Ruler of the Seas - the Saga of Harald Bluetooth

With the release of the Danes I thought it might be fun to try pitting the naval civs against each other. I will be playing as Denmark, the others shall be England, Polynesia, the Songhai and the Ottomans (I'm using a loose definition of 'naval' here), plus a wildcard. The full details are below.
Spoiler game details :

The world was young when Harald, blessed of Woden, found a new land. Between flowing water and waving cotton the proud Danes raise for him a great hall.
Spoiler :

The spawn point appears a reasonable location to settle the capital. River, cows, sheep, two luxuries and some hills, seems pretty good.

Spoiler :

As we're on an archipelago map I intend to push for the Great Lighthouse to counter the English UA. I feel reasonably secure in delaying expansion and military build-up due to the water.

The mighty Danish warriors explore the lands. Woden sends them fortune and reveals the area to them. A foreign city is revealed to them.

Spoiler :

Our warriors are sent off to explore the island. They discover a map in some ancient ruins and some barbarians. The map also reveals the location of Honolulu. We also finish researching sailing and start on mining. The policies of tradition and aristocracy are adopted.

One who travels far comes to Harald's mead hall. O great chieftain, he proclaims, truly thou art the richest of men. A celebration is ordered to honour the wanderer. Mead flows and the men revel. A Great Lighthouse is ordered to guide other wanderers safely to the hall.

Spoiler :

Well this is a first, I don't think I've ever topped the rich list this early in the game before, did the last patch stop giving all AI the chieftain bonuses? Construction starts on the Great Lighthouse and a hill tile is purchased for the extra production.

More uncivilised warriors are discovered by Harald's loyal men. Deep in the ruins of an ancient civilization another gift of Woden is discovered, the secrets of the runes for which he gave his eye.

Spoiler :

We discover another barbarian camp to the north, again we withdraw until we have sufficient forces to deal with them. In the ruins however we find writing. Quite a handy ruin to pop.

I'm going to point out now that I'm only able to play a few hours a week and preparing this story will generally have to be done in that time, so don't expect regular updates.

I'm going to point out now that I'm only able to play a few hours a week and preparing this story will generally have to be done in that time, so don't expect regular updates.

I can only hit the forums once every other week or so. Up date when you can looking forward to the story.

Subscribed.

The tales dead.

The tales dead.

And lo, a stranger comes to the hall of Harald. Your tongue is silent, spake he, your great deeds are done. No more shall men tell your tales.

With that Harald's wrath is aroused, the stranger is cast out into the night with only a knife to fend off the wild beasts surrounding Copenhagen.
Find me a skald, Harald bellows, so the tale of my deeds shall never be forgot.

In other words, no it's not.

From the west come wild men bent on destruction. Harald's warriors and the people of the city fight valiantly to overcome them, spilling more red-water on the cotton fields. As the last became food for the cousins of Hugin and Muninn another group appear on the western horizon.

Spoiler :

Well, it appears the western barb camp is going to cause some problems. I'd better do something about that.

As the wild men enter the dye fields the arrows of Copenhagen fall upon them like hail. His wrath inflamed, Harald proclaims that the honour of his warriors will be the undoing of the wild men. His warriors, heartened by his words, pursue the wild men and slay them among the cattle herds, leaving the bodies with the beasts that are their closest kin.

Spoiler :

That's the incursion dealt with, now for the source.

With the invaders now a ravens feast Harald resolves to burn out the source. A call to arms is put out and the people answer. Westward they march to the wild-home, perched on a high hill and surrounded by deep forest the wild-men think themselves secure. But though the fight will be hard the Danish spirits are lifted by the knowledge that if they fall they will die with honour and spend eternity in Valhalla to drink and feast and prepare for the end of days.

And hard the fight is. Many join Odin in the first days but their deaths are swiftly avenged. The survivors retreat to a hill to await new blood from the city.

Spoiler :

Ouch, those barbarians hit harder than I expected. Fortunately they didn't quite kill off the warriors so they can heal and continue the fight.

Another wanderer comes to the Hall of Copenhagen. My lord, he proclaimed, long have I travelled and none of the people with whom I have broken bread have been a industrious as yours. The wayfarer is honoured with a great feast.

Spoiler :

Top of the first two lists, am I still playing Civ V?

A ship of the wild-men is sighted near the city. The people rain arrows on it like hail, driving it off. In honour of the great victoy Harald orders the Great Lighthouse lit.

Spoiler :

Barbarian galley, Great Lighthouse complete. Boring. Back to the killing :viking:.

Although the ship of the wild-men harrases them the great Danish warriors prepare themselves to destroy the camp. Though the fighting is fierce the camp is destroyed and were-gild taken from it for the lives lost. With the last group of wild-men slain the warriors return home in glory.

Spoiler :

Clearing that camp was considerably harder work than expected and required some fancy footwork from the warriors. However it's now done and with the honour policy I'll know straight away if it pops back up.

Top Bottom