Ryika vs Lemon Merchant

Status
Not open for further replies.

ori

Repair Guy
Retired Moderator
Ryika is appealing the below warning and is fine with posting the conversation as quoted below.

I wish to appeal an Infraction what was issued by Lemon Merchant against me for this now deleted post.

Particularly this phrase, as I understand it:

I watched it, and now I'm horny. Was that the intended result?

When I asked her which rule I broke, she linked this one:

Inappropriate content
This is a family-friendly forum. We do not want, for example, people coming here to talk about Civ and being exposed to (in particular) sexual content. While we tolerate some discussion of adult issues, we do not permit discussions that are explicit...

I believe that post does not break the rules at all, neither this rule, nor any other rule. First of all, the rule itself states that some discussion on adult issues is tolerated, as long as discussions do not become explicit. I believe there was nothing even remotely "explicit" in my post, and I think it is pretty obvious that I was not trying to start a conversation about sexual content, but instead responded to that video the way I did to show Lexicus that I do not buy into his claims of racism and attempts at emotional manipulation from his previous posts.

Then, if I enter the phrase "horny" into the forum search, it returns a ton of results, most of which are not describing Viking Helmets, but are instead describing people being horny - sexually aroused. While I could not find any cases of people stating that they themselves are horny at first glance, I cannot see a difference between that statement and saying that "<someone> is/was horny", which has been used quite a few time on the forums, even outside of the OT forums, where the rules are enforced more strictly.

Of particular interest is also this part of a thread from less than a year ago, that is fragmented over the next 7-9 pages and has people discussing a woman who is "horny" and throwing herself onto her boyfriend. I, multiple moderators and an admin are active in that thread while the issue is being discussed, a moderator action is being made about rape humor (obviously) not being allowed on this site, but there is not a single infraction or warning for that discussion or the use of the phrase "I'm horny". This clearly suggests to me that mentioning or discussing the state of "being horny" is not against the rules, as do all the other results from the search queue mentioned above.

More generally, I also don't see the harm that the phrase could possibly do. It is obvious that a child-friendly forum should be kept clean of actual sexual content, including texts that describe sexual experiences in ways that could confuse or potentially emotionally damage a child that is not yet developed enough to understand sexuality, but my 2.5(!)-word-phrase does none of that. It describes, extremely vaguely, my emotional state, and nothing more than that. When a kid asks why their cat is rubbing herself against his leg and the mother answers that "she's in heat", then that's already 10 times more detailed than my post.

With all of that in mind, I cannot see a.) how my post could be understood to be "explicit" or so out-of-the-ordinary that it would fall under the rule that Lemon Merchant named, and b.) how I could be expected to know that my post was not okay, given the general usage of that phrase all over this board, and that discussion that I was involved in earlier. The precedent that I see when I search the forums is clearly that it is okay to say that a person is horny.

Hence, I think the way Lemon Merchant is interpreting that forum rule is completely unreasonable and out-of-line with how that sort of stuff has been handled in general, and that the infraction should be removed. There was no malicious intent, no rule was violated, and no harm was done.

Unrelated to the infraction review, I would also like to know how long my current ban will last. I already asked LM, but she did not know the answer to that question.

their conversation to date:

Which rule does that supposedly break?

Also, this infraction has clearly caused a ban, how long does it last?

From the rule book here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/cfc-full-rules.422889/

Inappropriate content
This is a family-friendly forum. We do not want, for example, people coming here to talk about Civ and being exposed to (in particular) sexual content. While we tolerate some discussion of adult issues, we do not permit discussions that are explicit...

As for the length of your ban, it's either three days or a week. I will have to check and get back to you as I can't remember.
You're joking, right? "I'm horny" is sexual content?

What about all of these posts?

https://forums.civfanatics.com/search/32687885/?q=horny&o=date

And the post you quoted, literally reads "While we tolerate some discussion of adult issues, >>>>>> we do not permit discussions that are explicit <<<<<< ..."

There was nothing even vaguely explicit about my post.

If you feel I'm being harsh, or unfair, you are welcome to appeal to a supermod or administrator.

Rob (R8XFT)

Ancient Briton
Retired Moderator
To put this into context, as I understand it, there was a whipping scene from Roots, which Ryika talked about being horny having watched it. That, for me, is not in line with being a family-friendly forum.

It's not that the use of the words is sexual content, it's sexual context. It's a response that didn't need to be there.

I vote to uphold the decision.

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Saw this in the reported post forum and, after watching the video, thought Ryika was turned on by the slave being beaten, certainly not appropriate for the forum.

Doesn't matter how many times a word is used in the forums, it is all about how it is used and what does it mean?

Agree with Rob and vote to uphold.

Bootstoots

Deity
Retired Moderator
Uphold. "Horny" can be used in some contexts, but claiming to have gotten horny from watching a slave being whipped repeatedly is decidedly not one of those contexts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom