Russian 1700 AD Space Race guide?

What should I do to prevent my economy from dying and what UHV's do I get?

What I've done so far is filling my core with cottages unless there's green grass (farms), hills (mines) or resources, and building wealth in my cities until I'm economically steady, and use Engineers to build my Wonders.

I'd also like to know how'd you win an UHV since you have to spawn at least ten Great Statesmen, and if you should invade anyone with your starting army. For some reason countries have become more likely to adopt Central Planning in the latest updates.

Not sure how I'm doing compared to you but I think I'm teching just fine, behind the europeans but catching up. Teching Doctrine early and trading it seems to work well for all euro civs. I got 3 other techs from 3 civs for it this game.
Rushing wonders with engineers seems like a waste, you have good production. I prefer getting their building , a golden age or settling them especially because there are many turns to go. I prefer cottages or lumbermills over farms even though I run the civics that boost farms. I build just enough farms to work all tiles. Hills I mine, except in Moscow where I rather cottage, it has enough production.
I don't think it's worth it to invade anyone with starting army but I did send my Lancers over to Mongol Samarkand after defeating the Mongol invasion. It got me a good city with resources and a better peace deal. There were only a few crossbows defending it.
The third UHV I can't help with, I have never completed it. I don't like using central planning or espionage much. I remember in my previous game as Russia I got to the modern era and was super powerful but I got bored pressing end turn.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    455.7 KB · Views: 212
I said 1700 AD scenario. That means we skip the Middle Ages and anything it has (Foundation, Mongols, etc).

My bad.
I just looked at the 1700ad scenario.
Turkestan seems easy prey. I would go after them first in this one too, take Bukhara and raze Khiva.
The way cities are placed in this scenario is awkward to say the least.
Sweden will accept Astrachan, giving it to them may be right. All the good tiles that city has can be worked by others. Should be easy to destroy it later either by culture or force. I want to get rid of Obdorsk even more but don't see a way.

Top Bottom