[RD] Russia Invades Ukraine: War News Thread: Round 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or may be 11. There are allegations that Ukraine may use them too, in addition to Maxims.
The thing about a machine gun like the Maxim is that it’s still useful on the battlefield: look at the service life of other small arms like the M1911, AK-47, and M2 Browning. Even the Lee-Enfield rifle from 1895 is still in service with some militaries and insurgency groups.

Only for donations of 10K or more

Star Wars actor Mark Hamill raises money for Ukraine drones: 'They're the eyes in the sky'​

"Army of Drones" project, United24 is raffling off 10 signed Star Wars posters created by original artists that feature Hamill's signature. Five of the posters are guaranteed to participants who donate $10,000 or more, and the project aims to raise $1,500,000 to purchase 10 RQ-35 Heidrun reconnaissance drones.
Hamill detailed how President Zelensky himself reached out to offer him the opportunity to be the face of the "Army of Drones" project.
"I immediately said yes — I was very well aware of what had happened because I do follow the news closely and we were all in a state of shock that this could happen," Hamill said.

Yep, selective blindness is common practice in these threads, no reason to stand out.

You'd think after all this year there would at least be the realization of just how much Russia "lies"
Most of it is just Ruski Mir propaganda that falls apart on examination.

I ask again why you are aware that western media manipulates the narrative but never apply the same cynical examination to Russian media claims ?

The thing about a machine gun like the Maxim is that it’s still useful on the battlefield: look at the service life of other small arms like the M1911, AK-47, and M2 Browning. Even the Lee-Enfield rifle from 1895 is still in service with some militaries and insurgency groups.
Not sure what you want to say. T-34 is also in service with some militaries.
When it comes to Ukraine, the oldest tank Russia uses is T-62, while equipment like M-60 or B-52 are older and still in service with NATO militaries.

Not sure what you want to say. T-34 is also in service with some militaries.
When it comes to Ukraine, the oldest tank Russia uses is T-62, while equipment like M-60 or B-52 are older and still in service with NATO militaries.
The US military has been phasing out the old M-60s and M-48s for years. They were assigned to Guard and Reserve units when the M-1s started replacing the Pattons in the early Eighties. I doubt any of the M-60A3s are present in any formation above platoon in any Reserve unit currently.

The B-52, which incidentally is older then me, is an amazing airframe that has evolved from old school iron bombs to standoff cruise missile platform.

To be fair here, the Russian military still uses AK-47s, which dates back to the 1950s (again, older than me), and why shouldn't they? It's the best infantry rifle ever made and its presence is widespread.

Some plausible explanation for the T-55 case.
1679759388716.png

I remember hearing last year about a 'Brazilian', who was allegedly actually a Russian spy, caught trying to get job in ICC. Here's more details:

There are rumors circulating, that the Russian generals are abandoning the offensive at Bakhmut and instead ordered the commanders there to 'dig in' in defensive positions. Also, Prigozhin is rumored to be planning a withdraval of Wagner forces from the Bakhmut area. Rumors only at this stage, not confirmed.

The B-52 is like the Tu-95. Every time it looks like it's obsolete, a new use is found for it.

B-52s in service are vastly upgraded compared to its Cold War companion. So, it is still relevant. It's the same with the F-16 - it is still being produced, because upgrades have extended the longevity of the design beyond what was originally envisioned. Here, the F-16 is called the 'Swiss Army Knife of fighter bombers', because it is just so versatile and enduring.

It's the same with the F-16 - it is still being produced, because upgrades have extended the longevity of the design beyond what was originally envisioned. Here, the F-16 is called the 'Swiss Army Knife of fighter bombers', because it is just so versatile and enduring.

And to think it was developed as light fighter....

B-52s in service are vastly upgraded compared to its Cold War companion. So, it is still relevant. It's the same with the F-16 - it is still being produced, because upgrades have extended the longevity of the design beyond what was originally envisioned. Here, the F-16 is called the 'Swiss Army Knife of fighter bombers', because it is just so versatile and enduring.

There's very little progress on things like guns and plane airframe last 50 odd years (longer for guns).

Basic physics for airframe, similar for guns. Electronics and materials are the big advantages now.

Modern sniper titles have longer range fir example. Not so much due to the gun but the computer tgst calculates wind speed, trajectory etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom