Rules.txt Tech paradigm

Licentia

Prince
I have changed the tech paradigm anywhere from 20 to 1000 but it doesn't change in game. I save the rules.txt file and here is what my tech paradigm says:

1000 ; Tech paradigm (higher # slows research)

Yet no matter what it says I always have the same requirements (11 turns or so) for my first technology to be learned.

I play on King difficulty. Is that a problem? What should I play for difficulty?

I want both my civ and the AI civs to have a much harder time obtaining technology.

Why isn't it working?

This is Civilization 2 with the 2.42 patch (I think that's the correct number)

what am I doing wrong? I don't want to change anything but the length of time it takes to learn new sciences. And maybe completely disable scientific research all together.

Thanks.

I assume you're working on a scenario, right? Unless this focuses only on a single battle, don't disable research. Make a new tech tree, it makes a huge difference.
There is a limit to the tech paradigm (I don't recall what it is, though). Try setting it at a lower number, or read one of the scenario making guides, one of them will probably have the limit.
BTW, if you are making a scenario, always edit it at Deity. This way, you can see which cities are in civil disorder at this level.

I recall a similar experience, but got it to work by fiddling around with various factors. Among other things, tech research speed depends on economy and amount of techs already researched. As well as adjusting tech paradigm, you can adjust trade from terrain and bonus squares (to limit economies) and give civs a number of techs to start with.

Top Bottom