Runtime Errors on Loading Modded Saves (Solution)

Huck Finn

Warlord
This might work for anyone having the infamous runtime error/ c ++ problem/ dx 11 issue when trying to load saved games.

This applies to anyone using saves with mods activated.

Okay, after messing around with this game for hours I finally figured out why its crashing on loading save games for me. (DX 11 runtime errors)

Now, for whatever reason (I think because of the latest patch), after you verify the integrity of the game cache in steam, the game doesn't fully load until you try running it once. You basically have to fire it up once as vanilla to get the thing fully installed, then you run it once more to activate the mods.

So, if you are reinstalling a mod, and you are having save game problems, do this.

1. Go to my documents/my games/sid meiers civ 5. Delete the old versions of the mod in the mod folder, delete cache folder entirely, delete whats inside the mod user data folder.

2. Verify integrity of game cache in Steam.

3. Start the game up once as vanilla, no mods loaded, quit.

4. Start game again, activate mods, you're good to go.

This took me forever to puzzle out but its working now. Hopefully this helps someone out.

This has been happening to me on an autosave. A normal save a few turns earlier loads fine. Other saves load fine.

I am running Windows 7, Radeon 5870 Mobile, and have Babylon and Korea/Ancient Wonders DLC. Elsewhere on this forum, I learned about runtime errors when Vista mode is selected, and I will look into this later, but I have a feeling that is not the problem.

Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated.

I tried this and it did not work. When you say "start the game" as vanilla, do you mean load the saved game itself or just start the civ program? You can not lad a saved game with mods as vanilla (at least I can not figure out how). I took all your steps and still got the error. Does it work every time for you?

Top Bottom