Russian 101

I completely understood how hard it must be to learn Russian after we had to learn some Latin in the uni.

Я хочу знат когда я могу сказаю "постла мы ели, умерают." Потому что, Я обычно сказаю "Постла мы ели, ОНА умерают."
I don't get it either. Can you say what you want to say in English?

I don't get it either. Can you say what you want to say in English?

I meant to say

Я хочу знат когда я могу сказаю "постла мы ели, умерают." Потому что, Я обычно сказаю "после мы ели, ОНИ умерают."

That was meant to translate into

I want to know when I can say "after we eat, they (pronoun not included) die." Because, I usually said "after we ate, THEY die."

I want to know when I can say "after we eat, they (pronoun not included) die." Because, I usually said "after we ate, THEY die."
I would translate the first one as

После того как мы поедим, они умрут (if you mean this to be a single event in the nearest future)
or
После того как мы едим, они умирают (if you mean that it keeps happening in the present)

The second one would be
После того как мы поели, они умерли (a single event in the past).

I assume you don't mean 'they die' as a result of 'we eat', but if you do, replace 'после того как' by 'от того что'.

You should always use the pronoun 'они' (they) in cases like these.

...я могу сказаю... ...Я обычно сказаю...
BTW, don't try to use "perfect" verbs such as 'сказать' (=to have said), сделать (=to have done), etc. in the preset tense, they don't have one. The modal forms with 'могу' (=I can), 'хочу' (=I want), etc. are OK, but they must be followed by an infinitive.

Я могу сказать = I can say
Я обычно говорю = I usually say

The most fascinating thing about Russian in my opinion is that one can legitimately answer "да нет..." to yes/no question.

:D

On the other hand, it is arguably world's easiest language, because all nouns and verbs can be substituted with about dozen core roots :mischief:, while keeping everything meaningful.

The most fascinating thing about Russian in my opinion is that one can legitimately answer "да нет..." to yes/no question.

:D
Or even "да нет, наверное" (yes no, probably) - which actually means "no"
On the other hand, it is arguably world's easiest language, because all nouns and verbs can be substituted with about dozen core roots :mischief:, while keeping everything meaningful.

Read this: different forms of verb "to run" in the world's easiest language :)
http://www.russianlessons.net/verbs/verbs.php?verb=30

it is arguably world's easiest language, because all nouns and verbs can be substituted with about dozen core roots :mischief:
Where did you get 12? I can think of only 3, well, maybe there are 3-4 more, but they are less productive...

I suggest a linguistic game. You take 3 most common Russian roots and the full lists of Russian prefixes and suffixes (it's like 40 or 50 each), construct a word out of one of the roots plus 1-3 prefixes/suffixes, then try to guess its meaning.

что случилось здесь?

Черт его знает! моя учеба была задержана, поэтому у меня еще нет вопросов. виноват.

Spoiler :
The devil knows! My studies were delayed, so I have no questions yet. Sorry.

Черт его знает!
Чёрт его знает! :)
Но уж Катю, словно песню, из груди брат не известь! - Черноглазая Kазачка
Хорошая песня. Послушай эту, она может тебе тоже понравиться.
Good song. Listen to this one, you might like it too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6rVGyAlUd8

Чёрт его знает! :)

моя ошибка.

Хорошая песня. Послушай эту, она может тебе тоже понравиться.
Good song. Listen to this one, you might like it too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6rVGyAlUd8

спасибо иля это отличная песня! мы говорили о это уже в частном. украинский язык звучит чтудесый.

у меня есть аругой бопрос. как я говорю " What can I do for you?" в русске?

Spoiler :
My mistake.

Thank you for that excellent song! We spoke about this already in private. The Ukrainian language sounds wonderful.

I have another question. How do I say "what can I do for you?" in Russian?

спасибо иля это отличная песня! мы говорили о это уже в частном. украинский язык звучит чтудесый.
Эта песня на русском языке. На украинском была другая, "Розпрягайте хлопцы коней". Кубанский казачий хор поёт и на русском и на украинском языке, они похожи.

This song is in Russian language. In Ukrainian was another one, "Rozpryagaite hloptsy koney". Cuban cossack chorus sings on both Russian and Ukrainian languages, they are similar to each other.

у меня есть аругой бопрос. как я говорю " What can I do for you?" в русске?
Зависит от контекста. Есть несколько вариантов. (Depends on context. There are several variants.)
- Что я могу для вас сделать? (Literal translation, sounds a bit weird, but understandable)
- Чем я могу вам помочь? (How can I help you?)
- Вам помочь? (Can I help you?)

If you give me full phrase (or context), I can translate it better.

I'm actually a native speaker (born in St. Petersburg), but I have horrendous grammar skills. Hell, I can barely name all the cases. But my reading comprehension and vocabulary aren't that bad.

The language, for me, has lost it's beauty. I guess it gets old after 17 years. :lol:

привет всем!

я знаю так это обсуждение начало много лет назад, но я хотел бы начаю опять. с надеждой мы сможем воскрешать оно, и мы узнаем лучше по-русски!

Spoiler :
Hello all!

I know that this discussion was begun many years ago, but I would like to begin again. Hopefully, we can revive it, and we can learn better Russian!

Top Bottom