Rule with Faith

Rule with Faith

1. Bosworth II VII

Bosworth II VII Chieftain

"@Bosworth II VII Just as in description - you can use without Real Tech Tree, you will just have techs not connected to Future Tech, that's all.
    Crash is caused by RWF. This mod adds new tables that have references to game objects. But JFD didn't implement them properly, they're missing ON DELETE clause. So, when RES removes objects from eras beyound last, references to those objects stay in RWF new tables. Then the mod tries to use them and... CTD."

This I what I have been told is causing the mod

2. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

3. Chrisy15

Chrisy15 Flower, Beautiful

I think you're meant to stick Triggers on all tables to check for stuff being deleted, since apparently we're meant to tolerate people deleting things now...

[Edit] Also surely the author of Real Era Stop or w/e could also be contributing a fix towards this by also making delete checks for any RwF policy cards that would cause CTDs due to missing references...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  4. Bosworth II VII

I have no idea

5. ChimpanG

ChimpanG Chieftain

Surely if you're using another mod that deletes a bunch of stuff, then the origin of the issue is with that mod, not a mod that references something that would have otherwise been there in the first place. Because, you know, logic...

6. Bosworth II VII

You went to a lot of effort to make that sound patronising

7. ChimpanG

ChimpanG Chieftain

As opposed to making the minimal amount of effort to provide a solution to your own problem. The issue clearly doesn't rest with RwF and I'm not sure why you wouldn't trace the origin of the conflict before making claims that JFD didn't implement something properly in his own mod.

8. Gyromancer

Gyromancer Chieftain

Wow, the Snark-O-meter is reading off the scale here.

I don't know anything about modding, not sure if Bosworth does, but I would note that he did in fact make a minimal effort. He is passing along a direct statement from the author of the conflicting mod. (Which can be found in the specific thread for that mod, just a few lines down from this thread in the published mod forum.)

I believe that the author of the other mod implies that the vanilla game content does use "ON DELETE" checking. I have no clue if this is the case, but if so, I think it would be the standard for mod content and would be needed for the mod to be compatible with any mod based on deleting large swaths of content. Adding the check to every piece of added content seems like a fairly grungy and mostly thankless task, so I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone the right to say "Sorry, looks like the two mods are just not compatible" and move on.

Sorry if I got a bit snarky here. Got a little twitchy reading your 2 posts

<Snipped a bit to dial back my own snarky...>

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  9. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

It would have been helpful if Bosworth pointed out where he got this information from, or indeed formatted it correctly so as to show clearly that it was a direct quote from the mod author of RES. Otherwise, it appears to be an unsubstantiated claim of the kind that I get all the time that end up being of no fault on my end - especially so when I pressed him to elaborate and he replied "I have no idea." Pointing me to the thread, asking the mod author to elaborate themselves (as Infixo's explanation does little in the way of explaining how ON DELETE should be implemented) - these are things that would've be much more useful than "I have no idea."

I'm trying to manage a huge number of mods across V and VI, so I don't have the time to scout out detailed answers myself for things that don't affect me personally, such as compatibility or lack therefore with X mod. I'm willing to help those that encounter compatibility problems, sure, but only if they try to help me out by not making it needlessly burdensome to figure how to do so.

As to standards, well, Civ V has taught me through Whoward that deleting things should not be standard practice over merely disabling them, so I'm inclined to disgree that it is my obligation to support such practices. Though for the sake of compatibility, I will do so nonetheless.

10. ChimpanG

ChimpanG Chieftain

No offence taken at all, we all have our buttons. You make a good point though, I misunderstood and I owe an apology to Bosworth for shooting the messenger. I'll send him a message.

11. Gyromancer

Gyromancer Chieftain

Heh, I realize that my perception of the thread was colored by having read the other thread just prior to this one. Sorry, didn't mean to contribute to a "Trump party in Moscow" vibe....

12. Cagarustus

Cagarustus Prince

Great mod. Really adds an extra layer to the whole game.

I was wondering if you would be able to make this mod compatible with CQUI please?. When running both these mods, the government screen is out of whack.

Cheers.

13. Chrisy15

I believe there were instructions on how to overwrite CQUI's screen a couple of pages or so back

14. dudeSDCA

dudeSDCA Prince

Just started playing with this -- very nice!

Interesting bug. Playing latest JFD. I unlocked new policies and when in and changed governments, etc. But I am stuck with the "fill policy slot' in the bottom right. When I hover, it says there's an outdated policy slot that needs to be replaced. But I already replaced them.
    Only solution was to load from autosave and not go into the civic screen until I was prompted.

EDIT: The bug happens when I change government to classical democracy. Even after filling the policies, it keeps prompting me to fill the policies.
    UPDATE: Looks like it's an issue with NQ EUI mod which modifies GovernmentScreen. Filing bug there...
    UPDATE: Disabling NQ EUI and I still get the error specifically when switching to Classical Democracy. Even though there are check marks next to each of the 4 areas (military->wildcard) with all slots filled, it's not seeming to update. Will keep playing with this.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  15. Chrisy15

Are you also filling the modded slots too? Iirc Classical Democracy should at least get a Cultural card...

(You can find the modded slots by scrolling down)

16. dudeSDCA

dudeSDCA Prince

Thanks - exactly right!

Basically, NQ EUI isn't compatible -- it overrides the government screen so you can't see any of the new slots. I was able to get CQUI working by deleting the government screens from that mod, but for some reason, doing the same didn't work for NQ EUI & NQ Balance (probably it has conflicting policy changes too)

17. NN23

NN23 Warlord

is this mod compatible with CQUI? since both mods make changes to the government screen.

18. Chrisy15

You'll have to remove CQUI's GovernmentOverview files, but otherwise yea.

19. Cagarustus

Cagarustus Prince

The issue with this is that each time the Mod is updated on Steam, one has to continually remove the files which may upset saved games. Hopefully, the makers of this mod can make it permanently compatible. When I use the Logos Mod, which adds new Governments, with CQUI there has never been an issue, so maybe the developers can use that Mod's code as base for this one. It would be greatly appreciated.

20. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

That mod does not replace the GovernmentsScreen, only adding new Governments. There is not much I can do until Firaxis patches the issue that References do not affect load order, which is what would be required to ensure compatibility.