Sad Day

Sorry for your loss man, especially this way.

Dogs love us, regardless of our status, relations with other people. They don't care one bit about petty politics. They just want some food sometimes, some play and to be there for the pack. We don't deserve dogs. My dad's dog is one of the major reasons I like going there. We just go out in the backyard and walk around a bit, so he can explore, sniff around, and topple me sometimes so it can lie on me. It's a feeling that can't really be replaced.

I hope you're doing ok. It's tough to lose.

Animal Control contacted us for a statement. The pit bull has been impounded and put down. I assume but do not know that the owner is facing fines and other monetary charges.

I must admit to ambivalence. It was a friendly dog, but dangerous because of his size and power.

Condolences. :(

Pit bulls are dangerous dogs

Therefore it is I believe illegal to buy or sell pit bulls in the UK.

Here is an old link.

- Legal Aspects of Owning a Dog in the UK (shawpitbullrescue.com)

which gives some more detail.
Any dog can be dangerous if mistreated or abandoned.

I'm in favor of higher penalties for animal abuse/neglect. Honestly it should be as high as for humans (because anyone who will abuse an animal will likely abuse a human, especially a vulnerable one.

Condolences. :(

Any dog can be dangerous if mistreated or abandoned. I'm in favor of higher penalties for animal abuse/neglect. Honestly it should be as high as for humans (because anyone who will abuse an animal will likely abuse a human, especially a vulnerable one.
The dog we lost appeared to be a pedigree, which is unusual for a shelter animal. She was nursing and had kennel cough, so we think she may have been a puppy farm discard. The one before her was a Katrina rescue.

Animal control asked for copies of the vet bills, so something good may happen on that front.

Today happens to be my birthday, so Judith took me to the animal shelter. We picked out a pretty blue-eyed female with a silky white coat and scattered polka dots. She has to be spayed and get her shots, so we can pick her up mid-week. We're going to call her Lady and I'll try to post a pic.

J

Its good that you are able to pick up another animal in need so soon after your old one passed away...

Animals in need are like the poor, always with us.

The big issue is getting one who is reasonably calm, big enough to put outside, and small enough to have in the house. Next, we teach her to play nice with cats.

The dog we lost appeared to be a pedigree, which is unusual for a shelter animal. She was nursing and had kennel cough, so we think she may have been a puppy farm discard. The one before her was a Katrina rescue.

Animal control asked for copies of the vet bills, so something good may happen on that front.

Today happens to be my birthday, so Judith took me to the animal shelter. We picked out a pretty blue-eyed female with a silky white coat and scattered polka dots. She has to be spayed and get her shots, so we can pick her up mid-week. We're going to call her Lady and I'll try to post a pic.

J
Sounds like a cocker spaniel (or Dalmatian if very short haired) based on you calling her coat silky. Congrats on the new dog and happy birthday.

Sounds like a cocker spaniel (or Dalmatian if very short haired) based on you calling her coat silky. Congrats on the new dog and happy birthday.
Thanks.

The fur is right, but the ears are all wrong for a spaniel. We are thinking of a samoyed crossed with a smaller, short-haired breed. The tail is bobbed, so a big identifier is missing. I'll get pics when we pick her up Wednesday.

J

Here is a pic of Laila lunging in the backyard. There is also a picture of Jack, a Jack Russel, our Katrina rescue dog. He was an attack survivor in 2010. He passed of natural causes in 2016.

Attachments

• LlAILA.jpeg
    LlAILA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • Jack.jpg
    Jack.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Your cat may well be the best teacher of how to play nice with felines. :D

We picked up our new dog, Lady. She's a mixed breed, who appears to be part heeler, part terrier, and something with a silky coat. White with subtle red spots, except that one ear is almost fully red. The Shelter spayed her, which caused the delay. I will get pictures once we can take off the Elizabethan (lampshade) collar.

J

Top Bottom