S E V E N Earth like planets orbiting o n e star.

How long before a new sci fi book is out based on that very theme? It's almost Beyond Earth. ;)

This sounds like something that cannot happen without Intelligence moving planets
Interesting though, Exploration is a long way off. Iam cautious about sending probes due to learning about the dark forest theory

It's 40 light years away, guys. Don't grab the tourism or exploration brochures quite yet. This discovery more so has implications for the new telescope being launched next year. We'll be able to figure out the atmospheres of these planets and possibly get a ballpark estimate on whether or not they can support life*.

* As we understand it.

Not very much needs to go correctly in order to still be alive when the probes send signals back. But some things do

Even by our fastest probes, it would like nearly 1 million years to get to the star. We need to invent a warp drive or a hyperspace jumpgate. That is the only way humans are going to actually feasibly explore the cosmos.

How long before a new sci fi book is out based on that very theme? It's almost Beyond Earth. ;)

Its highly suspicious certainly. The odds against 7 planets in a habitable zone...interesting to see when they figure out the atmospheres. If they are all kinda the same, then that's it. I wonder if they would tell us they are all the same? Yup, I'm looking forward to a book. Not waiting for a crappy movie this go round.

This sounds like something that cannot happen without Intelligence moving planets
Interesting though, Exploration is a long way off. Iam cautious about sending probes due to learning about the dark forest theory

The distance itself is protection, unless they have ftl. The US might think its not wise to go because of dark forest but someone will go, and then all will go. Lots of countries could likely do this within the next century. China, Russia, Germany and Japan along with the US which could start building almost immediately. Forty light years. So if we build an atomic bomb powered colony that can travel 1/4 light, then, with getting going and slowing down, maybe 200 years? 250? So at 20 year intervals per generation that's 10-13 generations. We would hear back 40 years after that, using lasers. So, less than 300 years! I can't wait!

It's 40 light years away, guys. Don't grab the tourism or exploration brochures quite yet. This discovery more so has implications for the new telescope being launched next year. We'll be able to figure out the atmospheres of these planets and possibly get a ballpark estimate on whether or not they can support life*.

* As we understand it.

Yes, and what if all seven have comparable atmospheres?

Not very much needs to go correctly in order to still be alive when the probes send signals back. But some things do

Yah, life extension has to go right, or reincarnation.

Even by our fastest probes, it would like nearly 1 million years to get to the star. We need to invent a warp drive or a hyperspace jumpgate. That is the only way humans are going to actually feasibly explore the cosmos.

An colony ship ejecting nuclear bombs can achieve a portion of light, but I forget the details. The slower the longer it takes, that's all. The ship would have to be able to feed itself with grow lights and hydroponics... The Earth has managed the trick without technology, unless we've had help.

Last edited:
An colony ship ejecting nuclear bombs can achieve a portion of light, but I forget the details. The slower the longer it takes, that's all. The ship would have to be able to feed itself with grow lights and hydroponics... The Earth has managed the trick without technology, unless we've had help.

Even at a fraction of the speed of light, you'd need strong magnetic shields or space dust will pwn you.

I leave on Monday. What should I bring though? Hard to say when I don't know the weather there.

Seven planets all inhabited by different technological species. Imagine what a messy space opera thematic party would that be. Meamwhile we would be like the nerdy lonely neighbor spying trhough his telescope.

I leave on Monday. What should I bring though? Hard to say when I don't know the weather there.
According to Lucasian Theory, one will be a desert planet, one will be a jungle planet, one will be an arctic planet, one will be a bayou planet, etc.

According to Lucasian Theory, one will be a desert planet, one will be a jungle planet, one will be an arctic planet, one will be a bayou planet, etc.
Arctic pls. I'll be surfing the powder with my tauntaun. I do hope there's a sleazy bar with aliens playing jazz though.

Wait what what what?! 7 Earth sized planets in the same system? Orbiting around the same star? That's insane, how such a coincidence could happen? Is this for real? Am I being trolled? This seems like... is this real?

Top Bottom