Sack City Option

Cowhead

Chieftain
I think there should be a Sack city option added when capturing a city.

This leaves the city under the control of its current Civ, but all tiles/districts within the City borders get pillaged and all buildings in the cities/districts get pillaged/destroyed.

Sacking a city would give a slightly lower Warmonger penalty than you get for razing.

Also there should be an option to Sack and Raze City giving an increased Warmonger penalty.

I think there should be a Sack city option added when capturing a city.

This leaves the city under the control of its current Civ, but all tiles/districts within the City borders get pillaged and all buildings in the cities/districts get pillaged/destroyed.

Sacking a city would give a slightly lower Warmonger penalty than you get for razing.

Also there should be an option to Sack and Raze City giving an increased Warmonger penalty.

Yes, I’ve always wanted an option like this. Good for defensive or short term wars where you don’t necessarily want to conquer cities, but to make gains from raiding and stunt your opponent’s growth. So long as it couldn’t be abused (like you can’t sack a city that hasn’t healed it’s health bar fully), I’d be all for this option.

Sacking a city would give a slightly lower Warmonger penalty than you get for razing
Perhaps more importantly- less warmonger score than capturing and keeping the city! Capturing cities is not a trivial feat from the perspective of game mechanics. In Civ5, we had a certain amount of gold gained from "looting" a city upon capture- is that still present in Civ6? I never check. The prime reason to sack would be if you've captured a city that you can't hold on to- usually for loyalty reasons. I don't want to have a free city spawn more units, then I have to put that down and raze it or capture it again. I'd rather just loot it and leave it crippled for a while. (So you'd want to make sure that after the sack, the repair defenses project gets its timer reset.)

So long as it couldn’t be abused
If we are talking about pillaging every improvement and taking everything else that isn't nailed down, there's a lot of work that goes into repairing all that stuff. Especially the tile improvements. You're just getting a lump sum of gold, maybe some science and culture too depending on how we treat it.
But it would really help get your Viking on if people didn't really hold it against you after the war/raid ends. It's just business, after all...

You can sort of already do this by just pillaging the city instead of capturing it. What I’d like is a way to make the city a free city.

This would be cool if Free cities weren’t only hostile and you could actually have diplomatic relations with them. Possibly creating a city state, kind of like how the Saar was created as a puppet/protectorate between the world wars, maybe with some kind of loyalty mechanic that after X turns, if loyalty didn’t hit 0, it would have strong enough nationalism to be its own city state and get the full benefits of CS loyalty? Or a certain number of turns required at 100 loyalty in a row? Otherwise they have a “referendum” to rejoin a major power.

Top Bottom