[RD] Russia Invades Ukraine: War News Thread: Round 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure it's all Western propaganda, Russians would not commit war crimes of the sort !

I'm guessing that Putin would rather lose eastern Ukraine than he would any route to the Crimea. The flooding would seem to make the river crossing more difficult for the Ukrainian army. Blowing up the dam would seem to force the UA to the east and not south. but I guess we'll see.

Based on occam's razor it was definitely the Russians.

1) Blowing up the dam prevents any kind of amphibious manouver
2) It results in partial flooding of Kherson and multiple Ukrainian settlements
3) It endangers the cooling of Energodar
4) It destroys one of the most crucial hydro plants in Ukraine
5) It messes with drinking water supply

Ukraine wouldn't want any of the above. Like great, you flood the minefield, but obviously it doesn't matter as it's no longer remotely possible to cross the Dnipro.

That level of destruction can't be achieved with rockets or even bombs, but with demolition charges. So it has most probably been done by whoever controlled the damn.

Based on occam's razor it was definitely the Russians.

1) Blowing up the dam prevents any kind of amphibious manouver
2) It results in partial flooding of Kherson and multiple Ukrainian settlements
3) It endangers the cooling of Energodar
4) It destroys one of the most crucial hydro plants in Ukraine
5) It messes with drinking water supply

Ukraine wouldn't want any of the above. Like great, you flood the minefield, but obviously it doesn't matter as it's no longer remotely possible to cross the Dnipro.
Also : the one side that has consistently shown gross disreguard for life, actively commited all possible war crimes and systematically targeted civilian infrastructure.

October 2022:

scrnli_6_6_2023_9-56-46 AM.png

Last edited:
I fear Russians have just checkmated Ukrainian offensive :(

Was this dam more important to Russia or Ukraine? Does it create a huge problem with water to Crimea?
Reminds one of the Nordstream destruction, which sort of fell off the news without any actual investigation.

What makes you think that? Ukraine has had information about Russians' planted explosives in the generator room and other venues deep inside the structure since last August at least. I'm sure this threat was taken into account.

Maybe for now. Downstream the water barrier may be wider but upstream it will be narrower. May be even easier to cross it in 2-3 weeks or a month, when the mud dries off.
In any case this shows Russia is playing all its cards and is really afraid of Ukrainia's counter-offensive.

Maybe for now. Downstream the water barrier may be wider but upstream it will be narrower. May be even easier to cross it in 2-3 weeks or a month, when the mud dries off.
In any case this shows Russia is playing all its cards and is really afraid of Ukrainia's counter-offensive.
Up to now, with the dam being destroyed, were there any news about a pending move by Ukraine in that region at all?
How will Crimea be supplied with water? (Reuters article about that risk now)

The Ukrainians have explicitly asked to not report such news, a request happily followed by most it seems.
Which doesn't mean there was any plan to attack there.
Besides, weren't the russian troops there entrenched for literally an entire year? (let alone on the other side of a river) (@red_elk ?)

If Ukraine wanted to deprive Crimea of water by blowing the dam, why do it now? Makes no sense whatsoever. Plus I still don't see any confirmation that the fresh water supply of Crimea would be threatened.

The dam was controlled and mined by the Russians as I understand it, so they could blow it up at any time, now they can't.

Ofcours given the performance of the Russian army so far it is just as likely a drunk conscript blew it up by accident.

The dam was controlled and mined by the Russians as I understand it, so they could blow it up at any time, now they can't.

Ofcours given the performance of the Russian army so far it is just as likely a drunk conscript blew it up by accident.
The destruction has been announced, as pending, by Ukraine, for some time now, with the claim that Russia would do it to blame Ukraine.
But who would ever think that the "west" would take Russia's side, thus making such a blame-game feasible by Russia?
As usual, no actual information (or even will for such) to establish who did it (ala Nordstream).

The west will not take "Russia's side" that would be silly, by invading Ukraine they are to blame for all destruction that follows, quite regardless of who detonated the explosives.

That was tge weak point of the Russian line. No idea if Ukraine woukd gave bridging units etc to make use of it.

Moot point now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom