1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Russia pantheon

Discussion in 'Strategy Section' started by andersw, Sep 23, 2020.

1. andersw

andersw Emperor

Do you always go god of expanse with the intent of wide Russia play?
    What would make you choose a different pantheon?
    God of expanse is a lot of early hammers, in particular with authority Russia, getting 2x border pop with imperium on newly settled cities.

I had a start with far more camps than usual (moved three turns/tiles for a delayed start to get where I settled)
    I'm normally not a big fan of tile improvement pantheons due to the time it takes to hook them up, but this looks very very tempting for goddess of the hunt.
    However, each camp is 10 turns to improve on epic speed, that will take quite some time to get things rolling.
    and with this terrain I guess renewal is also a decent alternative...

Spoiler :

upload_2020-9-23_16-52-4.png

2. andersw

andersw Emperor

I tested goddess of the hunt.
    At 120 turns after founding, with some rather greedy expands, and 8 cities up.
    I have 15 camps which means the pantheon provides roughly 2 culture,faith and food/city as an average.
    The current 15 culture/turn is about 25% of my total culture (58) which is quite a lot, that doesnt include yields from kills.
    The faith (and early shrines) was enough for me to found first (no india, montezuma, byzantium or spain).

Another 10 camps incoming in the future (need tile improvements and border exp ).
    That means full yields will be about 3 food, culture, faith/city on average question is how long that takes.

I didnt really factor in the extra food from hunt, cities are growing quite a lot before fealty without granary, this adds some production.
    I can see the science and hammer boost from expanse be very useful for an early spear rush or if you get hammered by early dows but with a more peaceful early game I guess alternatives are valid.
    Problem is how to see that when you choose pantheon, things could turn around very fast and even with peaceful you have the hammers for infrastructure from expanse.

Early hammers are great, is it worth trading for culture ... Im not sure.
    The culture also provide more border expand (which is hammers and gold for authority).

Nightmare Dusk and CrazyG like this.
  3. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

I think it depends on what your plans were.

If you intend to go for a very early military (like rushing horsemen), I'd take expanse. It's nice because it is a low effort pantheon.

If you want to expand peacefully for the first hundred turns or so, before making wars, then camp or renwal are good options. Russia has a weakness of no extra culture so they complement her toolkit nicely.

Generally I'd say yes. Culture is important, and as authority you have strong production.

andersw likes this.
  4. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Expanse may not be a great one if you are in heavy forested areas, as that tends to slow border growth.

5. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

Wait, why?

Either way, there won't be that many camps in the next version unless you start in tundra. Enjoy this while you can ;)

6. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

I think that your next tile costs a certain amount of culture to grow to, regardless of what the tile is.

Nightmare Dusk likes this.
  7. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

8. BliTTzZ

BliTTzZ Warlord

Can please someone remember what bonuses in the game increase border growth? Wanted to try ultimate border blob Russia strategy.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  9. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

10. chicorbeef

chicorbeef Emperor

There's also Fealty's Burghers policy.

Nightmare Dusk likes this.
  11. BliTTzZ

BliTTzZ Warlord

Also Cathedrals. My apologies, I meant not only growth bonuses, but also bonus resources from border growth.

12. LifeOfBrian

LifeOfBrian King

Blittzz, if you're talking about bonuses from border growth, then you also have Authority's first policy on the left and Autocracy's Lebensraum tenet.

13. BliTTzZ

BliTTzZ Warlord

Brian, thank you. Is there anything else? It seems like it's going to be warmongering Russia. :D

14. Nightmare Dusk

Nightmare Dusk Chieftain

Personally i would always take god of expanse as Russia, because it scales into late game better, especially if you continue to found cities mid game, since it increases border growth by 25% faster, proccing your science increase, which does scale, more often. Granted i don't think I've had a game where I've started near 15 camps

15. LifeOfBrian

LifeOfBrian King

Blitz, the good thing about warmongering Russia is that you can use GGs for citadels to trigger the bonuses to tile expansion (at least from Authority) and once you've taken Lebensraum, 3-4 GGs will give you enough space so that you can take most of the tiles from your neighbour, plus the bonuses to strategic resoruces mean that you'll very quickly get combat bonuses from strategic monopolies, starting with horses and iron. Make US(SR) great again! :crazyeye::scan::king:

16. BliTTzZ

BliTTzZ Warlord

Right now I've already got bonuses from Tradition, Authority and Fealty, also God of the Expanse and Angkor Wat. Plus Cathedrals. Every turn I have 1-2 border growths in my 7 cities, it's crazy.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    LifeOfBrian likes this.
  17. LifeOfBrian

LifeOfBrian King

One more thing, Blitz - if you found and can grab Veneration follower belief, that will be good because 10% of faith purchases goes to culture, which can boost your border growth additionally.

18. BliTTzZ

BliTTzZ Warlord

It's nice, but I'd rather have To the Glory of God since my Autrority/Tradition won't be complete. It allows more policy mixing.

EDIT:

I thought tiles don't provide bonus yields from citadels or if bought with gold, only naturally.
    US(SR) is great again! With my 75 uranium I'm world policeman now, hehe.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    LifeOfBrian likes this.
  19. black213

black213 Emperor

Why not have Veneration and TTGOG? One's a follower belief and the other's a reform belief. And you'll get culture from the GP buys too.

BliTTzZ and LifeOfBrian like this.
  20. BliTTzZ

BliTTzZ Warlord

That's an interesting idea! To be honest I just forgot it's a follower belief and didn't pay attention to what Brian said. But really I don't think it will be of much use since frequent faith purchases will be later in the game. By that time my cities will almost have their borders expanded. And also culture per turn will be much greater and bonuses from Veneration won't matter much.