Russia...

GamerDad

Chieftain
Last night I tried Russia for the first time and was pleasantly shocked at the results I encountered. Previously I had always assumed Russia was a "jack of all trades. master of none" civilization that would easily be swept away by stronger, specializing civs. That was not the case at all, however, and in fact what I discovered was the exact opposite. Russia can be a powerful, powerful player in any game, and can win with any type of victory. Let's briefly look at their bonuses and show you why.

1. Russia begins with more of the map visible. This is a huge early game bonus and its value can easily be overlooked. Knowing which direction to send your first few Warriors can save an enormous amount of turns and allow Russia to be the first to artifacts and barbarian gold. Alternatively, if you're going for domination, you might find an enemy capitol very close and be able to take them out while they're still out wandering around searching for huts. This also provides you with an outstanding means to scout your own future city sites ahead of time.

2. +1 Food from Plains (ANCIENT) is a nice trait if you're around plains. Having your cities grow faster is always a good thing, no matter what kind of victory you are going for. If you have plains close, go for it, but it's not worth wasting several turns wandering around looking for some.

3. Defensive units receive the Loyalty upgrade (MEDIEVAL). Ah, the bread and butter of Russia. This single bonus is the key to any victory Russia wishes to pursue, and I'd argue that it could be considered the best bonus of any civilization. If you can hold off an early war you may not have to buy any defensive units until the Medieval Era and that is the goal. Couple this bonus with a Barracks (and/or Great Leader) and you are in business! Even without the Great Leader, the Loyalty upgrade will allow you to hold all of your cities with a single army. Back them up with one catapult army each for skirmish defending and nothing will touch you. The ones that DO get to attack will just slowly level up your defenders even more. And therein lies the beauty of what this bonus allows: with only one army defending each city, you then focus on whatever you like. Go research and tech yourself to a win. Go money and push towards the World Bank. Build armies with all of the money & production you are saving and wage war with the world. Or sit at home, relax and watch your borders expand as you spread your culture across the globe. It is amazing what you can do when you don't have to worry about losing your cities or spending time and resources replacing defenders. Russia's balance allows them to hang close to specialized civs in the economic, tech and cultural arenas. Sit back for a bit and then decide which one to go after and hit it hard. What will likely then happen is the AI civ going for the win will have slow down and throw the kitchen sink at you to try and stop you... but they can't, and you'll overtake them, and eventually win.

4. Half-priced Rifleman (INDUSTRIAL) and half-priced Spies (MODERN) are Russia's final two bonuses and each can be useful in a number of ways. The Rifleman just make it even easier to defend yourself if for some reason the attackers are overwhelming, but they can also be used as a cheap offensive fighting force. The Spies can help you steal GP if you're going for a culture win or knock down fortifications to enhance your military domination, or even just knock down buildings to slow down a rival civilization's economy or research.

All in all, Russia IS a jack of all trades. But in this case, being "master of none" is a good thing. Russia is the most flexible civilization in the game and allows the player to decide later in the game which direction they will go. If you haven't yet experienced them, give them a chance, I'm sure you'll enjoy the results.

Well said. I agree with you. However, I think you should look for plains when settling a city as the russians. If you have irrigation and a granary in a russian city with three plains (not uncommon) will have more than 15 food per turn in that city. It will grow to a cultural power house. And that is what I think is the strength of Russia. They are great for cultural victories, although not having the "half cost wonder"/"more great people" traits that the Romans and Egyptians of this world has. The half cost spies are supporting this in the modern era, since you can steal GPs quite easily.

I've said this in several posts and had many persons claiming that Russia still is a bad civilization. I'm happy to hear that I'm not alone really liking the Russians.

Two interesting threads where Russia, amongst other Civs have been discussed.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=294563
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=282247

I keep hearing Morte saying that the English and Greeks are better defenders. I disagree with that. The thing about the Russians, is that their bonus carries on past Archers, while the English bonus doesn't. So don't compare English Longbows to Russian Loyalty Archers. Compare Pikeman vs Pikeman, and you'll see who is the best defender through out the game.

I realy like Russia too, it can win many victory types. It is fun when you are playing just to build a strong empire and not have the goal just to be to win a specific victory type, for which you would used a specailised civ such as culutre as France, domination as Arabia, economic as the Zulu, ect. ect.

Had another fantastic game with Russia last night on Emperor setting. I took out Gandhi in the first 10 turns and was left sharing the world with England, the Mongols and the Aztecs. Unfortunately, London was VERY close to me and despite my best efforts for a culture win (having the Great Wall early via an artifact, thanks to Russia's expanded map view, was a big help) England widened the gap and maintained a culture lead throughout. Toward the end game England's borders slowly started creeping in on me and this is where the versatility of the Russians helped me to succeed. I quickly switched to Democracy and went all out gold production. Mind you, I played the entire game with only three cities: capitol on production, coastal city on science and island city on gold. I flipped an Aztec city just before hitting 20,000 gold but that never really provided much to my overall economy. By that time, I was in a race, being pounded on by three other civilizations but holding them back with single stacks of loyalty-bonused riflemen. Must have been nice to be England and calmly build the United Nations without anyone even bothering you... but alas, they still failed. My guess is that my World Bank built their United Nations by only a couple of turns at most (since they started their wonder before I started mine). But the point is, I finished first. And this was ONLY possible because of my combined Russian bonuses. The map view, loyalty bonus and half-cost rifleman led me to the victory of my choice.

Russia is hands down the best civilization to use. Any victory is possible. You can change on the fly to accomodate for whatever civs you end up facing. Try it!

Interesting discussion. I play Civ Rev in spurts of free time. In the summer, I had time and I won as every civilization on the level one down from Deity. Can't remember the name of it right now.

This week, I decided to try winning as all of them on Deity. I won with four civs. Then I got to Russia. I have now tried to win on Deity as Russia five times without success. I have tried every victory type, depending on the situation I see in front of me.

If I go for Economic win, someone flips my uncultured cities.

If I go for Culture win, someone beats me to it.

If I go for Tech win, someone flips my cities.

If I go for Domination win, well.... that's more of a I'm-gonna-win-anyway type win, and I'm never winning.

I suspect I am not taking advantage of the Loyalty bonus. And that I need to be more aggressive in going after other people's cities. Problem is, when I have taken enemy cities, I can't hold them because I'm behind in tech and/or culture.

I'm ready to give up.

Every game.... there is either a culture juggernaut nearby flipping my cities, or there is a culture juggernaut overseas that I can't get to easily and who is turning out Great People every two turns by 1900 and coasting to a Culture win.

Maybe I need to take a more aggressive earlier approach? Like I do with Aztecs and Mongols ... build a Library, spit out some troops, tech up quick and go kick some butt?

Follow up.... I did it! Won as Russia on Deity, finally.

It's the synergy that makes the game fun.... that's what did it. I managed to get the ball rolling with just enough money, tech, then spat out Great People and had them finish Wonders.

I don't remember the details. I was up all night playing and I am exhausted!

GamerDad said that Russia is a jack-of-all-trades and no-trades. I think that's why I struggles so much with them. With a civ like the Zulus, you know pretty much what you're gonna try to do once the game starts. But with Russia, I ended up playing half the game or more with no clear direction on which type of victory I was going for .... not a good way to win on Deity.

Follow up.... I did it! Won as Russia on Deity, finally.

It's the synergy that makes the game fun.... that's what did it. I managed to get the ball rolling with just enough money, tech, then spat out Great People and had them finish Wonders.

I don't remember the details. I was up all night playing and I am exhausted!

GamerDad said that Russia is a jack-of-all-trades and no-trades. I think that's why I struggles so much with them. With a civ like the Zulus, you know pretty much what you're gonna try to do once the game starts. But with Russia, I ended up playing half the game or more with no clear direction on which type of victory I was going for .... not a good way to win on Deity.

the problem is, you CAN have a clear goal form the beginning, you should. But Russia's flexiblitiy allows a 180 spin to go for another win.

Top Bottom