Russia+horses+stable

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by svett89, Jun 16, 2011.

1. svett89

svett89 Chieftain

Hello,

I just wonder what people's opinion on playing Russia on higher difficulties (emperor-diety) is. I took quite a long break from Civ 5 but decided to play a game on emperor the other day. Picked a random leader, got Catherine, and holy is the production bonus from having several horses close to the capital massive. I had 2 horses on plains next to a river in my capital and just blew through the classical era when it came to production. With stables, each horse tile gave me 5 production and coupled with me throwing down a GE from SP's I often ended up having no buildings available as my production pace was higher than my research, essentially allowing me to have a super-strong capital and quite a large army by the time I reached Steel. I had 8 Swordsmen ready to be upgraded when I hit Steel, and I had quite a large gold reserve after selling off all my excess horses and iron. I won the game through domination just after hitting Rifling.

I'm just curious on what people think about playing Russia for higher difficulty levels. The extra production coupled with the ability to sell a huge amount of strategic resources early-game makes them an excellent choice in my opinion. Am I being stupid or not?

2. GenjiKhan

GenjiKhan Emperor

Of course not. Russia ua seems very understimated here and you found out that they are excellent for domination/scientific victory(specially because ai is too stupid pay for your iron/horse).

3. Deau

Deau Emperor

The UA is interesting and the UB coupled with tradition reduces the borders growth to ******** low amount allowing you to quickly work all of those luxuries/resources. What I dislike though is it relies on a lucky start...that can only be confirmed after teching AH and/or IW so you could as well have a nice start and then learn on like turn 50 that you won't put any use of your UA and might as well restart a new map if your goal really was to use the tweaks the civ has to offer.

For a similar heavy production based approach, I prefer going with Iawatha. You lose the extra strategic resource to sell but you can have a very good feel of your production gain on your initial start. The UA is also nice to connect cities with no upkeep if you have a very forested start (compensating the loss of strategic resource sales)

4. LostInTime

LostInTime Warlord

If you just could get horses in your capital every time, Russia would be awesome. But it's too luck based :(

Also, the Krepost isn't that good, and the Cossack doesn't feel that much better than Cavalry, so the other stuff seems lacking.

5. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

5 strategics go for 225 :c5gold: per 30 turns so lots of financial opportunities there. The production bonus is just a... bonus. Iron and horses will sell to most AIs as long as frigates and cavalry are in play (depends on difficulty level). I wouldn't trade around Uranium though.

The Ai is stupid enough to build resource units and then declare on the supplier. At least was, don't know if the latest patch changed anything in that regard. So that's a bonus as well! :D

6. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

Having iron or alluminium in late game is freaky production :crazyeye:

7. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

Coal and Oil too.

8. Trickster7135

Trickster7135 Prince

The Krepost got nerfed at some point, Russia used to be my favorite when it increased border popping by 50%, but only for culture. I remember playing a cultural victory and have each city covering six tiles away.