1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rule Britannia. England Strategy Guide.

Discussion in 'Civ3 Strategy Articles' started by Zardnaar, May 14, 2004.

1. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

on an arch map with little land, if you have the island to yourself, you don't need any other defense, except for some of whatever is the best offensive unit available to deal with AI's that make it through your navy.

2. Weird_bug

Weird_bug Chieftain

1. On archipelago they RULE. Seafearing plonks you by the sea, and so you get +1 gold immeadiately(Does commercial not kick in at metetropilis size?)
    2. If you are on archipelago, the enimy will come by sea!:lol: (Probably not at all).

3. Soaring Tiger

Soaring Tiger Chieftain

I rarely play as the Brits, but I have a certain fondness of England, mostly when I have 13780 gold in the early industrious age;) . England's main strength is how they can dominate the world's economy. But, any early land wars can really damage your chances of being the world's banker. Be warned!

4. zerksees

zerksees in remission

OK my son thought England was the worst civ (he's 8), so I decided to try them on a small pangaea. After some futile attempts at Sid (against Persia, Russia, Korea, Greece and Germany), I decided to try emperor level.

The start was not great - no grassland tiles, only 1 wheat on plains and a lot of flood plains (the kind that make 0 shields). I was able to keep up with the AI in expansion, and landed a couple lux, though there were no horses or iron anywhere to be found. Not much unique to playing England. Keeping up in tech was easy. Did not get much seafaring benefit since I found all except Greece without building a boat. (Greece was on their own landmass - so much for pangaea)

Kept the AI busy fighting each other and knocked out the Koreans, first to east, then Germany (only one to west). Germany sent a lot of units in the good fight against Russia until the ROP ran out and I turned on them. Actually built a longbow army since I did not have iron yet. Lucikly I got some saltpeter for muskets. Once Germany was out I gained their iron, one less land flank, and a lot of power. From there I went after Russia. Once Russia was down to no visible cities I had magnetism and built the man-o-war. With them I hunted down a Russian galley (thought it was settler in a boat) and later their last city. Of course this started the golden age. The man-o-war was awesome. It had movement of 6! I liked it so well I DOW Persia and Greece right away to sink more ships. Soon I controlled the seas and used them to patrol enemy shores. This allowed me to move almost all my land units forward and fuel the destruction of the Persian and then Greek empire. Finished up the conquest at 1100AD before my golden age ended.

Long story to say the man-o-war was a great UU in this situation - even though I was not on an archi or continents map. Frigates have marginal value to me, so this beefed up one was fun to play. I was surprised it had any value at all in this game.

I can see the power of the seafaring on an archi map. A big stack of man-o-wars could probably keep the AI off your island with just about any kind of ship. I'd definitely keep some around to try and take and enslave enemy battleships - that would be a story to tell.

Have to try demi-god next time, though I doubt my son would think England is the worst civ anymore.

5. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Chieftain

Ayone else ever try out England. THinking of finishing the reviews off after I buy another copy of conquests. Better late than never:)

6. Racinante

Racinante Dragon

Odd, you showing up at this time. The latest Civ 3 game of the month is England, Diety, Archipelago, for Conquests. Since I've never won a diety game, I will be changing my playing style to focus on the commerce benefits and tech buys. Here's to hoping for a good showing, if not a win.

Thanks!

7. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Chieftain

Convenient. I wrote the guide years ago and Its good up to Emperor level. I used to play on Deity but haven't won with England on it. Sounds like an ideal map for England. You should be able to win, but how quick????? You may be better off spending Englands money on military units.

8. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

True, better late than never. Was there something you were interesting in having others try with Liz? I can't say that I have played England more than a few times. The only game I even recall was a vanilla one. Someone was saying they were not able to handle a large pan map with England.

I think the expansion trait was their complaint. Funny thing is that is the trait that was so strong on that map. Anyway I suspect most would prefer to use Byz on an island map and Theo is better looking. Not so grouchy in her countenance.

9. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Chieftain

Turns out I can't find the conquests disk, and I have bought a new computer since I wrote these articles. Also CivIII gold edition doesn't seem to want to install on the new PC.

Racinate I would be tempted to give that GoTM a go but see previous paragraph. Ironically I'm playing England in a WW2 game called Hearts of Iron2. In a way similar to Civ England as I'm using the navy to shutte units to France, England, Africa, Yugoslavia, Greece, North Africa, Burma and Italy depending on where I want to make a stand vs the Germans. England is probably one of the better seafaring civs on a Pangea map, probably beaten by Netherlands. The commercial trait is still great and you can settle a few coastal cities and expand inland.

Wonder if the Civ disk is in the old computer. Have to go digging as I want to play Conquests again LOL.

10. Optional

Optional Chieftain

There has been a no-CD patch, lately incorporated in a file in this thread. I don't know if that might help on your old computer.

11. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Chieftain

The old computer basically died on me . I haven't played Civ III for 2-3 years. It was probably m favourite civ of all time as I didn't like Civ IV that much but loved Civ I, II and Revolution.

12. BlackWizard

BlackWizard Chieftain

I just got space race victory with england on demigod level. I didnt build single man o war. Map was standard and continents

13. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Chieftain

Any Civ can do well if played right. This guide was posted 7 and a half years ago lol.

14. Jivilov

Jivilov Chieftain

After years of playing with Rome (love that legionary!), I decided to have a go with my favorite seafaring tribe. Attached are a couple files for anyone's amusement. Incidentally I didn't choose this map; the game setup was random. This looks like an easy win, but ya never know...

Attached Files:

15. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Chieftain

Bump.