Rush Limbaugh Dies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by onejayhawk, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Hey the wicked witch resents the comparison.

Hygro likes this.
  2. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy CheeseBob

I must be in a part of the US that isn't that 'empty' (rural, SW Wisconsin), considering 30% of AM radio is not Limbaugh-ish type shows.
    Daytime vs. Night time, hugely different, last time I checked the radio channels frequently (a couple years ago).

Daytime:
    AM dial:
    1 or 2 channels with Limbaugh or similar, 1 Sports (Wisconsin/Local/CBS sports), 1 or 2 channels of NPR, the rest music (mostly country).
    FM dial:
    Seriously, 5 or 6 channels of NPR, 2 sports (ESPN), the rest (20 or so) music of various types.

Nighttime:
    AM dial:
    30% might be close to the number that has some preacher reading the bible......god, I hate the AM dial if not for sports (I actually get Chicago Sports despite being 4 hours away from Chicago, must have a tower somewhere around here...hate Chicago but better than nothing-comes in great at night, sucks during day), don't get the CBS sports at night and wisconsin sports radio is non-existant anyways at night if there isn't a game in progress). And of course QAnon's favorite broadcast after Alex Jones, which is Coast to Coast (better than bible reading, but holy crap can people be so stupid).
    FM dial:
    2 sports (ESPN), BBC World News (more than 1, some of the NPR stations during the day play BBC at night), the rest is music.

Birdjaguar and Samson like this.
  3. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Limbaugh did the funniest impression of a rightwing blowhard that I ever heard. Way over the top. Surely none of the rubes believed his act was real.

4. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

Good grief.

5. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

And liberals look at the society where millions choose the ranting guy and make hats saying it is "Already Great"

Estebonrober and Samson like this.
  6. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I'm not particularly familiar with Rush. One of my coworkers at Habitat used to play it a lot when we were working without many volunteers, but eventually stopped after another members of the core crew (a very partisan Democrat) complained. I mostly just tuned him our and tries to focus on my podcasts instead.

The last time I remember hearing him was during the 2016 election, after some of the content of Hillary Clinton's emails leaked. He spent the whole show talking about we finally have smoking gun proof of what Hillary has always thought about the American people, based on one line in one email where she admitted that she "hates 'everyday Americans.'" For about two and a half hours dittoheads called in to reinforce all of his worst interpretations before one caller suggested that there could be a more charitable alternative explanation. This was an email to Clinton's speechwriter discussing how her stump speech he had provided her could be improved. "Everyday Americans" was in quotes in the email, so maybe, just maybe, she could have been taking issue with that particular cliche phrase and suggesting that the writer find some better terminology. This one caller thought that seemed more plausible than her just venting to a random person and confessing that she thinks most Americans are beneath contempt. Limbaugh eventually admitted that this was a possible interpretation of what email said, but insisted that is was more probable that she really meant that she hates most Americans even if that was just some sort of Freudian slip.

No one with even mediocre reading comprehension skills could have possible filled so much airtime with such nonsense.

stfoskey12 and El_Machinae like this.
  7. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Unless they were malovelent and intentionally dishonest, I guess

stfoskey12 and El_Machinae like this.
  8. Samson

Samson Deity

Did Rush come before Fox News fantastical partisanship? Did he invent that as well?

Birdjaguar likes this.
  9. HEF

HEF Prince

This overweight slug was generating 30 million usd per year for essentially producing nothing on-the-air but hate & discontent; to my knowledge, he never produced any children; he couldn't settle with one significant other or anything. He was clearly a benign, unhappy person and people of same ilk gathered around him like paparazzi;

*ugh* This is my last post regarding this monster.

His end was just as fitting for someone who was just as physically unfit.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  10. amadeus

amadeus Living in my own private I-dunno

Rush entered national syndication in the late 1980's, but came to prominence during the 1992 election and first Clinton administration.

Fox News started in 1996 and was first only available in a few media markets and then became the cable news ratings leader around 2000.

11. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I'm not sure there is a less apt descriptor.

12. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy CheeseBob

My dad was a big time listener of Limbaugh, and there was one thing my dad told me before the election that just didn't make any sense.
    One or more of the following happened:
    A: My dad misunderstood what Limbaugh said.
    B: Limbaugh deceived his listeners by counting listeners multiple times and/or counted listeners to other shows on the same network as 'one of his' listeners.
    C. Limbaugh just made stuff up.

Claim: While Limbaugh may have only 2-3 million listeners at any given time (based on Nielson radio ratings, which only does each program individually, each time slot individually, so Tuesday 9AM time slot has no bearing on Wednesday at noon for example). Some of the weeks before the election, the WEEKLY ratings were up to 60 million listeners!

Me: "60 million people listen to talk RADIO?"
    Dad: "Yes, it's true!"

My research: Can't find anything to confirm or deny the claim (or even that the claim was ever said). Best I can guess is Limbaugh used his 'Excellence in Broadcasting' ratings, which I gather is ratings he just makes up himself.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  13. HEF

HEF Prince

How about "...he was truly a malignant tumor on 2 legs..."?

Yes?

14. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

The founder of modern talk radio and its most dominating political presence. This was/is/will continue to be the very agitator of our death spiral as a nation.

15. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

@Bamspeedy I have heard the same story about inflated listener counts. The exact numbers probably don't matter too much since without doubt he had the largest audience.

16. amadeus

amadeus Living in my own private I-dunno

It was estimated that Limbaugh had about 15 million unique listeners as a general total audience. That wouldn’t have been measured in his ratings because not all of them listened at the same time or frequency.

17. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

The host that save radio show in the age of TV and Internet.

RIP, hatemonger yet business genius.

18. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Fascist.

19. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Grim Reaper can't read.

20. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Limbaugh was not just a traitor against the United States, he was a traitor against the human species itself. He's in hell now, where he always worked towards being. With the lord and master he chose to serve.

linaker, Cloud_Strife and HEF like this.