Rumor: Assad shot by bodyguard?

According to reports in the Arab press (and then republished in the Israeli press ), information that journalists say they have “verified” the Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad was killed this morning by one of his bodyguards. An important safety device has been set up at the hospital in Damascus.

http://patdollard.com/2013/03/rumor-wildfire-syrias-assad-killed-by-bodyguard/

i just love your bloggers take on this,(his rumour)

If this information had to be officially confirmed, it would be a victory for the Islamists who are fighting for the seizure of power in Syria

It might be a good thing for Assad to die or be seriously wounded. Maybe his successor will be more conciliatory. Maybe the rebel forces will be more inclined to compromise with someone who doesn't have "Assad" in their name.

There's not really much else to say given how little information there is on the topic. The whole thing could be a hoax for all we know.

Well in my opinion Assad is still better than anyone from the opposition.

The best source I can find for this is the NY Daily News...

Not seeing any big news sources pick up on this.

Methinks this didn't happen.

Well in my opinion Assad is still better than anyone from the opposition.
Do you know more about the opposition than anyone else outside of Syria?

I asked my Syrian neighbour about it...
who even at the best of times, we tend to talk at cross purposes, his response,
something about blinking Muslims and he has been playing middle eastern music very loud since morning tea...

so 2 things... I think he is Christian, and I hope it is true or he will think I am some sort of racist hoodlum prankster and he will not give me gifts of fruit when I stop to say hello by his fence

I asked my Syrian neighbour about it...
who even at the best of times, we tend to talk at cross purposes, his response,
something about blinking Muslims and he has been playing middle eastern music very loud since morning tea...

so 2 things... I think he is Christian, and I hope it is true or he will think I am some sort of racist hoodlum prankster and he will not give me gifts of fruit when I stop to say hello by his fence

I don't think that the christians from Syria are in any way keen on those groups with islamic fanatics capturing power in the country. Sectarian war is not looking good for them.

According to reports in the Arab press (and then republished in the Israeli press ), information that journalists say they have “verified” the Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad was killed this morning by one of his bodyguards. An important safety device has been set up at the hospital in Damascus.
How is the president of a country with a semblance of a democratic government a "dictator"?

How exactly would you define the difference between say a "dictator" and an "authoritarian ruler/autocrat"? Is it just the disparity in the amount of control one of them has?

People often just use the term to refer to any authoritarian leader. It's not really accurate though.
You mean like how Reagan, Bush, and Thatcher were dictators? How even Obama is now a dictator compared to his positions in 2008?

Checked my usual sources this morning and still nothing yet.

I read something about a syrian rebel leader called al-assad getting seriously injured in a bombing. Close enough?

From Guardian

In the north of the country, meanwhile, a bomb attack seriously badly wounded the former public face of the armed opposition, Colonel Riad al-Assad, whose car was hit in the city of Deir Ezzor. Activists blamed regime forces for the attack on the colonel, who is being treated in Turkey.

FSA-aligned groups fighting in the eastern cities of Raqaa and Deir Ezzor say they have few of the heavy weapons being used by jihadist groups, such as Jabhat al-Nusra.

Units from the FSA fought a three-day battle with al-Nusra fighters in Deir Ezzor earlier this month before agreeing a truce. Col Assad's car is believed to have been hit as it moved through Deir Ezzor by either a roadside bomb or a rocket-propelled grenade.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/25/syria-qatari-influence-rebels-arab-league

How exactly would you define the difference between say a "dictator" and an "authoritarian ruler/autocrat"? Is it just the disparity in the amount of control one of them has?

it normally has to do with the use of the army to maintain order, and with artillery being used on local houses becomes quite obvious...

Top Bottom