[RD] Russia Invades Ukraine: War News Thread: Round 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
\\\\\\\\\\\

Just because it is called "Military Watch Magazine"' doesn't mean that it's not Russian propaganda controlled.
The claim that Russia uses T-62s outfitted with Cold War era thermal sights is Russian propaganda?

What's the reliability of this mediabiasfactcheck site?
From what I can see it tends to rate pro-Western sources highly, including clearly biased US government funded outlets, such as RFE/RL.

Last edited:
mediabiasfactcheck is itself a Western propaganda site. It rates pro-Western sources highly, including clearly biased US government funded outlets, such as RFE/RL.
So I'm confused. Is propaganda good or bad? And can I defend all propaganda I share good by calling everyone who calls it propaganda as being propaganda themselves?

Asking for a friend.

It's nearly like democratic countries where you can express your opinion and criticizes people in power tend to have better and more truthful reporting than dictatorship where you can be arrested for holding a white piece of paper.
Who would have guessed. Must be some evil propaganda, quick let's lock up people who disagree to show how more free we are here than in the decadent West (where we send our own children if we can afford it while ranting at length how the West is worse than home).

From what I can see it tends to rate pro-Western sources highly, including clearly biased US government funded outlets, such as RFE/RL.
Perhaps you should read the summaries more fully? Sourcing of information seems to be a problem for pro-Russian sources. No reporter to attribute to the articles? Being very generous, I would think maybe the news agencies work more as a team, that is why author/journalist isn't listed. But I suspect it's more the case of someone is just being told what to type, so journalist/author of article doesn't matter (IMO, Tass really looks like just Kremlin press releases).

Bias is not the only measure, and it depends on how much and often that bias is shown. RFE did take a hit on their score for sometimes posting pro-USA government propaganda.

Truth of facts has RFE as 'mostly factual', Tass as mixed, RT as very low (see failed fact checks below)....and note that statements like: Russia will run out of missiles, Russia will collapse by x date, Europe will freeze, Russia will take Kiev in 3 days, etc., were not 'Lies' that can be be 'fact checked', they were just really bad predictions.

Radio Free Europe:

Failed Fact Checks​

• None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate RFE/RL Least Biased based on neutral language and balance of coverage. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting versus High due to infrequently publishing pro-USA Government propaganda. (M. Huitsing 5/8/2018) Updated (04/01/2022)

Russia Today:

Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate RT Questionable based on promoting pro-Russian propaganda, conspiracy theories, numerous failed fact checks, and a lack of author transparency. (5/18/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 09/17/2022)

Tass:
(no failed fact checks? site is missing this section for Tass), so I'll include the analysis/bias:

Analysis / Bias

In review, TASS is a news wire service similar to the Associated Press, but there is no comparison between the two. The only similarity is both use low-biased headlines and wording; however, TASS is 100% Russian propaganda all the time. It is impossible to find an article critical of Vladimir Putin and his administration. TASS does not cite sources in their news reporting and often omits reporting that is not positive about Russia. Further, they report favorably on former President Trump and often promote disinformation directed at Trump’s opponents such as this: Joe Biden’s son and his partners received $16.5 million from Burisma — Ukrainian MP. This story lacks sourcing to back claims. The bottom line is TASS is a puppet of the Russian Regime.

Overall, we rate the Russian News Agency (TASS), Questionable based on the consistent promotion of Russian Propaganda, conspiracies, and poor sourcing of information.

What's the reliability of this mediabiasfactcheck site?
This reminds me of using fact checkers against stuff Maga fanatics post, only to be told they don't believe in fact checkers! You just can't win!

TASS is 100% Russian propaganda all the time. It is impossible to find an article critical of Vladimir Putin and his administration. TASS does not cite sources in their news reporting and often omits reporting that is not positive about Russia.
Do you know that TASS is the acronym for "Telegraph Agency of the Soviet Union"?

Russia’s security service arrested an American reporter for The Wall Street Journal on espionage charges, the first time a U.S. correspondent has been detained on spying accusations since the Cold War. The newspaper denied the allegations and demanded his release.

Evan Gershkovich was detained in the city of Yekaterinburg while allegedly trying to obtain classified information, the Federal Security Service, known by the acronym FSB, said Thursday.

The service, which is the top domestic security agency and main successor to the Soviet-era KGB, alleged that Gershkovich “was acting on instructions from the American side to collect information about the activities of one of the enterprises of the Russian military-industrial complex that constitutes a state secret.”

“The Wall Street Journal vehemently denies the allegations from the FSB and seeks the immediate release of our trusted and dedicated reporter, Evan Gershkovich,” the newspaper said. “We stand in solidarity with Evan and his family.”

Earlier this week, a Russian court convicted a father over social media posts critical of the war and sentenced him to two years in prison while his 13-year-old daughter was sent to an orphanage.

TALLINN, Estonia (AP) — A Russian court on Tuesday convicted a single father over social media posts critical of the war in Ukraine and sentenced him to two years in prison — a case brought against him after his daughter’s drawing at school opposed the invasion, according to his lawyer and activists.

But Alexei Moskalyov fled house arrest before his verdict was delivered in his Russian hometown of Yefremov and is at large, court officials said. His 13-year-old daughter Maria, who has been taken from him by the authorities, wrote him a supportive letter for his trial from the orphanage where she is living, according to his lawyer, telling him, “Daddy, you’re my hero.”

Moskalyov’s case has drawn international attention and was a grim reminder that the Kremlin is intensifying its crackdown on dissent, targeting more people and handing out harsher punishments for any criticism of the war. The broad government campaign of repression has been unseen since the Soviet era.

The Reports that Russians were massing large number of troops in the north and south salients for a final attack, have been claimed to destroyed
Russians continue to advance though, via urban areas now
Theres been again acknowledgement of high Ukranian losses
Worth reading the full article

Ukrainians Directing Soldiers From a Hidden Hub See Bakhmut Going Their Way​

Ukrainian commanders say they have exhausted Russia’s relentless assaults on the eastern city, though soldiers say the cost in lives has been steep.
Russia has lost extraordinary numbers of troops in the battle, and Ukraine large numbers too, and as casualties have mounted, so has the political symbolism of the city.
“The density of assaults dropped by several times,” he said. “Before, they could assault in all directions simultaneously and in groups of not less than 20, 30 or 40 people, but gradually it is dying down.”

On the city’s northern and southern flanks, where Russian troops had tried to encircle Bakhmut in a pincers movement, the Russians were coming up against Ukraine’s most motivated units and no longer had momentum, he said.
“When they try to reinforce their units, to rotate, they are being destroyed at the very start,” he added.
All that’s left for them is to try to advance through the city, because the buildings protect them from fire.”

“They are dismantling the city. It seems that there was a new wave of assaults on them today from all sides in the north, in the south, in short, while all our positions are holding, it has become extremely difficult here.”
questioned the value of defending Bakhmut at the cost of some of his best special-operations forces.
“It’s hard to overcome the losses. And there are brigades with horrible losses.” Several of those have been rotated out

some little kid's picture
Kids drawing anti-war pictures are bad.
This is what good kids should look like

scrnli_3_30_2023_6-39-32 PM.png

This reminds me of using fact checkers against stuff Maga fanatics post, only to be told they don't believe in fact checkers! You just can't win!
I mean, yes, if you are arguing against "Maga fanatics", it would be a good idea to first agree with them on the sources or fact checkers which both sides trust. Otherwise neither you nor them can "win", meaning to make the opponent change their mind.
If I posted an article from pro-Russian source and confirm its reliability using pro-Russian or Russia-based fact checker, you'd probably be skeptical about it too.

Honestly fact checking sites are such bull. I mean who trusts a neoliberal mega corporation to check your facts and expect them to not have a profit driven motive just like the rest of the mass media entertainment business? Why do people need a corporation to check facts when they could instead do comparative analysis of data themselves?

Dmitry Muratov: Nuclear warning from Russia's Nobel-winning journalist​

The Russian authorities may have shut down his newspaper, but journalist Dmitry Muratov refuses to be silenced.
When we meet in Moscow, the editor-in-chief of Novaya Gazeta and Russia's Nobel Peace Prize laureate is worried how far the Kremlin will go in its confrontation with the West.
"Two generations have lived without the threat of nuclear war," Mr Muratov tells me. "But this period is over. Will Putin press the nuclear button, or won't he? Who knows? No one knows this. There isn't a single person who can say for sure."
Since Russia launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, Moscow's nuclear sabre-rattling has been loud and frequent.

Senior officials have dropped unsubtle hints that Western nations arming Ukraine should not push Russia too far. A few days ago, Russian President Vladimir Putin announced plans to station tactical nuclear weapons in Belarus.
Then one of his closest aides, Nikolai Patrushev, warned that Russia had a "modern unique weapon capable of destroying any enemy, including the United States".

Bluff and bluster? Or a threat that needs to be taken seriously? Mr Muratov has picked up worrying signs inside Russia.
"We see how state propaganda is preparing people to think that nuclear war isn't a bad thing," he says. "On TV channels here, nuclear war and nuclear weapons are promoted as if they're advertising pet food."
"They announce: 'We've got this missile, that missile, another kind of missile.' They talk about targeting Britain and France; about sparking a nuclear tsunami that washes away America. Why do they say this? So that people here are ready."
On Russian state TV recently, a prominent talk-show host suggested that Russia "should declare any military target on the territory of France, Poland and the United Kingdom a legitimate target for [Russia]".
The same presenter has also suggested "flattening an island with strategic nuclear weapons and carrying out a test launch or firing of tactical nuclear weapons, so that no one has any illusions".
Yet state propaganda here portrays Russia as a country of peace, and Ukraine and the West as the aggressors. Many Russians believe it.

"People in Russia have been irradiated by propaganda," Mr Muratov says. "Propaganda is a type of radiation. Everyone is susceptible to it, not just Russians. In Russia, propaganda is twelve TV channels, tens of thousands of newspapers, social media like VK [the Russian version of Facebook] that serves completely the state ideology."
"But what if tomorrow the propaganda suddenly stops?" I ask. "If it all goes quiet? What would Russians think then?"
"Our younger generation is wonderful," replies Mr Muratov. "It's well-educated. Nearly a million Russians have left the country. Many of those who've stayed are categorically against what is happening in Ukraine. They are against the hell that Russia has created there.
"I am convinced that as soon as the propaganda stops, this generation - and everyone else with common sense - will speak out."
"They're already doing so," he continues. "Twenty-one thousand administrative and criminal cases have been opened against Russians who've protested. The opposition is in jail. Media outlets have been shut down. Many activists, civilians and journalists have been labelled foreign agents.
"Does Putin have a support base? Yes, an enormous one. But these are elderly people who see Putin as their own grandson, as someone who will protect them and who brings them their pension every month and wishes them Happy New Year each year. These people believe their actual grandchildren should go and fight and die."

Last year Mr Muratov auctioned off his Nobel Peace prize to raise money for Ukrainian child refugees. He has little optimism about the future.
"Never again will there be normal relations between the people of Russia and Ukraine. Never. Ukraine will not be able to come to terms with this tragedy."
"In Russia political repression will continue against all opponents of the regime," he adds.
"The only hope I have lies with the young generation; those people who sees the world as a friend, not as an enemy and who want Russia to be loved and for Russia to love the world.
"I hope that this generation will outlive me and Putin."
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65119595

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom