1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RtW: v1.2 Beta Test!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by Dale, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Dale

Dale Chieftain

The Road to War v1.2 BETA 3 for Beyond the Sword 3.13!

Road to War sets you on the brink of World War II and lets players decide how they would like to play. Players may choose to let the major events of World War II play out historically or command the War themselves, deciding how each battle should be fought.

Updated to v1.2 BETA 3! Please download to obtain the new features!

Instructions:
    1. Download the mod. http://rtw.apolyton.net/files/RtW_1.2_Beta3.zip (400 meg)
    2. Delete the Road to War folder from ..\Beyond the Sword\Mods\ completely.
    3. Unzip the file to your Mods folder: ..\Sid Meiers Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\
    4. Launch BtS and switch to mod The Road to War or select one of the scenarios.
    5. Play as you normally would.

Information:

The current version is RtW Add-on v1.2 BETA 3 for BtS 3.13
    You MUST have the BtS 3.13 patch installed.

Please post all comments and findings and suggestions in this thread.

History:

v1.2 BETA 3:
    Added:
    - Added Albania
    - Added Spanish Civil War
    - Added Italian invasion of Albania

Fixed:
    - Fixed various bugs as report

Changed:
    - Completely redone 1939 maps

v1.2 BETA 2:
    Added:
    - Added Greece, Yugoslavia, Hungary and Romania

Fixed:
    - Bitter Winter bug

Changed:
    - Partisans remobed
    - Airforce base now gives XP to air units
    - Completely redone 1936 maps

v1.2 BETA 1:
    Added:
    - Strategic airbomb mission
    - Fighter engagement mission
    - Graphical stack attack
    - Opportunity fire
    - Active fighter defense

Fixed:
    - Battle effects bug where attributes didn't flow through eg: forest defense bonus
    - Bugs in airbomb missions fixed
    - Other minor bugs as reported over time

Changed:
    - Unit costs altered
    - USA AI aggression increased
    - AI modifications to highlight sea-faring civs for invasions
    - Logical AI for airbomb missions
    - Mission icons for airbomb missions

2. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Can everyone please test this beta update and make comments on the changes, and to request any changes you would like to see. :)

3. Joe Harker

Joe Harker 1st in the Premiership!

Didn't realise i had to post here, this is what i said in the sign up thread

Playing as the USA in the europe 1939 map, overall it's a definite improvement and i particulary like the new bombing missions :goodjob:

However Germany still doesn't invade France in 1940, it invaded in my recent game in Feb 1941 and hasn't move much in a year, just captured 3 cities by Dec 1941. They still don't invade the USSR, either does the USSR invade Germany. On the plus side Germany finished off Poland quickly, although again the USSR only took one city. There is no invasion of Eygpt by Italy when they delcare war either.

You might want to think about making Germany more powerful because it still really doesn't seem to want to attack.

But again it is better than before, i had only twice seen Germany take Paris before this verison and now in the two times i have played they have taken Paris both times.

If it makes any difference i was playing at noble difficulty

Will the global scenrio come out with this update? :)

4. Dale

Dale Chieftain

RtW is not really designed for the '39 mod. Most folks play '36 and the mod is designed for that. Quite simply it's a completely different game if you play '36 as the AI builds up strong then cuts sick. In five Europe '36 test games I've seen Germany power through France by mid '40 and arrow into the heart of USSR by '42, as it should be doing.

And North Africa is usually a strong swinging battle till something major occurs, like Vichy France occurs taking the heat of Italy's west, or USA joins France to eliminate Italy.

There will be new Europe map coming in the next version too.

5. Dale

Dale Chieftain

BETA 2 is now out.

I've completely redone the 1936 Europe and Pacific maps. Let me know what you think of them now. :)

6. SimonB1er

SimonB1er Chieftain

I just download it, installed the way you explained it but it dosen't the new civ?!! When you said "2. Unzip the file to your Road to War Mod folder: ..\Sid Meiers Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\The Road to War\" It look liked it created a new the road to war folder in my already existing one. Can you help me out please?

7. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Sorry bout that. Just move everything from the second "The Road to War" folder down to the first one. :)

So in other words, from \Mods\The Road to War\The Road to War\
    To \Mods\The Road to War\

8. Joe Harker

A few historical nit picks, Czechslovakia was invaded by Germany on the 15th of March 1939.

I get why Austria delcares war on the allies, although i would either allow it to be consumed by Germany in 1936, or have a permant alliance in 1936.

9. Dale

Dale Chieftain

It's only cuz I haven't written the events for what happened yet. :)

10. Joe Harker

Ok, fair enough, it's a reminder then! :)

11. Aurun

Aurun Chieftain

I've tested the new version and I've had a good time (I've only found some translations bugs, I play in spanish).

¿Is there any way to enlarge the amount of turns per month? I thing that if we could had a turn per week it'll give the mod a more realist gameplay. You should create some austriac and at least one czechslovakian city.

What about Spanish Civil War? I think that it's an important event as it was the preview of the Second World War (where Germany, Italy and the URSS tested their men and weapons).

It started in July 17th 1936 when the spanish desert troops in Morocco rise up and with the german and italy help they transported troops to the peninsula where some generals have also raised up (Mola in Navarra, Queipo de llano in Sevilla, etc).

In that war the Luftwaffe tested the Junker Ju 52 and the figher BF109 and appeared the first german aces like Werner Mölders. The spanish "national" (rised) army also had Panzers I and the italian soldiers used the bomber Sparviero, etc.

It would give nice improvements to the 1936 scenario. What would happened if the Republican army had won the war (they surely'd help the allies), and what would happened if Franco'd entered in the axis treaty (in the interview he'd in Hendaya with Hitler).

PD: Sorry for my english as you could notice I'm not and english speaker xD

12. Dale

Dale Chieftain

In the Beta2 1936 Europe maps you'll see that has actually happened. :)

In Beta2 I swapped the old Nationalist Spain to Republican Spain. I just haven't written the SCW events yet. That'll be in the next version. :)

No problems, I understood everything you said. :)

13. Aurun

Aurun Chieftain

True, now the map looks wonderful :)

Great news! I'll be waiting for the next update with great impatience.

PD: If anytime you want to translate the new things to spanish I'll be glad to help you (just send me PM with the text).

14. Fin Imperial

Fin Imperial Monarchist

I do have the Add-On Pack and the Bts 3.13 installed. I extract (It is the same than unzip, right? I ain't so good with computers) the file into ..\Sid Meiers Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\The Road to War\
    It loads a couple of seconds and when I try to play it, it just gives an error message and I have click about 1000 times 'ok' for something like 'TECH_MINING incorrect Info text...' and so on. In the end, game tilts.

15. dziban303

dziban303 Chieftain

I've had the beta installed for a few days now and everything seems to be OK.

One subject that should be addressed (if it hasn't been--I'm not sure I've seen this in the new beta) are the religious events, like marriages and so forth. I think it's a little weird when so-and-so is having a Fascist wedding against the wishes of a Neutral family.

Another is the Soviet fighter airplanes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the improved fighter an Il-2? I'm sure its been pointed out that the Il-2 was a ground attack aircraft first and foremost. In the hands of a very good pilot it could win in a dogfight but generally this was something to be avoided. What's the reasoning behind using it as the level 2 fighter?

There are several other types which would be more appropriate. I assume the general idea is that the early fighter would be pre-war, the improved fighter would be a late-war aircraft and the jet fighter would be an early jet if possible or the best piston fighter otherwise. Using those criteria, I'd use the Yak-3 as the improved fighter, as it is generally recognized as one of the finest planes of the war. Also, several other jets came before the MiG-15, which wasn't introduced until 1949--the MiG-9 and Yak-15 are the two I can think of. Both were outclassed by the -15 but might make more sense in the game.

Aside from these and some other trivial cosmetic gripes, Road to War is far and away the best Civ4 mod I've seen. Great work all around.

16. HiRezAudio

HiRezAudio Chieftain

Just about to start a new one with this build tonight (Had to finish off the previous 1.1 warfirst, which went terribly. Loaded the saved game and suddenly found I could no longer build nukes, and just got one off on Bremen. Had another dozen building.....ah well. Then, in a single turn - I was just finishing off Italy (Jan 45) and France went from ally to enemy with a sneak attack)

Scrapped that one, and will fire up tonight & report back.

17. dziban303

dziban303 Chieftain

Ah yes, I forgot to report that my ability to build nukes vanished in the last beta. I think I saw a thread here that mentioned this problem occurring after one saves a game and then loads it. That's what happened to me. I don't think I've gotten to atomic weapons yet since playing the new beta, so I don't know if that was fixed or not.

I got irritated, loaded WB and gave myself the nukes I would have had.

Plus a few more for my trouble.

I hate cheating, but I do it often enough. I usually limit cheating to giving myself 5000 gold, although I guess there's not much difference between doing that, and giving yourself techs or a stack of invincible units.

Incidentally, what changes specifically were made on the '36 Europe map in the new build?

18. Aurun

Aurun Chieftain

When is going to be realeased the next update?

19. Yakk

Yakk Cheftan

I tried moving the original folder then installing the add on pack in it's place, then installing beta 2 -- the resulting game didn't work.

So I blitted the original, followed by a combo of the add on pack and beta 2 -- the resulting game crashed.

Which is the correct installation order:
    1> Start with 3.13 BTS civ
    2> Install the 1.1 add on pack over the road to war mod.
    3> Install beta2 over the road to war mod.

OR
    1> Start with 3.13 BTS civ
    2> Move The Road to War out of the way or delete it
    3> Install the 1.1 RTW Add-on pack into a new "mods\The Road To War" directory.
    4> Install beta 2 over the add-on pack.

I've managed to read two different contradictory sets of instructions about this. :)

20. dziban303

dziban303 Chieftain

You need to first delete the original RtW folder. Then install the RtW Add-on pack. Then install the 1.1 patch. Then install the beta. I think. That's how I recall doing it, at any rate.