Ruff05 - Team SG

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by ruff_hi, Jul 10, 2006.

1. ruff_hi

ruff_hi Live 4ever! Or die trying

I've been playing a few team games with where I am teamed with AI controlled CIVs against other AIs lately. I am also playing a multi-player team game with some RB people. Last week end, I played a hot seat multi-player game. All of this combined as sparked the following ...

A team SG game involving 5 civilizations in 1 team in a pitched 'always war' battle against 5 teamed Emperor or Immortal AIs. We will control all of our Civs (no leaving it up to the stupid AI) but we will be playing against another team of 5 AI controlled Civs. I'm looking for expressions of interest to play in this SG but not on a first come, first serve basis - those that I have played with before will get an advantage.

Our Civs: Random but happy to discuss
    Their Civs: Random but happy to discuss
    Difficulty: Emperor or Immortal
    Geography: Fractal (but not if it generates two continents)
    Victory Conditions: All enabled
    Variant Rule: NIL

Roster:
    Ruff_Hi
    Ozbenno
    Conroe
    Jeejeep
    Hamtastic

2. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Sounds interesting. I'm in if you'll have me.

Only point I'd make is that, with controlling 5 civs, once the action heats up the turns are going to take a while. Maybe reduce turnsets to 5 once the eternal war starts.

3. Conroe

Conroe √∞

I'm interested. I must admit, I am having trouble visualizing the game mechanics. We are going to play 5 civs, in hotseat fashion, for 10 turns? Isn't that the equivalent of like 50 turns per set? :eek: I agree with Ozbenno, we may need to reduce the number of turns or even the number of civs.

4. jeejeep

jeejeep qwertyuiop

I am interested, but will it be easier than normal emperor or immortal? If not, I might be able to do emperor, but definitely not Immortal. I also don't have much AW experience.

5. ruff_hi

I was thinking 10 for the first set and then 5 there after. Teching will be very fast so the game will not be too long.

6. Cosmichail

Cosmichail Dark Lord of The Sith

Lurking.....

I will be watching this SG with fascination and keen interest. I like the concept and have often wondered about having a game with humans controlling civs rather than AI's. Even better having humans control 5 and go against 5 AI civs on that level. Again will be lurking...

7. Tatran

Tatran Deity

Maybe you guys should first read the 3 Team versus 3 Team,a SG
    earlier this year.One of their cities got hit with +42 war weariness. :eek:

8. Cosmichail

Cosmichail Dark Lord of The Sith

Tatran,

That's a good point since they will be at war always. I personally would just like to see a game with only human players no AI just a thought...

Do you remember the name of the SG I would like to read it...

9. Ozbenno

I would imagine it would be easier than normal emperer or immortal, but not having tried anything like this don't know for sure. You essentially could split up the tech research 5 ways! Have one civ going straight for alphabet from the get go!

Assuming it is easier, if the level is emperor, how about the 5 AIs are all aggressive?

10. berserks01

berserks01 Obviously Very Confused

I too have been thinking about this type of gameplay, but I'm not emperor nor immortal player. Just a humble prince player here, who will definitely be lurking if this gets going :)

11. ruff_hi

It is actually better if you all research the same tech. In that way, instead of getting 5 techs at the end of turn 10 (say) - you get 1 tech every 2nd turn. At the end of turn 10, you are in the same position, but you have been able to use Tech #1 for 8 turns, #2 for 6 turns, etc.

12. Conroe

Conroe √∞

IIRC, research costs go up in a team game. I'm thinking it is something like a 50% increase, but it could be based upon the number of teams. Honestly, I don't know the formula, but I'm pretty sure they are more expensive than a normal non-team game.

13. jeejeep

jeejeep qwertyuiop

Still, it won't go up anything near 500%.

14. Tatran

Tatran Deity

15. ruff_hi

We have 4 players. We could do with 1 (or 2) more - any suggestions regarding possibles? Also, any discussion on the structure of the game? Is 5 civs to control too much? Should we go with 4? How would people feel about taking on the Diety AI? I love a challenge!

16. Conroe

Conroe √∞

I'm ok with the structure of the game that you have laid out. (ie 5v5 with 5 turns per set). Deity, though, I'm not too sure about. I'm not comfortable that I could effectively manage 5 civs at that level.

17. Ozbenno

I'm probably going to run a test game this weekend, as I've never played with teams before. Will play to 0AD at least. I'm going to try emporer, so I'll let y'all know how easy/hard it was on this level and also how long the turnd were taking. Deity might be pushing it a bit.

18. jeejeep

jeejeep qwertyuiop

I think four would be fine, but what do I know? I'll start a test game today.

19. jeejeep

jeejeep qwertyuiop

I started a test game, didn't get very far but I have one major observation.

Compared to commerce, production is very slow. I played on epic, but research was like normal speed. We might want to give everyone a slight production boost to make up.

Otherwise, it was very fun, even playing with the stupid AIs. Is this going to get started?

20. hamtastic

hamtastic Hamburglar

Signing in for action, if you'll have me.

Bad Idea: Who wants to do something absolutely ridiculous like have all warmonger civs on our side and all financial on the other side? :eek: It would be a tad crazy...

Bad Idea 2: We could be Gandhi and just build a crapload of fast workers to upgrade everyone else's land (ok, I don't know if it lets you do that in a team game, but it would be funny)