[RD] Russia invades Ukraine V: The Turning Tide

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a little more levity, it seems that there was (yet another) leak of confidential data in the War Thunder forums. Mostly about old MiG-29 spec, but also about the brand-new wunderweapon Su-57. When the need to brag about what you know online defeat intelligence agencies :D

Seemingly, the Su-57 isn't that stealthy (paint me surprised), which might explain why they are barely used on the frontline, and always over Russian-occupied territory.

Norway to order 54 new army tanks from Germany​

The Nordic NATO member, which shares a 196 km (122 miles)Arctic border with Russia, had planned to choose either German-made Leopard 2 A7 tanks or the rival Korean-produced K2 Black Panther, made by Hyundai Rotem. Norway had originally planned to acquire 72 tanks, but in recent months discussed a scaled-down purchase after the country's chief of defence recommended spending more funds on helicopters, drones and long-range artillery

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/norway-order-54-new-army-tanks-germany-nrk-2023-02-03/

Seemingly, the Su-57 isn't that stealthy (paint me surprised), which might explain why they are barely used on the frontline, and always over Russian-occupied territory.

A small number Su-57s just became operational in Eastern Russia. Some have been used to fire missiles at targets in Ukraine (live testing).

India left the co-development project of the Su-57 in 2018. They argued it was too expensive, poorly engineered, unreliable engines and its radar defeat capabilities not up to requested standard. As far as I know, no foreign buyers have procured future Su-57s. With that said, it's very likely a more effective weapons platform than the vast majority of the fighter aircraft that Russia currently have in their inventory.

Last edited:
The NYT really seems to be pushing this angle hard (two related pieces, a day after each other).

Strange how in this case, Western media is acceptable. It's almost like it's the tone of the coverage that matters, and not the facts reported therein. I'm not saying the IMF prediction is make-believe - it happened. I'm saying it's very interesting that it's "Western media bad" whenever the predictions go against Russia, or come up in favour of Ukraine.
Western media is slipping >_<
/sarcasm

A small number Su-57s just became operational in Eastern Russia. Some have been used to fire missiles at targets in Ukraine (live testing).

India left the co-development project of the Su-57 in 2018. They argued it was too expensive, poorly engineered, unreliable engines and its radar defeat capabilities not up to requested standard. As far as I know, no foreign buyers have procured future Su-57s. With that said, it's very likely a more effective weapons platform than the vast majority of the fighter aircraft that Russia currently have in their inventory.
Even if foreign buyers wanted to get Su-57, Russia can't even produce them for itself.
Just like the T-14 Armata, the whole army was supposed to be entirely equiped with them by now in the initial plan (they planned to have 2300 T-14 for 2020 and over 200 Su-57 by 2025), both are still barely at first post-prototype line with produced units in the single digit a year.

I think the whole Russia has something like 5 Su-57 and 20 T-14, and there was rumors that the T-14 was actually abandonned this year.
I'm not sure the Su-57 is actually really that better than existing Soviet jets. It certainly has more potential, but it's still largely untested and, as usual, it's so full of lies that it's hard to know what exactly are its spec (the famous photo with metal screw visible on the wings, for what pretends to be a "stealth" aircraft, was pretty telling).

Last edited:
I thought theres were launched via HIMARS ?
Maybe they will be less sophisticated export versions that will have to be manufactored

More likely they ran out of engines and need to restart the manufacturing process. GLSDB is kind of "recycled" weapon. It's a rocket engine from obsolete, discontinued missiles for M270/HIMARS systems mated with GBU-39 small diameter glide bomb.

But then...it's industry official who said that, not a Pentagon officer. They probably don't know whether the new units will be sent to Ukraine, or used to replenish stocks after sending some already manufactured weapons. And it could be just information warfare. We know that not everything US sends is publicized.

It seems Wagner has been spent almost completely at Bakhmut. The survivors are being sent to quieter fronts as Zaporizhia. Regular troops are replacing them. I wonder if they will agree to continue Wagner´s zombie attack tactic which have shown to be slightly successful while utterly suicidal.

What are the sources for this information?

I thought theres were launched via HIMARS ?
Maybe they will be less sophisticated export versions that will have to be manufactored

Oh dear, there is scope for things to get worse.

Let me explain.

I read the bit about the "GPS-Guided Bombs"

My car doesn't have a satnav, I use old fashioned hard copy maps.

That is getting problematic as DTF maps are now rarely updated.

People tell me I should get a modern navigation aid and I half agree.

But that won't be of any use if and when the Russians target the GPS satellites.

But that won't be of any use if and when the Russians target the GPS satellites.
Wiki sez:
The GPS satellites circle the Earth at an altitude of about 20,000 km (12,427 miles) and complete two full orbits every day.
Does Russia have anti-satellite missiles that can reach 20,000 km altitude and hit targets travelling at (rough estimate, if I've done my sums right) ~13,000 km/h...?

Last edited:
It's not strange, it's the Trump way of looking at things.
No, it's simple logic.

If RIA Novosti reports about ~100 killed Russian soldiers in Ukrainian strike, you say "even Russians themselves admit casualties"
and if it reports about ~100 killed Ukrainian soldiers after Russian retaliation, you say "probably lies and propaganda"

So don't be surprised that I treat NYT reports favorable to Russia as more trustworthy too.
If this source is biased, the bias is for sure not in Russia's favor.

and if it reports about ~100 killed Ukrainian soldiers after Russian retaliation, you say "probably lies and propaganda"

That was confirmed lies, which pissed off even Russians telegram channels.

That was confirmed lies, which pissed off even Russians telegram channels.
Even Russian telegram channels, which you supposedly don't trust, except on this matter? :)

Funny how you objected to non-essential detail of my post and managed to confirm the whole point of it.

Even Russian telegram channels, which you supposedly don't trust, except on this matter? :)

Funny how you objected to non-essential detail of my post and managed to confirm the whole point of it.

AFAIK some are followed by pro-Ukrainian OSINT because they're accurate for following the changes on the frontline, and have first-hand reports of what's happening on the Russian side. IMO they are much more truth worthy than Russian official reports.

Wiki sez:

Does Russia have anti-satellite missiles that can reach 20,000 km altitude and hit targets travelling at (rough estimate, if I've done my sums right) ~13,000 km/h...?

Since 1957:

No, it's simple logic.

If RIA Novosti reports about ~100 killed Russian soldiers in Ukrainian strike, you say "even Russians themselves admit casualties"

So don't be surprised that I treat NYT reports favorable to Russia as more trustworthy too.
If this source is biased, the bias is for sure not in Russia's favor.
This is just silly. If RIA Novosti admits casualties, it means it can't propaganda them away. If it claims offensive kills, these still require verification.

Meanwhile the NYT reporting on the IMF is reporting on something there's no need to verify. Because it happened. Now, if the NYT said "Putin will be dead within a week because the ghost of Reagan cursed him", that'd require verification :D

This is just you attempting to defend your media bias ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom