the city by the trade vessel, or is it applied to the city's total production itself?

6. Machiavelli24

Just the trade unit yield is increased.
    -----------
    As for deficit spending, yeah, given you can have it sub turn 20 if you get a culture artifact, it will need to be moved.

7. hevans900

hevans900 Chieftain

Machiavelli - I have no idea why but if I subscribe to your new mods through the Steam Workshop (New Horizons: Virtues, New Horizons: Loadouts) and download them - they never appear in game on the Mods list UI.

I have checked my local mods folder and confirmed that the files are indeed there (NewHorizonsVirtues.civbemod or somesuch).

I have also tried deleting and re-downloading my entire mod cache - and they reappear in the folder but never ingame.

Am I doing something wrong? Your previous Vanilla New Horizons mod worked fine for me

8. Machiavelli24

It's a weird build issue I'm still trying to resolve. Something between mod buddy are steam workshop got messed up. You're not doing anything wrong. The CivFanatics version shouldn't have any problems.