[RD] Russia Invades Ukraine--Act 3: Ride of the Valkyries

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Birdjaguar, May 9, 2022.

1. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

I don't think it is very realistic to see this as a chance for a more healthy lifestyle.
    What worries me (apart from the general economic downturn, which in some places will make worse the existing one) particularly is that the public was never informed about the very likely results of this prelude to a world war. Do you think that most people are ok with losing (not just a couple of years, with covid etc) any prospect at a regular life, over another country?
    If you answer yes, it is noble, but not realistic. I hope I can emigrate since I am fed up with the general misery and now war looming.

From a quick googling, it seems that China is producing 1/4 of the world's grain. That it imports (in most years) even more, shouldn't calm you either :)

upload_2022-5-15_9-53-9.png

2. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Basically we all need to eat less meat anyway.

Think I had vegetarian for dinner and breakfast.

I don't care if my lifestyle takes a hit over Ukraine. There's a right and a wrong and compared to marching off on troopships to face ze Germans and not see your family for 4-5 years this is nothing.

3. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

Hopefully not a human one ^_^ (also known to happen during famines, including that one in Ukraine)

4. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Na had oats for breakfast and some hipster pattie in a burger for dinner.

Wife wanted to try them it was like a sweet falafel. Even in the war years they didn't ration butter until 42 and even then it was something like 1 pound per person per week.

Kyriakos likes this.
  5. r16

r16 not deity

people should stick to turrets 50 meters in the air instead of how the West is also the top food producer . The deprivations are for the Browns and whatever . Nothing can touch the West ! Will add another ! if one is not enough !

6. Farm Boy

Farm Boy syntax error

Oh, I agree. But we should probably still pay attention to who is ******* up the spring planting. All death that should occur, ultimately, is a choice. They're richer than they know, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't know better. Either way. You know. The basics.

7. keli

keli King

China is the largest food importer on this planet. How did it make it to your list? Europe is self reliant. Russia has no leverage other than gas…

ywhtptgtfo and thetrooper like this.
  8. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Apparently if the Russian sanctions were slapped on China 500 million Chinese would be looking at starvation in 6-12 months.

keli likes this.
  9. r16

r16 not deity

and who offered Kiev and all in a country where there is a specific term of Rasputitza so that you can't fight a quarter or a third of the year while the one single strongman is dying and so on ? Am not the 1/1000 expert of Russia some people are but even ı know the Russians always become the worst sons of professional s x workers when pained enough . The blockade was to be broken by a victory on the Snake Island . Where are USN people bragging for the sinking of Moskva ? Angling to sink yet another Russian ship now ?

10. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

Maybe we can reach again that period in the past, when being fat meant you have to be rich.

11. Verbose

Verbose Deity

If Russia is successful, then it gets its way in how international politics should be played henceforth – if so, sure, why not?

12. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

Ι αμ just alluding to that outdated view according to which in δemocracies the view of the people does matter. Otherwise, just have a few figureheads and tv personalities speak of their version of what one has to do in λife etc.
    Extrapolating, one can also regard this to be true of entire countries; some do indeed view this as a noble battle, so they should be free to φight in it. Just not free to bring the reσt into doom.

By the way, Verbose, since you (iirc) believe that the Eu would militarily defend its members, what is the point of Finland (and Sweden) being in nato? Last I've heard, France has some nukes too.
    Curious how a little over a decade ago, the Eu was still supposed to be a superpower. Now it is simply the largest client of the US, with no policy of its own and ready to accept orders for energy and military. You can suspect I shed no tear for the loss of nordstream2, but I'd like to hope it wasn't "lost" on you.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  13. r16

r16 not deity

lovingly funny . Sweden reportedly claims it will recognize the [lraqi side of the] seperatists as a terrorist organization . No , ı won't say yes , what do you take me for ?

14. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

A small enciclement between Popamsa and Lyman might be possible, Its not like Russia massing of forces is going to go undetected. Provided Ukraine dosnt end up being encircled even if it end up giving up the salient probably considered an ok outcome as the slow destruction of Russian material and manpower.

Incredible shrinking of Russia’s goals in Eastern Ukraine since the start of the war

15. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Super Moderator

France can't sustain a high intensity conflict, not enough ammos. Nuclear attack on one country alone being very very very highly unlikely, while a conventional invasion by Russia being a threat for any of it's smaller neighbors, it's safer to have also the US backing you.

16. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago Moderator

It doesn't export much, its for home consumption.
    Countries like the US, Canada and France have large surpluses so they are more important for countries with a shortfall. Something like 90% of the wheat that is exported is produced in Europe and North America.
    Poor African and Asian countries are the ones that will have major problems this year.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  17. red_elk

red_elk Deity

They are still planning to recapture it apparently. Russian TV showing killed Ukrainian troops on the island, but that supposedly from last attempt 7-9 of May.

18. r16

r16 not deity

not newsworthy . Will be newsworthy only if the troops who radioed Russian Battleship are back on the island . Like is there a recording of that anyhow ?

19. saamohod

saamohod Emperor

Sounds legit

20. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Those are still in captivity, I assume. The reports about Admiral Makarov being sunk then returning to Sevastopol intact, aren't newsworthy too.