Rumors still a part of the game?

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - General Discussions' started by eatcarrotsnow, Aug 3, 2008.

1. eatcarrotsnow

eatcarrotsnow Chieftain

I haven't seen anything on this yet. Anyone know if it is still a part of the gameplay, along with Fountain of Youth and the Seven Cities of Gold?

2. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

Haven't heard anything either but I sure hope so.

3. De Lorimier

De Lorimier North American Scum

Your Scout vanished without a trace.

4. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

NOOOOOooooooo!!!! AAARRRGGHHHHH!!!!!! %#$@#$$&%&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Greybriar

Greybriar Prince

Oh! I hated it when that happened! :mad:

I hope they retain them though. They added a nice touch to the original game.

6. morchuflex

morchuflex Emperor

I always had mixed feelings towards rumors. They did spice up the game, but good results were often too powerful. Finding a FOY or several treasures early in the game would make it impossible to lose.
    It would be nice if finding FOYs or treasures was the result of some kind of quest, such as assembling the parts of a map (as in Pirates!), or gathering information, rather than a one-time, pure luck event.

7. Kathandrion

Kathandrion Chieftain

But if there's no "Lost City Rumors" (I'll grudgingly take that spelling, I know the designers are American) then there's no Fountain of Youth, then there's no brilliant Fountain of Youth jingle! That always made my day!

8. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

I hope they keep em in, but I agree with morchuflex. They should make them the result of a quest or mission.

9. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

Agreed.

I remember a game where I found two treasures, each worth a bit over 3k gold... I bought a privateer and landed it next to my European neighbors. A few turns later I thrashed them because I also had the money to pick up a few colonists and arm them. I also squeezed in an artillery with money from my new world cargo.

I repeated this once more and then only the Spaniards remained. I let them live because they were on several islands already. I was doing great that game with no competition in the north, all because of two lucky hits.

10. Kathandrion

Kathandrion Chieftain

I think they will still be part of the game, because they work like the goody huts in Civ and the supply pods in Alpha Centauri - can you imagine one of these games without those?

It's true that the effects can be a little overpowering, but these are rare items found once or twice in a game if at all (though I once got three Fountains of Youth - yippee!) which adds to their fun.

11. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

Having quests is something I like in Civ4 (although they are too random for my liking). I can't recall them from Colonization sadly but I can see how it would "spice up" the game.

12. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

I agree with Kathandrion: rumours are a must. They're the goody huts of Colonization!

13. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

There has to be Roumourourours whichever way you spell it.

that "vanished without a trace" thing brought back rose-tinted memories for me too, if Firaxis have spring-cleaned rumors that'll be wondrous on top of everything else.

No sleep til Xmas.................

14. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

I agree. Let's not be too puritanical. If someone is unhappy about finding two treasures and a fountain of youth early in the game, he can always abandon the game and start a new one. One where the French live next door and just got a free Jesuit from back home, for example...

15. Bad Brett

Bad Brett King

If you play the game correctly, you should get 2-3 new colonists every turn after a while. An early Fountain of Youth certainly help, but it's not THAT great. An early silver deposit makes it possible to buy about the same amount of immigrants for every 100 tons of silver.

16. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

And you get to choose the quality of immigrant. That's one of the reasons why playing as the Dutch is awesome. All the Spaniards get is convicts and Indian converts from cities with a missionary they have razed, plus the random skilled colonist.

Incidentally, one special ability the Jesuit missionary has is that he, unlike other missionaries, survives if you destroy the town where he is located. When the natives burn down the mission because you are destroying the city, he walks out and can be used again. That doesn't happen to other missionaries even when you have acquired Jean de Brebouef, who in other respects makes all missionaires function as experts.