Rule Proposal for turn progression.

Provolution

Sage of Quatronia
6.5 Turn Reporting

Every time a team completes a turn, the team should notify that the save has been sent to the next team in line in the "Turn Tracker". This rule should be considered as important as the 24 hour rule, in order to sustain same rule.

Provo, can you explain why you think the bureaucratic element should be considered as important as the "play quickly" rule? (Please try to be short in your answer... :p )

There is a big difference in "not being able to play because the save was not send in time" and "Not being able to play because the previous team hasn't updated the turntracker yet". Yes, it can be annoying if you have the save and don't know it; but that's no reason to make posting in the turntracker as important as actually playing it.

The only importance the turntracker has (besides being informative on "where is the save") that I see is that the receiving team know -without checking their email- that they have the save. I, as outsider, think we can be lenient with your proposed rule. It's not that life-threatening if a turn-tracker update is not done the same second the save is send out. Of course it would be preferable; but a failure in this once in a while should be acceptable. We're humans...

I'm sure this is because of me. :D As Rik has said, I am only human. Enough said. The play got played twice after I forgot to post in that thread. So far there has been no problem WRT the playing of the save once that has happened, so it seems that this rule you propose is not neccessary.

I don't see the need... Because everyone DP will have a few times that he/she misses posting and then gets warned or worse....

Yes, this was done in order to balance out the 24 hour fascism.
It is equally important to post in the turn tracker.

The reason it is important, is for CoC reasons, so the rest of the team know the game is played and sent, so there is no need to play it. I hope people understand this more than they condemn me for "bureaucracy". It has to be this way.

Provolution said:
The reason it is important, is for CoC reasons, so the rest of the team know the game is played and sent, so there is no need to play it. I hope people understand this more than they condemn me for "bureaucracy". It has to be this way.

There are two reasons the tracker is needed, the "sent it" reason to one's own team that you mention and to prompt a team to look at their mail. Most of us are probably conditioned to check the mail automatically whether the tracker is posted or not. The "sent it" mechanism could be policed by the team(s) which need it, so it wouldn't need to be a rule.

The above comment is my opinion and doesn't necessarily reflect the team's view.

I think the turn tracker is essential in meting out evidence for emails sent and so on in order to prove officially a save was sent to the recipient at a given time. It is not too much to remember, to write one line. It should be a rule, as we are supposed to post there.

Regardless of what the opinion in this thread is, Provolution requested an amendment to the rules, and it will be voted on.

The amendment has been changed to include a time restriction!

Current rules:
6.0 - Turn Progression

6.1 - Time allowed for a turn

Every team has a maximum of 24 real world hours to play its move and to send the save. This does not mean, that every team must use all 24 hours.

6.2 - Extensions to time limits

6.2.1 - Limitations

In some cases a team is allowed to take more time for a move:
a. If the request is announced in time, which means before the requesting teams turn limit has expired, and if the game staff deem it reasonable.

or...
b. Technical problems, like a downed forum (verified by the game staff).

6.2.2 - Authority

The Game Staff will determine how much extra time is appropriate for the situation, if any.

6.3 - Sending the Save Game

Each team turnplayer is required to send the save to the citizens on his team via email, unless they do not want it. A thread entitled "Save Game Mailing List" will be put up in each forum. Each citizen who posts his/her email in that shall receive the save game upon its arrival in the mailbox of the team turnplayer.

A copy of sent save games will also be sent to the admins via email to the following addresses:
ale.of.ginger AT gmail DOT com (Ginger_Ale)
TitanicWhiz18 AT comcast DOT net (RegentMan)

6.4 - Passwords

Do not give out your passwords! The only time the password should be given out is via email along with the save game (to the citizens on the save game mailing list). The password for the save given out by the admins is confidential and random, and should stay that way.

Proposed amendment (changes are in bold italics):
6.0 - Turn Progression

6.1 - Time allowed for a turn

Every team has a maximum of 24 real world hours to play its move and to send the save. This does not mean, that every team must use all 24 hours.

6.2 - Extensions to time limits

6.2.1 - Limitations

In some cases a team is allowed to take more time for a move:
a. If the request is announced in time, which means before the requesting teams turn limit has expired, and if the game staff deem it reasonable.

or...
b. Technical problems, like a downed forum (verified by the game staff).

6.2.2 - Authority

The Game Staff will determine how much extra time is appropriate for the situation, if any.

6.3 - Sending the Save Game

6.3.1 - Mailing

Each team turnplayer is required to send the save to the citizens on his team via email, unless they do not want it. A thread entitled "Save Game Mailing List" will be put up in each forum. Each citizen who posts his/her email in that shall receive the save game upon its arrival in the mailbox of the team turnplayer.

A copy of sent save games will also be sent to the admins via email to the following addresses:
ale.of.ginger AT gmail DOT com (Ginger_Ale)
TitanicWhiz18 AT comcast DOT net (RegentMan)

6.3.2 - Notification of Playing
Immediately after the save has been played and e-mailed to the proper people, the team's designated player must notify the MTDG community by posting in the designated "Turn Tracker" thread.

6.4 - Passwords

Do not give out your passwords! The only time the password should be given out is via email along with the save game (to the citizens on the save game mailing list). The password for the save given out by the admins is confidential and random, and should stay that way.

UN reps - Please set up a poll in your team's private forum and report the results in this thread. Your team has 72 hours to discuss the amendment and vote.

These are the voting options:

Option 1 - Yes, my team approves this amendment.

Option 2 - No, my team does not approve of this amendment.

Abstain

Provolution said:
I think the turn tracker is essential in meting out evidence for emails sent and so on in order to prove officially a save was sent to the recipient at a given time. It is not too much to remember, to write one line. It should be a rule, as we are supposed to post there.
Don't misunderstand me; I do agree that posting on the turn-tracker should be done.

As I've pointed out that failure to play a save within 24 hours hinders the speed of the game, always.
Failure to post a message in the turn-tracker does not neccesarily. We've seen this happening in this game.

What I don't understand is why the "post in the turntracker" rule should get the same importance as "play within 24 hours" rule.

-------------------

After the save has been played and e-mailed to the proper people, the team's designated player must notify the MTDG community by posting in the designated "Turn Tracker" thread.
-> A team can never fail this. Theoretically a team can post a "Save send to TEAM-XXX" 7 years after it was done and thus not fail to follow the rules.

Perhaps I should just keep quiet and don't interfere with game mechanics

Rik Meleet said:
After the save has been played and e-mailed to the proper people, the team's designated player must notify the MTDG community by posting in the designated "Turn Tracker" thread.
-> A team can never fail this. Theoretically a team can post a "Save send to TEAM-XXX" 7 years after it was done and thus not fail to follow the rules.
Yes, that's true. However, it would violate the spirit of the rule. Everyone knows what the rule implies - post that you've played it when you've played it. I hope that no team would abuse this by posting seven years later.

proposed rule said:
I assume even if the team played the save, say within an hour, they still are allowed to post the "turntracker" within thier 24 hour time limit. Correct?

I'm inclined to say yes, but that might result in M.I.A posting they've played, then Doughnut, then K.I.S.S., then Doughnut, with TNT saying they've played the first turn...

Should I add in something about posting right after sending the save?

I guess so RegentMan.
Would it be possible to post penalty as well. It seems to me that some leniency should be allowed on this rule versus the actual play of the save but that's just my .02. I think that may determine how some vote on Team K.I.S.S.

Due to recent circumstances, the amendment now looks as this. I'm terrible sorry for any inconvience this causes. The 72 hour deadline will be determined from this post.

Immediately after the save has been played and e-mailed to the proper people, the team's designated player must notify the MTDG community by posting in the designated "Turn Tracker" thread.

Can I just say as an individual (as I am not the UN rep) and not representing MIA in anyway ... an individual who enjoys pbem games ... and have been frustrated by non-posting on some game's thread and the stalling and confusion this has led to ...

It is standard protocol in 'good' pbems to notify a save being sent in the game's thread ... in addition to informing all players the status of the save ... it also can alert a team that an e-mail has not arrived and consequently has to be resent ... these things do occasionally happen ...

Whomp said:
Would it be possible to post penalty as well. It seems to me that some leniency should be allowed on this rule versus the actual play of the save but that's just my .02. I think that may determine how some vote on Team K.I.S.S.
It will be decided the same way as the save: depends on the circumstances. If you forget to post once or twice, okay. But multiple times can result in skipping a turn.

Been there and done that Fe3333au and I am in full agreement that it should be posted.

What I am concerned about is the level of penalty. Nothing will create more animosity inside a team if one player forgets and the team loses a turn. I don't think that is in the spirit of this game either.

Just like a turn's instructions of "move the worker to tile X," it should be engraved in a DP's head to post that their team has played and sent the save. If a member can't remember to do that, then I suggest that person not play the save.

I know it might sound harsh, and I apologize if it does, as that is not my intention. If a member forgets once, it's okay. I'm sure that he/she won't forget again. I won't bust out the whip on poor Johnny if it's his first time playing.

Top Bottom