1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Russian Review

Discussion in 'CivRev - Strategy & Tips' started by thedood123, Jul 20, 2008.

1. thedood123

thedood123 Destroyer

Ok I going going to review the Russians by Bonuses

Starting: Russians begin with more of the map visible- Can be very handy If you find some artifacts and some barbian camps.

Ancient: +1 food from plains- This is what makes the Russians unique this is a very huge bonus and gives a lot of food if near plains...If not near plains it is useless

Medieval: Defensive units receive the Loyalty upgrade- Good if you want defense and trying to build up your base and keep alive

Industrial: Half-price Riflemen- Not that great but good if you want to mass rifleman

Modern: Half-price Spies- I dont see much point in getting spies late in game not very handy at all

Overall I give the Russians a 1-Sucks or 10-Perfect I give a 7.5/10

2. civoholic

civoholic Chieftain

Your taking my schtick of reviewing my civs, everyone's taking my threads!
    One other person took my worst civ thread too

3. thedood123

thedood123 Destroyer

I will remove the thread if youd like ;{

4. civoholic

civoholic Chieftain

No, you don't have to do THAT, but don't do the review thing like i do

i'll be posting a review, probubly of the indians, tommorow

5. thedood123

thedood123 Destroyer

Im making a unit review instead

6. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

But then who's going to review the buildings?? :rolleyes:

7. thedood123

thedood123 Destroyer

I am not sure but look at my unit review 1/20

8. KAZUY4

KAZUY4 Chieftain

and you took mine ;)

9. goofyballer

goofyballer Chieftain

I'm not sure how you arrive at 7.5/10 when none of the bonuses are particularly helpful.

Starting w/ a map: Not bad, shows a couple barbarian camps right away so you can direct your warriors to them and get quicker gold, but not a huge impact.

+1 food from plains: Pre-granaries, it's practically useless because it just turns plains into grasslands, which any civ could do by planning city locations better. Post-granaries cities near plains will grow really fast though which is helpful. Definitely the best Russian bonus imo (but even that isn't saying a lot).

Free loyalty: Meh, not bad but it's not like the AI ever does a great job of pressuring your cities' defenses anyway.

1/2 cost riflemen: Saving 10 resources on a unit that you'll only be producing for a shortish amount of time is near-worthless

1/2 cost spies: Saving 12 resources on a unit that you can probably rush just as well when you need any of them is near-worthless

I give them like 2.5/10.