Rule Britannia! - The first "true" mod for Civ 4.

Sadistik

Warlord
Rule Britannia!

A custom North-western Europe scenario with fully functioning custom civs and appropriate start locations. Thanks where necessary to those whose work I borrowed for this project.

IN THE GAME:
Custom Map [Vadus] (Link)
Custom Viking Flag [Sadistik]
Custom Scenario Config [Sadistik]
Ireland [Sadistik] (Link)
Wales [Sadistik] (Link)
Scotland [WaxonWaxov] (Link)
Brittany [LAnkou] (Link)
Vikings [CivArmy s. 1994] (Link)
France [Default]
England [Default]

TO BE ADDRESSED:
Viking starting position (Trondheim) should be in real life Trøndelag.
Welsh flag needs to be resized.
Too many countries have early UU's.

UNDER CONSIDERATION:
Removing unnecessary religions.
Possible addition of Odinism.
Possible addition of Druidism.
Replacing France with LAnkou's "Celts" civ (and editing them to becoming exclusively Gaulish).

Oh, and of course, I'm open to any ideas you may throw at me, so feel free to do so, no matter how stupid you think they may be.

Download Here

Yes! Version 2 is still coming. Be patient ;)

A good preview of what should be an excellent mod. About the early UU comment; personally I'd like each civ to get multiple UUs, but have them spaced out over the eras. Not too important for your mod, but my 2 cents.

Is it during a set timeframe or using default Civ4 rules?

woodelf said:
A good preview of what should be an excellent mod. About the early UU comment; personally I'd like each civ to get multiple UUs, but have them spaced out over the eras. Not too important for your mod, but my 2 cents.

Is it during a set timeframe or using default Civ4 rules?
Default timeframe. If I were to add the Gauls, it wouldn't make sense for them to share the same timeframe with people who lived 1,500 years after they did. ;)

As for a preview, the threads I linked to all have screenshots of the related civs / maps in them.

Sadistik said:
As for a preview, the threads I linked to all have screenshots of the related civs / maps in them.

I wasn't being sarcastic, but truthful. Putting these civs together makes for a great preview IMO.

As for the timeframe....I was wondering if you planned on going into the Industrial era or ending it around the Middle Ages. I'll most likely add my own files to this mod so I can have more turns in the early eras and end the game around the advent of gunpowder. :mischief:

woodelf said:
I wasn't being sarcastic, but truthful. Putting these civs together makes for a great preview IMO.

As for the timeframe....I was wondering if you planned on going into the Industrial era or ending it around the Middle Ages. I'll most likely add my own files to this mod so I can have more turns in the early eras and end the game around the advent of gunpowder. :mischief:
If it works out well, you might be asked to share with the rest of us. ;)

As for multiple UU's, a second could work for most civs. There was a big debate over which the Vikings would give up -- Berzerker or Longboat. I'm sure people would be happy to see both.

I only see problems with countries like Brittany where even the UU they have now is dubious. Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table were Welsh/Cornish, not Breton ;)

Not to stomp on any toes...but you call this the first "true" MOD for Civ4...It's description sounds more like a scenario with custom rules however...

You've done an impressive job other than that!
Keep up the good work!

No new unit graphics = true mod ? ROFL...

I hope they'll release sdk soon... These 'mods' are more like rule changes, not mods, nth worth playing.

FexFX said:
Not to stomp on any toes...but you call this the first "true" MOD for Civ4...It's description sounds more like a scenario with custom rules however...

You've done an impressive job other than that!
Keep up the good work!
Well, if religions are to be added, it'll have a scenario, units, civs, and religions. It was a propagandistic choice of a title, I'll confess to that sin.

Crash757 said:

I hope they'll release sdk soon... These 'mods' are more like rule changes, not mods, nth worth playing.
Well, since we can't animate yet, all people can do is skin the existing graphics. I'm not fond of that, so I let other people go down that route. I'll wait until I can animate.

Haarbal said:
the custom civs have new unit graphs.
search for those mods if you want to see them
Interesting. I knew that only some apolyton folks have started some real unit making, first time i hear someone here is also making new units :)

...or are those 'new' graphics just reskinned versions of old ?

Crash757 said:
Interesting. I knew that only some apolyton folks have started some real unit making, first time i hear someone here is also making new units :)

...or are those 'new' graphics just reskinned versions of old ?

the units are reskinned, because there is no program yet to create your own models, except for one, but that exceeds most peoples budgets (if i recall correctly, it's about $20.000-$30.000, so if you got some spare cash:crazyeye: )

except for one, but that exceeds most peoples budgets (if i recall correctly, it's about $20.000-$30.000, so if you got some spare cash )
Well, one could also download that program via some p2p. Or is it so rare that there's no pirated copies out there ? :confused:

Moderator Action: Okay, you've been here long enough to know that this is not tollerated here. Warned.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Crash757 said:
Well, one could also download that program via some p2p. Or is it so rare that there's no pirated copies out there ? :confused:
Well, for those of us who live in the States, Pirating is a serious legal matter. I'd rather not take my chances. :)

Anyway, to bring things back on topic, You win. It's not a "real mod" in the sense that it doesn't have completely new units with new skins, nor does it have completely new animated leaderheads, simply because that's beyond the resources of any mere mortal at this time.

Crash757 said:

Well, for many people, a good mod and scenario doesnt have to be full of new units and so, only rule changes, new tech tree, a good map, etc.
Nothing about all that animated units that ruin the game.

new tech tree
That's what i like. But religions are the old ones and that's lame x_x
Imagine hinduism in medieval Britannia, lol...

Crash757 said:
That's what i like. But religions are the old ones and that's lame x_x
And if you read the first post you'd see that I was looking to ditch the old ones in future versions. This was just what I was able to put together in a few hours.

Christianity can stay I suppose, but what good do far-eastern religions do in Northern Europe?

Actually, As far as "real mod" or not "real mod" or "Scenario" there really are no true definitions...
I tend to think of a MOD as something that changes the game and adds to it while its still the same game...Adding new game speeds, techs, civs, etc...
Scenarios are something more heavily flavored, something aimed at a specific goal or set of circumstances. A Mod that includes a Large Map of italy and allows you to play out the last days of the Roman empire on a month by month basis with an entirely new tech tree, set of rules, seasonal weather, new units, and geographically specific civs as your opponents...would be a Scenario...
To be fair your Mod straddles that fine line between MOD and Scenario...BUT whether or not you have new 3d graphics in your MOD has nothign to do with it being a REAL mod or not!

Well.. to me a scenario is at least custom map, custom rules, redesigned tech trees, specific time line, civs get unit tweaks based on scenario.

A mod is well, you have to restart the game to apply those changes.. and after that map doesn't matter, you can go pick a bloody random one.

Since you have a time in mind and a map (northern Europe), and other changes listed in first post.. I say it fits a 'Scenario' more than a 'Mod'

No biggie though it's still great! Look forward to playing it soon!

just a word to say that, unless you use the celts mod, i'm not the modder of scotland....

i'm happy you use brittany, that's my most beloved mod (i've done) especially the work on Anne de Bretagne animated LH

Top Bottom