Rubrum's GURPS - United Humanity Long Distance Exploration

"Well,what to do now? We've got brown goo on the ship and were not sure what it is or if it's hazardous to us"

[Fraser searches for anymore info about the missing crew and what happened, as well as preparing a map of what areas of the ship need attention. Presumably while further conversation goes on.] "That's what I'm doing Gregory. Eh, you're the only one who saw any 'brown goo' Nozomi, maybe you should go back down and find it again?"

"I'm gonna need someone with me with a flashlight so I can prove it to them. If not, y'all would think I am crazy pointing out brown goo" Nozomi stated. Before anyone asks why, she stated "I adapt quickly in the night, I can only act as a guide to anyone not so well adapted in the night. Hense the need for the other person needing the flashlight."

"Um, guys" Alex interrupts, "I turned the lights on when I powered up the ship, no torch required. Gregory you should have noticed the lack of darkness in the hallway when you came up here."

Spoiler :
Durr, stupid Kan is stupid. It was late at night and I figured I better post something quick as I wouldn't be on until late today. My own fault - only read CG's post for reference.

GM (is back) UPDATE POST

When trying to find out more about the ship's integrity, one other thing Alex Fraser noted in the computer systems was that the huge trap door that opened in the hangar bay on Floor C that was used to exit the spaceship with the small vehicles was open (vehicles = large 6 wheeled all-terrain sealed vehicle with 7 spots and a gun on top, and a small space craft to hover around the ship or make the first landing on Gliese 581g). He tried to close it but the ship's power wasn't allowing the maneuver. This room was accessed through an airlock and its vacuum didn't affect the rest of floor C. Everything else about the ship seemed fine considering the situation, except for the decreased power coming from the fission power plant downstairs. For the same reason the hangar door refused to close, the factory was refusing to wake up, the lights there were still shut down in there, but the atmosphere had been reestablished with the corridor's [the door between corridor and factory was already open remember]. The commands to open the blinds of the control room to see ahead and move the terminals around the room and distribute tasks to various crew were fine and available. Along with the comm system that could be used if everybody had their own personal computers on arm. However sending long distance signals was not available. The middle hull, with ALL the ship's cargo, was accessible through floor C. There was almost an infinite wealth of stuff they were going to need on their mission [read: almost anything you'd want from the books]. The rear hull, the seat of the ship's propulsion system, was almost useless by now except for its fuel; it had used everything it had to send UHLDE Odyssey 2169 to where it was now...

Laszlo's in situ investigation of Dankevych's demise was almost impossible. He attempted to use some of the tools in the crash first aid kit recovered from the container earlier, but it was useless.

Spoiler :
Laszlo Diagnostic skill
Target numer = 15 (SL) - 5 (diff. mod) - 5 (improvised equipment) = 5... quite tough on 3d6
Roll 3d = 6+3+1 = 10 ... FAILURE

There were no ways to take the body as it broke apart almost like cotton candy... He took a few samples and put them in a small clear flask that came with the hazmat container kit. (Unless he had anything else to say...) ...he shut down the pod and started heading for the sick bay (without noticing any brown lumps...) where he stumbled on Gregory and Valentine climbing down the emergency ladder [I guess you guys could start using the main path between Floor A and B and C, which is in the briefing room]. The sick bay was equipped with a TL9 diagnostic bed, very high tech... Except in the current situation of the remains, information gathering would probably require something more akin to a biology or chemistry lab...

Gregory and Dr. Martin were going to exchange a few words and already Nozomi Valentine was staring out the corridor... Where she could not see any masses on the power cords.

Alex realizes he doesn't need both the suit and the arm computer (since both have communicators) and goes down to join the others to decide what to do next. He goes through the main door to the conference room.

GM UPDATE POST (short)

Alex walked down stairs into the briefing room. The stairs could continue down to floor C provided the door was opened. The briefing room had an oval wooden table and chairs around it. It was quite slick, with a logo of the UHLDE mission in front where a presenter would be speaking with a screen. The chairs were super deluxe. The lighting was white and smooth. There were small computer terminals at each seat, which all connected to mainframe. He circled the table and exited through a door into the corridor where he noticed the rest of the crew in the doorway of the sick bay. He joined them.

"Well!" Laszlo began with mock cheer, addressing everyone, "the bad news is that Dr. Dankevych is very, very dead. Surprise. The even worse news is that I've got no idea what killed him, and I can't begin to process the samples I've taken without access to proper lab equipment. So, uh, keeping that pod closed would probably be a particularly clever thing for you guys to do for the time being."

Alex takes a mental note to hold all future meetings in those expensive and comfy looking chairs as he passes through the conference room, which was also delightfully empty of mysterious brown goo things (probably just after effects from the stasis that Nozomi is dealing with he thought).

Joining the others in the hallway outside the sick bay he says "Good to see you again Martin, how did Dr. Dan- oh." as Martin delivers the bad news. "Ugh, RIP".

"In good news most of the ship is intact. The only damage seems to be the hull breach in the lab which we will need to fix. There should be plenty of material to do so in the main cargo hold. However, our engine still is not giving us more than 39% of max power and I can't close the hanger door... which is also open for some reason."

"I'd like to go check on the engine first, in which case I can leave the vacc suit for someone else to use to fix the hull breach or close the hanger door. And I'll need someone to help me with the engine, just in case."

As Nozomi escourts the group to the breefing room. Nozomi asks herself why Gregory called her a Yank when she's not from Vermont nor a Yankees Baseball fan.

Alex wonders why Nozomi leaves the group mid-conversation and watches as she walks into the briefing room, alone.

*awkward pause*

"Oookay that was odd, oh well the chairs in there look pretty comfy anyway so we might as well sit down in there while we decide what to do next."

Alex follows Nozomi into the briefing room and takes a seat in a comfy chair.

Gregory walked into the briefing room, but didn't take a seat.

Spoiler :
What is our objective here? I would assume repair hull breach would take priority over the engines.

Spoiler :
[The hull breach is contained, and we only have two vacc suits anyway so two of us can't help repair it regardless. Getting the engine up and running at full speed is a really good idea imo. And we can discuss this IC...]

Spoiler :
Yep, I don't have anything to add except that the characters are now in the briefing room.

This is a point where some course of action needs to be decided in a clearer way. Go proactivity, although I hope everybody feels like their character has at least one small thing to say on the situation.

"Well, it strikes me that the engine takes top priority. If Fraser wants to have a look at it, then by all means, let him. Nozomi, Laszlo, is there anything else that you need doing?"

Spoiler :
@Scamp, I know, but after the "I can see in the dark when the lights were on" thing, I though I better double check :p

"No, I agree, the engine takes priority. There's not much I can do personally at the moment without access to the equipment in the lab but that's obviously not possible with the hull breach, and there's no sense wasting time repairing that at the moment. Mobility takes precedence."

Top Bottom