[RD] Russia invades Ukraine V: The Turning Tide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Russian channels saying Kreminna is having a hard time and Russians are defending heroically (killing hundreds),

the very same Western decision makers who said the invasion of Iraq would self finance with the Iraqi oil ? Oh , that still stings . Accordingly no concessions , no cheap oil , no free gas . Wear a sweater , next year or the next after next .

ah , achso , the Kurds have oil , too ! Won't the Western decision makers do something ? It is not as much as the Portugese guy says , but that's understandable as all sorts of Western intelligence services cloud those news networks , but ı expect no complaints about the high costs of sweaters . It's worth in the name of Liberty and Freedom .

How can it be that after 9 months of war you keep believing in the lies about Russia running out of ammunition? They are using more ammunition in a month than combine NATO has in their whole stores. And they've been doing that for 9 months. If they had ammunition supply problems, or logistics problems, that would have become evident through a lower rate of use long, long ago. This has not happened at all.
I'm willing to talk about the specific case of the ongoing NATO disarmament also.

And yet, you've ignored the explanation here:

Keep living in your parallel reality.

By the way, I've recently read some articles (in Czech) about the armories in Czech Republic, Poland, Bulgaria and other former WP countries ramping up production and looking to expand their production lines. That's very important for current conflict-they're capable of producing old WP standard ammunition, and despite the huge amount of materiel flowing to Ukraine, it's still using mostly WP standard weapons. It's not insignificant capacity, either. For example Czech Republic has long tradition of weapon production and Czechoslovakia was second biggest weapons producer in Warsaw Pact.

and of course the reason why the pipelines were blown up was that very no concessions line , maybe a week before the explosions . Mighty Westerners teaching Russians their place after the dare to dare refusing to be an economic vassal and so on . Norway , which alone kept its Army at alert or whatever was recently busy sending its Prime Minister to get Scholz of Germany to talk with Putin , so that Kremlin would prevent some other brand of eco terrorist submersibles that are known to map the Norwegian - Polish pipeline . Get those former WP factorities ramp up the production of wasserbomben as well .

Russian channels saying Kreminna is having a hard time and Russians are defending heroically (killing hundreds),
Left the post halfway...

...and as always Russians say they are killing hundreds of ukrainians it indeed means Ukrainians are killing hundreds of Russians, Kreminna likely to be liberated soon, then Lisichansk and Severodonetsk.

How can it be that after 9 months of war you keep believing in the lies about Russia running out of ammunition? They are using more ammunition in a month than combine NATO has in their whole stores. And they've been doing that for 9 months. If they had ammunition supply problems, or logistics problems, that would have become evident through a lower rate of use long, long ago. This has not happened at all.
Reports says the opposite, their artillery was firing much much more at the beginning of the war.

But there is also no doubt that they're not completely out of ammo, and they may be restocking for a future offensive, like they seem to be doing for missiles between waves.

Meanwhile, more and more people start to realize the threat.

“Russia has refused to become part of the civilized world, and in the version in which it exists, the world will no longer accept it....
.... It poses a threat to the NATO countries - Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. The empire must be destroyed because it will not stop."

am pretty sure the Empire accepts the German challenge . Where was this German admiral when some other German general or admiral said the exact opposite ?

As for the economy, it seems to be doing fine. Russia actually exported the raw materials that western Europe now lacks - it's our factories shutting down for lack of cost-effective inputs, not theirs. It's our companies now shifting production to countries switch lower raw materials and energy costs - something Macron went to Washington to ineffectually complain about.

The Napoleonic wars? That's irrelevant for the present, but for the sake of accuracy those were the ones where Napoleon marched his grand armée to Moscow and had it all starve and freeze to death on the way back. Ended with the russians celebrating victory in Paris. No, russian armies have never been ineffective at logistics. Tactics, yes there are histiorical examples. Including overrining their logistics support. But inability at logistics per se, within Russia, never. They need the best logistics in Eurasia - they have the largest country to move in. As with the "running out of ammo" propaganda, the "bad russian logistics" propaganda is a blatant lie fed to the western puiblic so that support for the stupid "war to weaken Russia" idea does not collapse. In this war the russian high command has been careful to keep the war close, in eastern Ukraine, while it grinds away at the ukranina military. The stree of extended logistics is on NATO and ukraine, not on Russia. The chose to fight on the best logistical position, NATO chose to participate in this war in the worst to send materiel there. Compete strategic stupidity on the western side: pick a proxy war with Russia and fight it on the worst terms possible.

Ukraine is getting trounced and people still live in the media-created echo chamber waiting for the russian defeat? Ursula for once told the truth, or near it - by now it's probably 150 to 200 thousand dead among Ukraine's military. In 9 months. It's a worse rate of attrition than France suffered in WW1, where twice as populated France and with a much younger population suffered some 1300 thousand deaths over 4 years. And that was so bad that France wasted little time in surrendering in a rematch. This breaks a country. And people here still cheer for this war going on believing on a ukranian victory? Russia is not embargoed imperial Germany - it's an autarky on everything it needed for a war, and it's also not isolated from the rest of Eurasia.

Crazy. There will be hell to pay across Europe for this strategic blunder, made much worse by the usual resistance to acknowledge a mistake. Or perhaps the idea by now is that Ukraine should be depopulated of military-age men so that they can cause no trouble for russians and for their NATO allies alike when they are defeated and looking for something to blame it on? Better they all die in the battlefield, is that it? In any case Ukraine is getting dismantled as a state. In an avoidable war where the sane thing would have been to negotiate an end to it immediately, it instead was encouraged to keep on the crash course.
Russia could have done the sane thing and not started a war, or tried to take over parts of Ukraine. The sane thing would have been diplomacy but Russia decided on war. When a madman attacks you, you don't waste your breath trying to talk. You beat the madman to a pulp and make the madman leave and go home...

Btw I never said Russia is running out of artillery rounds and missiles. I said Russia was BUYING artillery shells and missiles from other countries. Logistically, Russia has trouble feeding and clothing their troops, and are now using 50-year-old tanks because Russia can't produce newer models in sufficient numbers.

From what I understand it is very hard to move on unfreezed terrain, both sides are stucked now.
Russians and Ukrainian may have forces for advance, they are just waiting for the right opportunity.
What is alarming is that even after 9 months Ukraine did not receive any modern aircraft and tanks needed for offensive.

Russia is likely trying to train the mobilized men to replace their ghastly losses and maybe add to their total deployed manpower.
If Russia still has forces ready to advance at the next opportunity, imo this doesn't bode very well for Ukraine. Russians were supposed to run out of modern equipment several times and long ago; the fact that this evidently has not happened is bad news.

Contra inno my understanding is that there was a drastic fall-off in Russian artillery fire a few months ago (perhaps coinciding with Ukraine's use of rocket artillery with longer range than howitzers to attack the Russian logistics?) But I've seen a number of recent news stories talking about very heavy Russian shelling both in the area of Bakhmut and in newly-liberated Kherson. This also doesn't bode well.

And I don't mean this in the sense that I think Ukraine is likely to be driven back significantly in the near future, but Russian forces still having fight in them means that Ukraine has a lot of work to do to retake its territory even leaving Crimea out of the equation. They've made some gains but a look at the map will tell you they've only taken a small bite out of the occupied territory, and from what I can tell the cost of the Kherson offensive was not cheap (the northern one seemed to achieve tactical surprise so things afaict went a bit better there).

Russia is likely trying to train the mobilized men to replace their ghastly losses and maybe add to their total deployed manpower.
If Russia still has forces ready to advance at the next opportunity, imo this doesn't bode very well for Ukraine. Russians were supposed to run out of modern equipment several times and long ago; the fact that this evidently has not happened is bad news.

Contra inno my understanding is that there was a drastic fall-off in Russian artillery fire a few months ago (perhaps coinciding with Ukraine's use of rocket artillery with longer range than howitzers to attack the Russian logistics?) But I've seen a number of recent news stories talking about very heavy Russian shelling both in the area of Bakhmut and in newly-liberated Kherson. This also doesn't bode well.
I'm sorry, but did you think we would get some sort of Hollywood version of the war, where suddenly armed forces goes from 100 to 0 because of shortages ?
Russia IS in a dire shortage of modern equipment. The airforce is a shadow of what it was at the beginning of the war (it's basically nonexistent beyond the frontline, and often barely active at the frontline). Tanks are much less common now, and they had to bring effing T-62 to serve as mobile artillery. Artillery intensity has been massively cut. Missile strikes include weapons that weren't designed to do this job to begin with (ground-to-air missiles like S-300 and nuclear-designed ones without charges as decoy like x-55). Russia's only offensive left is basically throwing waves of convicts and conscripts without any heavy equipment.
What exactly did you expect that isn't already happening ?
And I don't mean this in the sense that I think Ukraine is likely to be driven back significantly in the near future, but Russian forces still having fight in them means that Ukraine has a lot of work to do to retake its territory even leaving Crimea out of the equation. They've made some gains but a look at the map will tell you they've only taken a small bite out of the occupied territory, and from what I can tell the cost of the Kherson offensive was not cheap (the northern one seemed to achieve tactical surprise so things afaict went a bit better there).
The "small bite" is 55 % of the maximum occupied territory. That's over half. I don't know what you call a "big bite" if "over half" is "small".
And obviously Russia will be painful and long to kick out (unless the West finally understand that it's less costly to push hard for a short while than soft for a long while, and finally delivers real heavy help to Ukraine with serious numbers of aircrafts and tanks, at which point you can expect the whole Russian army to melt in a few weeks).
I don't think anybody has ever claimed it would be a walk in the park. In fact, if Russia is allowed time to rest and gather its forces, it could even go back on the offensive by spring with somewhat trained conscripts and drags the war even further.
But the fact is, Russia can only win by trying to dry up Western help to Ukraine through trying to trade massive amount of meatshield for "ally fatigue". It can inflict massive damage to Ukraine lands, but it can't win anymore as long as military help comes through.

I'm sorry, but did you think we would get some sort of Hollywood version of the war, where suddenly armed forces goes from 100 to 0 because of shortages ?

Hollywood? We've seen, in real history, what happens when an army that lacks modern equipment and adequate supplies goes up against an army that has both. It is not what is currently happening in Ukraine.

Russia's only offensive left is basically throwing waves of convicts and conscripts without any heavy equipment.

In the Bakhmut area? Again, the reports I'm seeing are talking about fairly intense Russian artillery bombardment so this is obviously untrue.

The "small bite" is 55 % of the maximum occupied territory. That's over half. I don't know what you call a "big bite" if "over half" is "small".

I'm not counting the areas Russia evacuated along the northern border and around Kyiv. The Kharkiv and Kherson offensives combined have not liberated 55% of the remaining occupied territory.

I don't think anybody has ever claimed it would be a walk in the park.
at which point you can expect the whole Russian army to melt in a few weeks).

You're claiming right here in the same post that it would be a walk in the park.
But the fact is, Russia can only win by trying to dry up Western help to Ukraine through trying to trade massive amount of meatshield for "ally fatigue". It can inflict massive damage to Ukraine lands, but it can't win anymore as long as military help comes through.

I don't know what you're trying to argue here, really. I'm not arguing that Russia can "win", I'm arguing that it's going to be very difficult for Ukraine to "win." And since you apparently don't believe it will be a "walk in the park" you agree with me, but for whatever reason, have chosen to make a reply with a very hostile tone that is ostensibly rebutting what I said.

Last edited:
Will Russia negotiate for peace and leave if Ukraine acknowledges whatever crimes you say it's guilty of?
I don't know what Russia will do. People seem to confuse me with Putin here, consistently.
I've always been against this invasion and advocate for immediate cease fire and peace negotiations as soon as it started.

Russians are wondering whether you'll admit Ukraine doing anything wrong at all, or will only demand "repentance".
Ukraine is defending itself. Russia has no excuses. False equivalency is not one.

I don't know what Russia will do. People seem to confuse me with Putin here, consistently.
I've always been against this invasion and advocate for immediate cease fire and peace negotiations as soon as it started.
Negotiations between whom – what are the parties to this conflict? And you might have a personal idea about that, but that matters not – the only thing that matters is who the Russian leadership in the Kremlin think are the parties, and the ones who need to negotiate.

So far all indications is that Ukraine is not one of them. While the US is. And, yes, so here we are.

At some point, as a Russian citizen, you can't just hide behind the Kremlin. Your opinion might not matter – but then, are you surprised no one is really interested in it? The Russian government does all manner of things in the name of Russia and the Russians. Whether you agree or not, at some point the Kremlin established co-ownership of it for you, for all Russians, as well.

“Russia has refused to become part of the civilized world, and in the version in which it exists, the world will no longer accept it....
.... It poses a threat to the NATO countries - Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. The empire must be destroyed because it will not stop."

The problem is empire. The rest of Europe spent 30 years treating Russia as post-imperial, increasingly choosing to avert its eyes from the return of empire. In the end, empire got in the way to an extent that it cannot be avoided, excused or explained away anymore. To the extent Russia struggles to think of itself without empire, it's a more ingrained problem.

Russians are wondering whether you'll admit Ukraine doing anything wrong at all, or will only demand "repentance".
This isn't an answer to the question. It's more moving the goalposts, it's more deflection. You tried to gotcha Ukrainian war decisions r.e. casualties inflicted and the reception this has had in Russia. People asked what of Russian war decisions r.e. casualties inflicted and the best we've gotten is you inferring people think Ukraine has "done nothing wrong at all".
People seem to confuse me with Putin here, consistently.
Nah. People don't do this at all. They confuse you as someone who is repeatedly and persistently defensive of Russia (as a political and military power), perhaps. I'm not sure that's "confusion", though.

People confuse you for Putin about as much as you confuse other posters for being political or military proxies for their own countries. Which is to say, if the bar is that low, we all are. You included.
You've advocated for peace negotiations that require Ukraine to make concessions, and for Russia to make none. This is an important point that you seem to have neglected to include in your moral stand, here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom