Russia most powerful for combat?

Oberon Blade

Chieftain
According to the manual Catherine of Russia is having a quite nifty trait.

Unique Trait
Mother Russia: Resources provide +1 Production, and Horses, Iron and Uranium deposits are
doubled.

Wont that mean they are more powerful when it comes to units of that type? And thus when it comes to waging war, they can produce more units of the special type?

I know Japan gets the bonus that their units always fight as with full strength, but they are still subject to 1 resource per unit that require that resource.

According to the manual Catherine of Russia is having a quite nifty trait.

Unique Trait
Mother Russia: Resources provide +1 Production, and Horses, Iron and Uranium deposits are
doubled.

Wont that mean they are more powerful when it comes to units of that type? And thus when it comes to waging war, they can produce more units of the special type?

I know Japan gets the bonus that their units always fight as with full strength, but they are still subject to 1 resource per unit that require that resource.

Yeah... I think that is the way their UA works. Because units cost strategic resources now they will be mucho importante. Double the Horses, Iron, and Uranium... hmm... put me in for a Mordor sized army please. :goodjob:

And maybe a lucky Germany civ could crush an unlucky opponent with a Brute army in the first dozen turns...

Russia surely got a nice military trait there, but it's very situational. It really depends on their ressources around and even so, maybe a skilled player can counter their "rush" of swordsmen, horse units or nuclear weapons... if Russia concentrates too heavy on these units as it won't allow them to recruit more units overall, just more (powerful) units of a special type.

But they could use it economical too, trading the extra ressources and using the extra happiness or gold for other purposes :)

Its most useful trait will by far be selling the extra resources to NPC civs for gold to further your empire in many other ways.

The Russians are no doubt on my sort list of civs to play. Probably 2nd behind the French.

I have a feeling Russia will be the perfect civ for noobs like me, since the ability ensures that you will be able to compensate for poor choices of location. :)

It was posted in the 2K forums that even tho Russia do get this bonus in their trait, it will also hurt them twice as much if they lose that resource. Units that rely on resources that are lacking have a 50% penalty to combat.

So a viable strategy would be to aim for Russias resources to weaken them.

Not sure what will happen if they are trading the extra resource. Will that trade agrement end, and thus hurting them as well, or will the units fight at -50%?

Oh crap I completely misread that

double the amount of a resource is disgusting, holy crap Russia is going to pound faces

The manual says double. So if you get 1 they get 2. if you get 2 they get 4.

GAH. you edited your post after I quoted it. Dang, you're fast :)

Its very odd that Russia was aloud to keep double resources on 3 different types, yet Arabia lost double oil.

Also compared to the garbage German or Ottoman UA's are that essentially are worthless by the Medieval Age, its almost game breakingly enormous.

So a viable strategy would be to aim for Russias resources to weaken them.

I love it. Hit em where it hurts. Either they will have to delete the units, suicide them, or incur decent loss of gold. Means protecting valuable resources will be a must for them if not the enemy can just pillage the improvement in the time it takes to get in there. Rebuilding improvements takes a few turns to happen once you can get a worker there too. I suppose this is true with ALL civs but Russia will get hit 2x as hard by the impact.

If they have double horses i'm sure they'll have little trouble sending out riders to kill lone raiders trying to destroy mines.

Also compared to the garbage German or Ottoman UA's are that essentially are worthless by the Medieval Age, its almost game breakingly enormous.

Think they are balancing civs as a whole. The German UA isn't as good as some but it gets Panzers which whip most of the unique units.

Russia has no strong UU and it costs upkeep to field units. So they can go for quantity to deal with the flow of strong UUs from others over the ages, but need a strong econ to field that quantity.

Seemingly strong trait but it'll require some effort to fully utilize it.

I think that Russia could be killer with double resources( double army :D) and with Krepost, military academy and so on, they could have both, the biggest, the strongest and probably, the most advanced army.

Why is everybody trashing the German UA though ? Do keep in mind that barbarians evolve in technology at the same rate as the most developed civ in the world.
You won't always get a brute from attacking a barb encampment, you could very well get a rifleman.

And judging by how unpopulated the map in Greg's playthrough was as late as the 1500's it'll probably be a solid UA for much of the game as long as you have a few dedicated barb hunter units running around.

But Germany doesn't get it's special ability unless it invades Barbarian encampments..

So what ?

Russia won't get it unless it builds a huge army, England won't get it unless it builds a big navy and so on.
It's a UA relating to sacking barbarian encampments, of course sacking them is necessary ?

Germany's and Ottoman's UA depends entirely on Barbarians, while common early on, once their gone you effectively have no UA, considering Germany (don't know about Otto) doesn't even have a UB, if your past the age of you UU's your essentially playing Generic-Civ-With-No-Bonuses vs the better civ's like Russia, America, Rome, this is a crippling problem.

Top Bottom