Rule By Might: A stay in Despotism Succession Game

I have seen better turns. Loosing cities wouldn't be so bad if you didn't loose techs. We probably didn't get partisents because the romans were liberating the cities.

Prof. Garfield said:
I have seen better turns. Loosing cities wouldn't be so bad if you didn't loose techs. ,.

I agree. The problem was that Romans and Mongols have too much troops for attack. Maybe if I only defend our cities, it would be better - but I doubt it. Good challenge for you, now. :goodjob:

A few items now, details tomorrow. I lost a few cities as well, got some of them back (decided not to go for all of them -- aimed for defendable borders.)

We now have 20 barracks (instead of the five a few short turns ago.) Also added a couple more airports making the total 14.

After the Mongols bought a couple of our cities, I pulled back & dumped a bunch of units into a fort & that has held. The English front is under intense pressure -- mainly from the Vikings! They have over a dozen ships able to strike Oxford and there seems to always be plane(s) attacking. (Just for yuks, check the casulty stats compared to five & ten years ago.)

I decided to eliminate the northern Roman front but wanted to maintain as many large Roman markets as possible -- that too has met with mixed success.

I ended up airlifting some vet jeeps into the theatres at risk and that has helped.

Also one final caution -- the space race could start at almost any time.

1914 (0) -- We're at war with everyone; all are fundy except for the Aztecs (Republic) and us. We have a tech edge of about 9-15 techs. Five Barracks, a dozen airports and too few vet units. Goals for he next few years will be to deliver goods for science and profit and stabilize borders. <enter>

(And watch as a lot of our stuff gets chewed up. Argh! lots of bad things happen to otherwise good units -- details spared.)

1915 (1) -- Discover CA, Opt for Plas over Env. Make lots of Barracks, Deliver seven trucks, best is demanded gems from Pers to Ormuz = 720. Demanded Gems from Jinjan to Nish = 364, the rest range from 94 to 299 in payoffs.

1916 (2) -- (Mongols buy Cannae and Izumi! They take Robotics and Medicine -- we opt not to pay 1000 for a CF. They also empty out many of our southern coastal cities ( and we choose to leave them empty for the next few years.) We take Birmingham (solidifying that theatre of operations, +53.) Five deliveries ranging from 220 (undemanded goods to Ormuz) to 348 (demanded Silk from Herat to Teo.)

1917 (3) -- (Romans build Apollo in Cumae -- and claim that they are nearly finished with Manhattan there as well. Vikes take Nott (and Robotics) We stay at war with them & save 400.) Sabotage Manhattan, but lose the spy. Buy Caesarea for 896 ( and get a couple of planes, so maybe it was worth it) Only one delivery -- Uranium from Sam to Ormuz for 880. Retake Nott.

1918 (4) -- (Watch as our vet jeep holds out vs, two tanks; watch as another vet jeep causes the sinking of an Aegis + another boat.) Buy Nico, thus closing off a front (but it wasn't that active, so no big deal.) Four deliveries, ranging from 184 to 392.

1919 (5) -- (Romans buy Pompeii! (What? Argh -- and we had some decent defense for once!) They take Plastics & quickly trade that to the Vikes. We accept a CF with the Romans and right away a spy appears outside Neapolis (but we foil that attempt at skullduggery!) Vikes take Nott again -- (bombing can help do that -- also the road connection to Oxford is gone.)) We buy Pompeii back for 1.1K and get 200+ in change -- decide to set some forward units in that direction. Also decide to take Pisae (+264) in reprisal & clean up the near half of the lingering partisans (but have some howies out flapping. A quick lookthrough shows the SW Roman cities had a CM each and 4, 7, 6 defenders of Rifle/Alpine calibre.) Cumae is halfway done with Manhattan again, so we'll need to do something about that very soon. Re-Retake Nott (+132) but don't have enough units in the English theatre to keep sufficient defense (nor have we decided to invest too much in infrastructure save for some barracks and a second airpot in Hastings.)

Five trucks = 472 for the Pasar-Cumae demanded oil; rest range from 194 to 290.

Notes -- aside from an Engineer south of York (who decided to die) nothing from that front; a little Engish pressure in the south, but the Vikes are doing 90-95% of the pounding there. The Southern English front needs more attention than I've been giving it (I focused on markets and protecting access to those markets.) we may want to rush a few more jeeps into that theatre, add a couple of spies and take out Coventry and Leeds -- my recommendation would be to save up and raze Leeds with aircraft. Speaking of aircraft, I recommend getting Stealth ASAP.

The Aztecs have shown a unit or two and the howies+ in Zohak are up to the job -- although I just noticed no defense (hence the jeep to be built.) Mongol front need some fighters (not bombers, because anything left outside is at risk.) and a couple of spies (and a couple of more jeeps -- last turn I pulled out two to send to England); otherwise it looks stable.

We're short on engineers -- part of the reason I bought the two north Roman cities was to allow some engineers to appear there (to clean up pollution today & do good things tomorrow.) Also see Uranium appearing from time to time -- so trucks are rushed accordingly (twice it has vanished -- so we have an extra food truck -- rats.)

We're about halfway through Env, leaving only Fusion and Stealth before Future tech. The Romans cities (especially Cumae) and a couple of Mongol locations (especially Ormuz) generate the best payoffs -- nondemanded salt & hides can collect a couple hundred. The transport semi chain of Osaka via island to Sidon gives us the Mongol markets -- and very good payoffs -- highly recommended. My last airlift to Jerusalem came with no warning message, so we should push that as well.

Well, the comp is getting tough now, though I think the biggest treat is actualy the space race. We were lucky enough to start in a semi remote place, so as long as we keep an eye on the aztecs we don't have much to worry about in our homeland. Do we have SDI in many places yet? If not, then I will probably worry about that. Nukes could be a blessing, if we can foarge (temporary) peace. The comp actualy respects nukeholding players. Ironicaly, the only safe place from a nuke is two sqares out from an SDI city. Then the nukes cannot hit you and the spies cannot hit you.

The only real threat with the space race will be the Vikings -- everyone else is either close enough to deal with or too small to get a big project underway. The Vikes have some potential AND are a hostile sea away.

As for nukes, I'd prefer to postpone that until the last minute -- we have some difficulty getting engineers (or rather recovering city size after we rush them) and keeping them alive (partisans love to eat these guys.)

Also by switching 'back and forth' between a wonder & spaceship stuff, we can get full value for the food trucks already saved and those yet to be built. Manhattan is the last wonder available so I think we should keep this Pandora in her box until we actively build spaceship materials.

We were going to do conquest, but superconductor is becoming comon knowlage, we lost cities to the mongols and romans. I have only played one and a half turns so far though.

And? ;) (tried posting a quick reply and was rewared with the message that my note needed at least ten characters...perhaps this is a spam deterence?)

About 3 turns finished (busy week [end of school year] so I had trouble finding time enough to play.) A tank has died from a sth. Fighter, but which was ours? So far, only the Mongols have built ss parts, and only 4 structural. I sabatojed MProgect in the Roman capitol, but won't say any more.

An interesting development: Periodicaly I noticed that our cities were suporting forein troops, on turn 0 I noticed that a mongol Alpine Troop was suported by Nicomedia and that in 1922 S. pasa was suporting a host of Viking troops (have a save of it). Naturaly I disbanded all the units, but it was strange...

0:Rush several Items.

1:Mongols capture Kagoshima (-23, superconductor, +4 partisans), Romans bribe Pompeii (-49, superconductor), Az get fundy, Disorder and loose pop in Canturbury, Cese fire with Romans (big mistake), liberate kagoshima (+49), Freight (total):1092, bribe 3 partisants.

2:Mongols get Combined arms, Romans brake cese fire, poison Brundsisum (no problem, as it couldn't feed itself anyway), Enviromentalism go stelth, loose pop in:Liverpool, Brundisium & Canterbury, liberate Pompeii (151), freight: 3054.

3:Eng get the Laser, Az to commie, South Tarsus Aquaduct, Gordium Superhighways, Tarsus SDI (rush Manufactureplant), Rome SDI, Stelth to Fusion, freight:1227, liberate Coventry (198).

4:Eng get plastics, Vikes get combined arms & bribe Coventry (-30, superconductor), Az get rocketry, Tarsus Manufacture Plant (now creating sth fighter every turn), liberate Coventry (+99), Liberate Isumi (expected to raze it, but didn't, see note), we use the first stelth fighter in combat and kill an armor with little damage to the fighter, Freight:2288, rush numourus items, sabatoge the nearly compleeted Manhaten Project (was in capitol and took two spies, who were both caputred).

5:Romans abandon Manhaten, Vikes paradrop into Nottingham (took stelth), then land many fighters in it, Fusion to futur tech, Liberate Nottingham (83) (took many fighters to do so), conduct major raid on Cumae.

Notes: There should be enough available troops in Rome to take Cumae if the next player chooses to do so (none of the remaining units are vetran, because a rifle defended first). There is also Izumi, it is set to disband but the uranium it was suporting had an accident and fell of the track, so it is for the next player to decide if they want to risk a teck being stolen for a uranium truck. Halfway through I started rehoming freight to Tarsus for decent payoffs, and all have gone to Ormuz (sise 28) because fo the superhighways and river. Units can travel from Japan to Persia and back because of the two boats, but only if they cross the larger city on the Island in between.
Space ship: Mongols, four structural.

We are fighting everywhere, but our sources are a bit limited. At first I wanted to have peace with everybody but Mongol and Vikings (most advanced), so I conquered London with UN. I conquered enemy city and than make peace. This strategy worked at about fifty percent – in fifty percent they broken the peace. I did only one hit to our reputation – attack Mongols in 1929. All Mongols cities were conquered the same way – spy has destroyed SAM and Stealth fighters did the rest. Totally I have conquered 28 cities, lost one. Here is the game year by year:

1924 – finished turn
- bribe Canae 430g, 56g back
- Freight 20g
- Vikings captured Oxford, 36g, Miniaturization

- Conquered London (two SF), 364 g
- Cunnae 416g, Romans capital move to Viroconium
- Antium 211g, peace
- Oxford 104g
- Cunaxa 46g, peace
- Freights 81,1728,1728,120
- Bribed Tlaxcala 2343g, 273 back
- Changed Science to 0

- Romans attack
- Aztecs steal plastics, declare war
- Silenia destroyed
- Freights 1352,580
- Khanbalyl 117g
- Leeds 20g, OH AEGIS cruiser in city, lost SF.
- Calixtlahuaca 144g
- Exeter 450g
- Our SF sunk Vikings transport near Exeter, 9 units lost.

- English and Aztecs broken ceasefire.
- York nearly finished Manhattan
- Bribed York 1740g, 368 back
- Critical situation on Aztecs, no troops available – so I bribed Tlacopan 795g, 131 back. Peace with Aztecs. I hope for some years.
- Veji 226g
- Capua 51g
- Cremona 60g
- Make peace with Mongols, demanded to withdraw troops. YES. It is so nice to have all island without Mongols troops.
- Freights 176,179,229,1728,120
- Rushing SFs in England - I want to attack Vikings soon.

– England Attack
- Mongols develop Stealth.
- Aztecs conquered Calixtlahuaca, took Nuclear Fission, 116g
- Aztecs, Vikings, Mongols start Manhattan project.
- FUTURE TECHNOLOGY
- Calixtlahuaca 39g
- Richmond bribed 219g, 125 back
- Palmyra 120g
- Nishapur 209g
- Allepo 200g

- English, Mongols, Romans attack
- Freights 1632,1632,91g
- First offensive against Vikings – Hooray
- Destroyed troops in The Udal, than bribed city (some interesting troops around) – 1370g, 210 back.
- Birka 162g
- Lindholm 175g
- Bribe Kazan 2600g , 176 back
- Ozmur 280g
- Tarentum bribed 576g, 176 back

I have rest some spy and units . movement for you, city improvements too. Be careful of Mongol’s SAM and Viking’s AEGIS – they are everywhere. Next turn you can destroyed English.

I am afraid Nuke war is inevitable – sorry. Good luck.

Top Bottom