Ruins upgrading your units

nekom

Warlord
Just FYI, and if this has already been posted sorry didn't notice it, I did a series of tests today with some memory hacks and discovered that IN THEORY, a scout can be upgraded to a mech infantry via discovering ruins and nothing else.

This was on a continents huge map, 12 civs, discovering every ruin on the continent in one turn.

Mind you in practice this will never happen, but IN THEORY there seems to be no limit to how far a unit can be upgraded in this manner.

I just like the fact the when a scout is upgraded, he keeps his ability of not being affected by terrain movement costs. Oh, and I have NEVER had the same unit be upgraded by ruins more than once a game.

You just need 2 Ruins to possibly upgrade your scout into a Crossbow - or even worse - Cho Ko Nu.
And hitting 2 upgrade ruins isn't that far fetched at all.
A 3500 BC Cho Ko Nu can wipe out a civilization :)

The terrain ignoring archer is pretty nuts when fighting near a river.

You just need 2 Ruins to possibly upgrade your scout into a Crossbow - or even worse - Cho Ko Nu.
And hitting 2 upgrade ruins isn't that far fetched at all.
A 3500 BC Cho Ko Nu can wipe out a civilization :)

No, that ISN'T far fetched, in fact I had a scout upgraded to an archer when I had NOT researched archery in a normal game, which is why I wanted to test this. All I did was memhack infinite movement points in a test game and grabbed each ruin on the continent I started on, and by the time I grabbed them all (dozen, maybe two) my scout was a mech infantry on turn 1 of the game.

Well with so many players it is bound to happen to some, but I have gotten through the scouting phase of about 12 games and not ever gotten more than 3 or 4 ruins, much less 2 unit upgrades. But then again I increase the number of AIs and play on emporer etc.

I'm not happy with my ancient ruins in the last few games. All I seem to get is "we've found you a barbarian camp'. Yea thanks for that ruins, i would have found them in the next turn anyway, not that I even like them.

freakin' Atlanteans and Thulians, such sloths, leaving their toys and tools behind for the fledgling Civs. :cool:

Edit: I like the idea of ruins upgrading your units. It gives some sense of mythical predecessors.

Discovering ruins gave me locations of barbarian encampments. On the other side of the world.

The worst of the worst is in the mid game... I sent my top of the line new cavalry to Australia in my latest Huge Marathon Earth match. He came back a Modern Armor. Problem was that he required aluminum to fight at full efficiency... Doesn't really matter though, because it is still a Modern Armor.

What would make more sense, I think, is making changes to facilitate promotions via ruins, not full-blown unit upgrades.

The best I have gotten is a very early pikeman. Somewhere around 3500 BC.

I was trying Bollywood India out and it and later on, it and war elephants beat the crap out of Monty. :D

I once got a TANK because I was upgrading one single Companion Cavalry like crazy. Decided to declare war to the Iriquois and when I attacked the city my glorious Tank had -40% Penalty when attacking city and -50% because I did not have the strategic resource.

Go Str 8!

Yep, on a Terra map, the New World is often inhabited only by city-states and tons of barbarian brutes and archers... once I hit Astronomy, I sent a caravel and a spare knight over. Earned tons of gold, and several city-state allies (from destroying barbarian encampments and freeing captured city-state workers), and the knight was upgraded to a tank.

The tank is at half-strength without Oil, but still quite dangerous.

I myself only managed to get to Pikemen with warriors but i once saw an AI with riflemen in the ancient era... Which is quite ridiculous . Id prefer ruins to give +x EXP instead of plain upgrades.

I think there is nothing wrong with upgrades. They just need to be limited to one era over yours.

For example, it's ok to get archers, if you don't have archers, or crossbowmen if you have archers. But if unit is already at tech level above yours, then it shouldn't be allowed to upgrade even more.

At least, that's how I would fix it.

P.S.
That -50% penalty is pretty nice feature. Never knew about that.

Top Bottom