1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Saddam on trial - when, were and for what?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by vonork, Dec 14, 2003.

?

Who must judge Saddam ?

1. The People of Iraq in Baghdad

40 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. The USA in Washington

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. The International Criminal Court in the Hague

21 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. The People of Iraq then confirmed by Washington

6 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. The People of Iraq then confirmed by the Hague

17 vote(s)
    17.5%
  6. He shouldn't be judged

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  7. Don't know

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. Other solutions

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. Simon Darkshade

Simon Darkshade Mysterious City of Gold

And maybe he'll go on Oprah and maybe appear in the 5th Harry Potter film as an extra. :ack: :D
    All maybes aside, his fate is fairly clear.
    By the by, he has been spirited out of Iraq already, as a point of interest.

2. Kentonio

Kentonio Monkey Lord of Civ III

Members of the Iraqi Governing Council said Sunday when they went to see Saddam Hussein they found him "tired and haggard, unrepentant, even defiant."

Four members of the council, who were taken to see Saddam after his capture by U.S. troops, said Saddam insisted to them he was "a just but firm ruler."

Asked about thousands killed and dumped in mass graves, Saddam dismissed his victims saying "they were thieves," said one council member.

"He was not apologetic. He was sarcastic and making a mockery of Iraqi people," said one member of the council.

Hmm, that'll go down well with the home crowds. :hmm:

3. Shadylookin

Shadylookin master debater

my only fear is that by giving him a fair iraqi trail they will support Saddam because of their hate of the USA, not to mention possible attacks against jurors and on the court. personaly i wish they would've just put a bullet in him when they caught him it would solve any trial problems. either that or we have a military tribunal 6:00 trial 6:20 pronounced guility and hanging commenced 6:30 cookies and juice

4. SeleucusNicator

SeleucusNicator Diadoch

The US plans for a non-approved trial of an American citizen by any foreign power are already somewhat public. The Bush administration announced them several years back.

If necesary, US Marines would raid the Hague and rescue any Americans being held there.

5. jroa99

jroa99 Warlord

As long as he's tried in Iraq, there is some sort of serious Iraqi representation at the trial/court, and he's tried mainly for his crimes against the Iraqi people, then I don't really care who actually tries him....

6. Desmond Hawkins

Desmond Hawkins Deity

And this would improve American credibility when it comes to enforcing "terrorism" rules how?

I just cannot fathom why mustard gas is a taboo weapon, but uranium shells, which arguably have far worse long-term damage are not.

How, also, could cluster bombs not be a banned weapon, when they take out innocent civilians years after they are dropped. "rules of war" seem pretty ridiculous altogether, but if that is the case, how can America try others for illegal war techniques, but they themselves be immune. And then expect others to sypathize with them?

7. GenShwartzCough

GenShwartzCough General of the Newbies

I have to say this first. Thank God they caught him alive without a shot fired. But, I think the Iraqi people, not a world court, should be the ones to try, and ultimately convict him. The neat trick will be pulling it off in that country. I won't be surprised if someone offs him before he can be sentenced. But that will be his sentence anyway, so who cares?

8. Smaasnekje

Smaasnekje Should be medicated...

The International Criminal Court in the Hague

fair and square

9. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

I had an instructor in college who was FBI on sabatical. He told of a case he had testified in, which had a Mafia hit man on trial for murder. The FBI had taped statements he had made during the time before his arrest. A judge in Columbia had been shot down infront of his wife and children. The hit man indicated approval, saying that every judge deserved the same treatment. The tape was inadmissible at trial, but was played during the punishment phase.

On the question of the moment, Saddam should be tried with all the other war crimes trials. He should be trreated as an important person, given comfortable quarters, good food etc. The trial and its verdict will be sufficient, anything more is gratuitous.

J

10. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

He really doesn't care any more. He's probably going to say stuff like that until his death.

11. EdwardTking

EdwardTking Deity

I suggest an auction.

Let the (formerly invaded by/oppressed by/unpaid creditors of) Saddam) France, Iranians, Kurds, Kuwaitis or Russians etc bid to try him, all proceeds to buy cuddly toys for Iraqi children.

12. Pontiuth Pilate

Pontiuth Pilate Republican Jesus!

Anyone who won't look at who bought and installed him.

13. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

Here's an interesting fact about that poll :

During day time in Europe and night time in America, here was the results :
    Irak : 12
    the Hague alone : 12
    Irak + the Hague : 10

Now that's it's night time in Europe and day time in America, here are the results :
    Irak : 21
    the Hague alone : 12
    Irak + the Hague : 10

14. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

America might do well to have a carefully engineered trial by the people of Iraq. This would give his condemnation, and hence the war, a greater deal of legitimacy. He should be tried in the Hague only if the Americans have control of the Judges, or are otherwise sure that the case will go their way.

15. Mrogreturns

Mrogreturns The Ghost Who Posts

Ah- already safe in your "special care" suite no doubt. ;)

16. Marla_Singer

Americans should be sure the case will go their way ? Is that your way to define a fair trial giving legitimacy to the war ? Is it only me or does it sound incoherent ? :confused:

17. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Since I am not up on the Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws of Halliburton, I am undecided on whether it should be Halliburton's Board of Directors that get to decide Saddam's fate or whether it must be put to a shareholder's vote.

18. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

Ah, Marla, you're so easily wound up. International criminal trials like this are just shows. Staging them is an exercise in creating the most believable and beneficial possible fiction or fact. Since it is America that has to organize it, I'm just thinking from their perspective. :D

19. Marla_Singer

This is about mixing executive and judiciary powers... we can't do less democratic than that ! It's not at all an american perspective to me... or maybe you're insulting the founding fathers !

Well anyway... I don't care that much actually :rolleyes: Saddam was a bastard anyway.

20. Archer 007

Archer 007 Rebirth

:lol: You do realize that this makes you lose credability. Still a nice laugh, however.