1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Saddleback forum with McCain and Obama

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Holycannoli, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Holycannoli

Holycannoli Deity

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread about it. Am I the only one who watched it?

Anyway, in my opinion McCain easily outdid Obama. It was actually a bit embarassing, and even afterward MSNBC (the Obama channel) had nothing good to say about him except that he now needs to learn how to have an actual stance on issues.

It was two hours long, so if you find anything on youtube it will be short clips and I'm sure very biased views claiming Obama was "set up", totally ignoring the fact that both candidates were asked the same questions...McCain even more since he answered the questions directly and with conviction. The same definitely could not be said about Obama.

This was the first time many people saw McCain and Obama "together" on the same stage talking about the same exact issues. Obama needs to do better when there's no teleprompter that's for sure.

2. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Didn't see it. But it's true that Obama's greatest weakness is that he doesn't have a depth of knowledge on the issues.

3. z_step18

z_step18 Chieftain

I actually thought Obama did better, but I might be bias. I didn't get to watch all of it, but from what I did, McCain seemed to relate everything to the war in Iraq, on how that is going swell, and on how General Petraeus is the man. I thought it was supposed to be a religious debate, and to me, Obama incorporated religion into the forum more than McCain did.

But, the crowd clearly favored McCain.

4. JohnRM

JohnRM Don't make me destroy you

Perhaps McCain sees the Iraq War as a religious war.

5. Princeps

Princeps More bombs than God

Nonsense. McCain only gave speeches, Obama was actually conversational.

6. sonorakitch

sonorakitch Overseas hunter

I thought both did extremely well. A very civil and well moderated debate, with perfect pace and tone.

Obama's screwup of the night was the abortion question...being "above his pay grade".

McCain's screwup of the night was the $5,000,000+ is rich answer.

Both will make excellent campaign commercials.

~Chris

7. Norseone

Norseone Emperor

McCain mopped the floor with obama in my opinion.

8. Holycannoli

Holycannoli Deity

It actually wasn't a religious debate z_step18. I thought it would be too, but while some of the questions were kinda religious in nature, it was more a way to see each candidate's views on social issues.

You really should have seen the whole thing :) The way each one of them answered the questions.

I'll try to find some good youtube link of the both of them without any inserted comments or anything biased, so you can draw your own conclusions.

EDIT: Can't really find a video comparing both of them, so if you want you can watch Obama and then McCain. They're an hour each and broken up into multiple parts. I'll link to part 1 for each.

Obama part 1

McCain part 1

9. GenMarshall

GenMarshall High Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Some of us had to go to school or be up by 6:00am EST for work :p.

An old snooring fart outdid a young whipper snapper?! How dare does McBush do that!! :mad:

Anywho, McCain was more like a robot where as Obama actualy had a personality and was more conversational.

10. Holycannoli

Holycannoli Deity

He was conversational but he either didn't answer the question or he took too long because he was trying to find a way to answer without offending anyone, whereas McCain just stated his answer regardless of who might agree.

It was like Obama had no opinion on many of the issues or was afraid of his answer. It wasn't fully apparent until I saw McCain.

11. Miles Teg

Miles Teg Nuclear Powered Mentat

Pretty interesting. Obama was a little evasive, but he demonstrated he knew what he was talking about and was definitely putting allot more thought into his answers. McCain, on the other hand, didn't really have any evasive moments, and was willing to admit some past mistakes (psst. That's code for being a scumbag to his first wife.)

Pretty impressive for both of them.

12. GenMarshall

I disagree, I felt that he answered the questions presented to him quite well. McCain looks to me that he does not want to think before he acts, kind of like Cowboy Diplomacy of Bush's Administration.

13. DNK

DNK Member

http://www.c-span.org/

Below the main windows.

I would watch, but I'm sick and tired of the presidential campaign and am giving myself a couple months off right now before shifting into high gear in the fall.

14. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

No one talks about the Saddleback forum because it was an opportunity for Evangelicals to jack off to voting for McCain.

15. Holycannoli

Holycannoli Deity

You shouldn't have to think before answering a lot of those questions. When asked about abortion McCain came right out and answered. When asked about what to do with evil McCain said flat out "Defeat it". Obama tried to give the politically-appealing neutral answer to everything.

McCain will rise in the polls pretty soon. They're both dead-even now so both need every little advantage they can get. Last night was a victory for McCain.

I now predict that McCain will be triumphant in the upcoming debates, seeing how Obama answers questions. Like I've been saying for a long time now, he's great with a teleprompter but stumbles without one. He's too afraid of giving the wrong answer that he doesn't answer at all.

And Red Door, don't be fooled into thinking that because some Evangelical (who I never heard of btw) hosted this forum that it's some Evangelical event. It was far from it.

16. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

Would you be more comfortable if I said conservative Christian forum because that's what it is. It's not an important debate/meeting/event and it will have little, if any, effect on the polls of any state, let alone the nation.

17. GenMarshall

However, it looked like McCain just simply rehearsed it over and over again untill he blirts it out like a machine. Yet only shows that McCain is a simple Washington insider.

I highly doubt that last night is a victory for old McCain. If you think spouting out liners like "9/11", "Terrorists", and "Defeat it" is considered victory. Then McCain is up for a pretty boring campang.

Same thing was said about Hillary vs. Obama, and look what happened. People predicted that she would be triumphant in the nominations, yet Obama came out a winner.

Regardless with our without a teleprompter, Obama did not showed any such stumbleness or nervousness in answering the question.

McCain or should I say McBush does not impress me at all. No thanks to his plan to remove incentives for business that offers health benefits to their employees. He wont be gaining my vote any time soon. I'm not a big fan of having the US go the route of "business as usual". McCain has a whole heck of a lot to win any solid Obama supporter.

18. sonorakitch

sonorakitch Overseas hunter

It is quite obvious CG that you didn't even watch it.

Just stop please. You are making no sense.

~Chris

19. GenMarshall

Wrong, I have watched the Saddleback forum for your information buddy (They do replay them on cable networks and there are certanly TVs in the breakroom where I work). It's quite obvious that you don't like it when someone says something that you dont agree with.

I'm sorry, but I am free to say my opinions and yes, I do make sense here. Now quit the Ad Homens.

20. DNK

DNK Member

:lol: I love your method of debating, CG. It makes my forum day.