1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruins of Amur

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by cyther, Mar 9, 2010.

1. cyther

cyther Lord of the Dance

Here is the Alpha version for the Ruins of Amur modmod. It is based mostly off of the old ideas that Lutefisk mafia has for his Dungeon Adventure.

Right now it is only in to test out mechanics and find bugs. I don't even have any TXT_KEYs written. It is essentially a proof of concept right now, plus it's pretty fun to play.

Link to download here.

Play instructions:

Load a play now game to clear options.
    Exit to main menu and play a custom game.
    Select the option NO HELL TERRAIN.

Spoiler Pics :

The Following Civs are in:
    • Elohim
    • Bannor
    • Ljosalfar
    • Amurites
    • Lanun
    • Sidar
    • Calabim
    • Sheaim
    • Khazad
    • Illians
    • Austerin
    • Scions
    • Mechanos
    • Infernals
    • Mercurians

New Features
    1) Movable Resources
    Any resource on the map can be taken by any unit and brought to your lands. Be careful about taking resources that are owned by other players...

2) Base Camp
    You only have one settler in this game and can only gain other cities by capturing them form enemies. These cities have a set population and they will not rise if from food. You have to purchase assistants called "minions" from the surface to add population to your Base Camp.

3) Minions and Leaders
    You start the game with a number of units. One of the most important is the Leader. He is the main force behind your expedition into the ruins and if he dies there is no replacement.

Another new type of unit is the minion. Minions can be hired for 200 gold and can be used to add population to your base camp. Any unit except the Leader starts with the Minion promotion which allows this ability. Minions can be taken out of the city directly for defense or you can spend production to upgrade them before calling them out. When an upgraded unit is put back into a city it will return to the normal "worker-like" form if it is taken out again.

4) Additional Victories
    There are very different victories in this mod.
    1. Time - Standard Victory
    2. Conquest - In addition to the normal victory, you must kill the undying lord of the dungeon itself. (Right now that means kill the bland dungeon civ)
    3. Horde - Get 20000 gold and the Dragon's Horde
    4. Religious - Bring the power of the gods back into Erebus. A small sacrifice in blood may be able to free up enough magic to contact them (not implemented yet)
    5. The Mine - This is not the first time men have tried to pillage The Ruins. An earlier attempt was quite ambitious, they tried to meld a Mechanos "Computation Engine" with the magic that had existed in Amur. If there was a way to get it to work, the entire city could be controlled by your party. Perhaps if that fabled "Crown of "Akharien" was found we could find a way... (crown can just be built as of now, I intend to add in an epic quest)
    6. Covenant - Back in the early parts of the age, 7 armies fought over this land. They each left a valuable item to draw the magic of area away. In the end they died but the gems remain. Scout reports say that the lord of the dungeon would be willing to trade these gems for his alliance... (not implenented yet)

Lutefisk Mafia, for just about everything
    Kael and FfH team, for FfH
    Vehem, Xienwolf, and the FF team, for FF
    Valk and RifE team, for RifE

2. cyther

cyther Lord of the Dance

Future Updates

• Place Unique Features
    • Enable all victories
    • Redo Magic (most spells make no sense now)
    • Fix bugs
    • Fix TXT_KEYS

Next patch
    • Place Unique Features
    • Art for Unique features
    • Enable all victories
    • Fix TXT_KEYS
    • Put a leach on Acheron
    • Necromancers for the "Dungeon" civ

3. cyther

cyther Lord of the Dance

Ideas and other things.

1) I hope to add religion in differently. I want it to have more power but be harder to get.

2) Adding a better upgrade path for the leader would be helpful.

3) Adding more flavor to the "Dungeon" civ. I want them to be unique and powerful. Not a D'Tesh clone.

4) Won't every game end in Acheron killing everyone? There is no unit has could stand up to him and he roams freely throughout the map.

4. cyther

cyther Lord of the Dance

Last reserved

5. odalrick

odalrick Chieftain

I try not to nitpick, but since it's an early release and it drives me crazy:

Horde: a large group, multitude, number, etc.; a mass or crowd: a horde of orcs.

Hoard: a supply or accumulation that is hidden or carefully guarded for preservation, future use, etc.: a hoard of gold.

So unless you are going to use those 20000:gold: to hire several dozen dragons, please change it to "Hoard - Get 20000 gold and the Dragon's Hoard".;)

6. SIMPA

SIMPA Chieftain

Wow :eek: looking at the picture from download database it looks like it is not civ4 that is use for a base for this mod...
    Very impressive!!

7. cyther

cyther Lord of the Dance

Haha, will do. The hire several dragons idea might work. I'll probably add a condition after the victory so you get some dragons if you select "one more turn".

Thanks, a lot of the work isn't even mine. I am just using a lot of amazing art and code created over the five years of civ4 modding with a few of my little tricks and edits.

8. Milaga

Milaga Chieftain

It's a little hard.

My scout didn't make it very far before being eaten by Acheron. Then about 20 turns later a minotaur came in and killed the lone warrior I had defending my base camp.

I tried starting another game, but it has crashed twice and froze on "Initializing" once.

9. Lutefisk Mafia

Lutefisk Mafia Inscrutable Enforcer

Cyther, I absolutely love the direction you have taken here. Much of what I had sort of hoped to eventually get around to doing in a DA version, you have accomplished.

I suspect it is my DA mapscript base that is causing the initialization crashes. Cyther, would you be willing to work with me to try to isolate the error?

In my DA mapscript, the code is organized into blocks that accomplish different checks and map additions. I had tried to isolate the source of errors by commenting these out until I got a totally stable build and then expanding back out. I never could quite isolate the problem child code though. To help move this along, though, I'd be willing to rededicate my DA mapscript thread to be a working group to identify those errors.

Any assistance or advice you may have to accomplish that would be most welcome! Once we get those pesky bugs squashed, I will look forward to what becomes of this mod!