1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RtW Scenario: 1936 World War!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by Dale, Jul 11, 2007.

1. wotan321

wotan321 Emperor

Can you destroy/pillage/bombard roads and railroads in this?

2. Dale

Dale Deity

Yep. By normal means and by arty field bombardment.

3. wotan321

wotan321 Emperor

That should make a big difference. Thanks for the quick response.

4. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

The first 8, with the exception of China, which I'll explain later, are must haves. I'd have the UK be the commonwealth and also control Australia, New Zealand, India, Egypt, South Africa, Canada, etc. That cuts out a lot of civs. China should be divided into Communist China and the Nationalists (9 civilizations now), Poland, Czechoslovakia, Republican Spain, Fascist Spain, Turkey, Sweden, Siam, Caribbean & Central America, Northern South America, Brazil, Argentina/Chile, Ecuador/Peru/Bolivia, Norway, Finland, Greece, Yugoslavia, Baltic States, Persia, Afghanistan, Belgium, Netherlands, and Mexico. That's 31, but you can break up the South American civs or the UK Commonwealth if you really want to use 36.

5. ecv

ecv Chieftain

You could consider dropping Ireland and Austria, having them as part of GB and Germany respectively from the start, would ofcourse be historicaly inaccurate, but imo not have any kind of significant impact.
    At their expense i would consider including Rumania and/or "axis friendly balkan minors" (Bulgaria, Hungary). Judging from the picture, Rumania is included as a part of Poland, which is imo a quite bad solution. Poland was conquered by Germany, while Rumania joined Germany in the war against the Soviet Union (Contributing with a fairly large military commitment). Rumania also supplied Germany with alot of oil, both before and during the war (apart from the synthetic oil Germany made, it was the oil from the Ploesti oil fields that drove the Wehrmacht).

How about calling it Denmark-Norway (or Norway-Denmark) since it seems your Norway is actually composed of those two countries. The two coutries were attacked by Germany at the same time, and had Germany only attacked Denmark, its likely that Norway would have joined the Allies - so having them as one country is a good abstraction.

Also, i dont think Iraq should be included as part of the British Empire. Iraq was granted independence in 1933 (iirc), and was actually invaded by the Allies during ww2, since the Iraq Government supposedly wanted to join Germany in the war.
    The situation with Iran was fairly similar to that of Iraq during ww2 (wanted to join the axis, preemptively invaded). So including them as one country "Iraq-Persia" might be a good abstraction.
    As have already been pointed out, it might work better to have GB, India, South Africa, Australia, Canada and New Zealand as one country, since the war effort was well coordinated and controlled from London. Will the AI be able to do that when its independent contries?

6. Dale

Dale Deity

Hi ecv. :)

Romania is part of East Balkans, represented by two cities of East Balkan's total. :) No need to worry about them being Polish. ;)

Norway includes Copenhagen and Iceland (Danish).

Yeah Iraq/Persia are an interesting spot. They swung both ways. I'll be rethinking them, so you're idea I'll store in the back of my mind. Thanks.

Australia ain't going to be part of UK. Trust me. ;) Also, UK did not co-ordinate Oz/NZ war efforts. They were attuned to the US under Macarthur (from Philippines, then Australia). I might package Oz-NZ together though, and India is UK territory (not independent).

7. Edungeon

Edungeon Flying~

8. Dale

Dale Deity

Yeah but Austria not opens up the start of an awesome event series. ;)

Anschluss --> Munich Conference --> Polish Corridor.

9. ecv

ecv Chieftain

Ok, good to hear about Rumania. So is East Balkans the Germany friendly Hungary-Rumania-Bulgaria? And West Balkans Greece and Yugoslavia (the balkan contries that Germany conquered).

The scenario starts in 1936 before the Anschluss in 38. Having it included via events is ofcourse the best solution.

Why not call Norway for Denmark-Norway (or visa versa). It will only add historical accuracy.

MacArthur was indeed commander in chief of the military operations in the pacific theater, but the supreme commander of all Commonwealth forces was afaik Lord Alan Brooke. It was him and Churchill who made the final calls about how to use the forces of the British Empire, which includes Australia untill 1942. I think you may be biased by your contry of origin on this issue.;)
    Anyhow, the goal of making all of the British Empire one country would be to make the ai better capable of coordinating its forces and offensives.

10. Dale

Dale Deity

Yep, East is German allies, West is Allied allies. :)

Sorry, Brooke was in charge of Europe.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Brooke,_1st_Viscount_Alanbrooke

MacArthur was Supreme Allied Commander of Pacific. And in charge of ALL Australian forces. :)

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_MacArthur

11. ecv

ecv Chieftain

You are wrong Dale. Brooke was Chief of the Imperial General Staff. Its true that his focus was the european theater. But as i said, he was the supreme commander of the military of the British Empire, something that included Australia untill 1942. In 1942 Australian forces was put under MacArthurs command, but that is 6 years after the start of the scenario.
    Anyway, this is all besides the point. The point is that i would fear that the ai is unable to perform military operations in any atleast semi-reasonable manner, with participants of so many different countries.
    I havent played it, so it could be that my speculations are put to shame (though i doubt it, considering the experience i have from other scenarios).

12. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

its called, you crush nations, ecv

13. Dale

Dale Deity

ecv:

I have modified the AI a bit on top of Blake's AI. I've focused it towards war on multiple fronts. So I have no fear it can handle a global scale war. :)

14. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

dude the ai is monstrous

15. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

Perhaps in the Pacific, but New Zealanders and Australians fought in the Mediterranean theatre and Malaya very much under British command.

16. Dale

Dale Deity

Name the Nations in Global Assault: :)

17. Edungeon

Edungeon Flying~

OMFG Central Africa is huge!!! XD

18. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

im glad the flags turned out okay :)

19. Dale

Dale Deity

Hehehe. How bout West Eu? :)

20. wilcoxchar

wilcoxchar Warlord

West Balkans should control the eastern Adriatic coast, as Italy only took control of it in 40/41.