1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Russia pantheon

Discussion in 'Strategy Section' started by andersw, Sep 23, 2020.

1. andersw

andersw King

Do you always go god of expanse with the intent of wide Russia play?
    What would make you choose a different pantheon?
    God of expanse is a lot of early hammers, in particular with authority Russia, getting 2x border pop with imperium on newly settled cities.

I had a start with far more camps than usual (moved three turns/tiles for a delayed start to get where I settled)
    I'm normally not a big fan of tile improvement pantheons due to the time it takes to hook them up, but this looks very very tempting for goddess of the hunt.
    However, each camp is 10 turns to improve on epic speed, that will take quite some time to get things rolling.
    and with this terrain I guess renewal is also a decent alternative...

Spoiler :

upload_2020-9-23_16-52-4.png

2. andersw

andersw King

I tested goddess of the hunt.
    At 120 turns after founding, with some rather greedy expands, and 8 cities up.
    I have 15 camps which means the pantheon provides roughly 2 culture,faith and food/city as an average.
    The current 15 culture/turn is about 25% of my total culture (58) which is quite a lot, that doesnt include yields from kills.
    The faith (and early shrines) was enough for me to found first (no india, montezuma, byzantium or spain).

Another 10 camps incoming in the future (need tile improvements and border exp ).
    That means full yields will be about 3 food, culture, faith/city on average question is how long that takes.

I didnt really factor in the extra food from hunt, cities are growing quite a lot before fealty without granary, this adds some production.
    I can see the science and hammer boost from expanse be very useful for an early spear rush or if you get hammered by early dows but with a more peaceful early game I guess alternatives are valid.
    Problem is how to see that when you choose pantheon, things could turn around very fast and even with peaceful you have the hammers for infrastructure from expanse.

Early hammers are great, is it worth trading for culture ... Im not sure.
    The culture also provide more border expand (which is hammers and gold for authority).

CrazyG likes this.
  3. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

I think it depends on what your plans were.

If you intend to go for a very early military (like rushing horsemen), I'd take expanse. It's nice because it is a low effort pantheon.

If you want to expand peacefully for the first hundred turns or so, before making wars, then camp or renwal are good options. Russia has a weakness of no extra culture so they complement her toolkit nicely.

Generally I'd say yes. Culture is important, and as authority you have strong production.

andersw likes this.
  4. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Expanse may not be a great one if you are in heavy forested areas, as that tends to slow border growth.

5. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

Wait, why?

Either way, there won't be that many camps in the next version unless you start in tundra. Enjoy this while you can ;)

6. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

I think that your next tile costs a certain amount of culture to grow to, regardless of what the tile is.

7. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity