SaibotLieh's Beast Master (Warlord) unit

SaibotLieh's new Beast Master unit has caused some interest and should be included into C2C.

They should be a limited number unit.

I was going to add them in as an alternate timeline set of units however ls612 suggested that they may also be cultural units as well.

Spoiler :
I saw that unit as well, and my plan for it was to make it an Ancient unit which, when and animal was on the same tile as it, they would have an option to add a promotion to the Beastmaster, ie a bird could add "Beast - Bird" which gives +1 LOS or something, the same could be done for other animal groups. This would make the unit a National Unit (limit 5). Is that possible with the current Outcome System?

Also, it need not be Alt-Timeline, ancient cultures did use beastmaster-types in real life.

It is possible for both we just define the tamed animal appropriately. There are only ancient and medieval versions of the units so they will need to upgrade to a different type or convert into a building in later eras eg a circus building.

Any other suggestions of comments on this unit?

SaibotLieh's new Beast Master unit has caused some interest and should be included into C2C.

They should be a limited number unit.

I was going to add them in as an alternate timeline set of units however ls612 suggested that they may also be cultural units as well.

It is possible for both we just define the tamed animal appropriately. There are only ancient and medieval versions of the units so they will need to upgrade to a different type or convert into a building in later eras eg a circus building.

Any other suggestions of comments on this unit?

Where did I suggest that they be a Cultural unit? I merely suggested that they be limited, and that if possible they should be able to benefit by using subdued animals and the Outcome system.

If the art were availible I would suggest using it for a bio-punk unit, with the animals replaced by some sort of lab-grown abominations.

:mischief:It can be used with any units I think so I could add the master to a bunch of tanks if needed.

Where did I suggest that they be a Cultural unit? I merely suggested that they be limited, and that if possible they should be able to benefit by using subdued animals and the Outcome system.

Sorry, miss read your post:blush:. However I could make the Asiatic War Rhinos use the animations. Maybe I need more sleep or coffee or both.

Bug, the units do not retain the beast master graphic after an exit and load. I wondered why SaibotLieh used a python call back (onUnitCreated) rather than onUnitBuilt. ;)

Bug, the units do not retain the beast master graphic after an exit and load. I wondered why SaibotLieh used a python call back (onUnitCreated) rather than onUnitBuilt. ;)

To us NON-python people, HUH?:rolleyes:

Because it is meant to work with tamed animals, in which case you may get tamed animals without building them in other mods.
Although the modcomp allows you to build, I guess it is for easy testing

Tried and tested, it works for me after exit and load.
I guess it didn't work for you because of the recalcuation modifier thingy?

To us NON-python people, HUH?:rolleyes:

The unit graphics lost the beast master part of the graphis

Because it is meant to work with tamed animals, in which case you may get tamed animals without building them in other mods.
Although the modcomp allows you to build, I guess it is for easy testing

Tried and tested, it works for me after exit and load.
I guess it didn't work for you because of the recalcuation modifier thingy?

Yes, I think it was the recalculation that removed it. Or maybe it was the graphics settings, maybe I hit single unit graphics by mistake.

If it is the recalculation thingy, you may try adding some codes onGameLoad to reapply the effects to them

I think SO's "HUH" refers to what the heck is difference between onUnitCreated and onUnitBuilt :D

If it is the recalculation thingy, you may try adding some codes onGameLoad to reapply the effects to them

I think SO's "HUH" refers to what the heck is difference between onUnitCreated and onUnitBuilt :D

I suspect that won't work. That way every load you do that doesn't recalculation will add any bonuses again.

What is it that is getting lost? If it's just unit graphics then recalculation is irrelevant - it doesn't touch anything but modifiers (and doesn't touch units also)

Thing is, no bonus is added.

What Saibotleh's code does is simply, when a tamed animal is created, add the beastmaster graphics to it like a great general.

Thus, onGameLoad, you can just check whether tamed animal has BM graphics, if not apply it.

Thus, whether recalculation is done or not, no difference to the unit stats anyway

We're seeing the new trained animal units from this but they really came in far too late to be effective - at least at the strength levels they were at when they were earned. I'm thinking... if they are supposed to represent multiple trained attack animals, they should be much stronger than their untrained comparables, perhaps even as much as twice as strong or more. That would make them a bit more applicable for their current technology level achieved at.

I have done a bit of work on this. Mostly to get the units to fit in with C2C by combat strength. In general tamed animals will be stronger than their subdued cousins but not as strong as the trained versions. They can also attack, which is the point because that is when the graphics look coolest.:cool: Tamed animals can also build all the buildings their subdued counter part can build.

I have also added a couple of new building groups:
  • extended Totem/Standard building
  • taming building.
Both can be built by subdued animals. The totem building reduces the cost to build units in the group while the taming building allows you to build tamed animals. You need the totem in the city to build the tamer and you need the standard totem in the city to build the extended totem. This is so that they are not OP. Adjustments will need to be made. :D

Currently there are four extended totems and three tamers:
  • Totem (Workers) - builds worker units faster is built by beavers, aardvarks and anteaters.
  • Bears totem and trainer - requires Bear Trainer at the moment allows tamed brown bears.
  • Cats totem and trainer - requires Big Cat Trainer at the moment allows tamed lion and panther
  • Dogs totem and trainer - can be built by any one

Tamed animals require a tamer building and that requires an enclosure. I figured this would make it not over powered. I have not done the herbivore one yet as I am not sure if it wont be too OP.

@Hydro could you turn these two into buttons thanks. I tried to make a cat and bear set but for some reason it kept putting the bit I wanted on the bottom layer and refused to move it to the top!

Attachments

• wolftamer.7z
    9 KB · Views: 42
@DH

Yous looked kind of weird so I teied my hand at a new button. I think both the unit and the buildings could use the same icon/button. Included are ...

- Tamed Bear
- Tamed Lion
- Tamed Panther
- Tamed Wolf

Let me know what you think.

Note I tied a few different ways but this seemed the best of them.

They are not at all bad thanks. Except I forgot to replace the panther with a cheetah, I figure you would want one strong (lion) and one fast (cheetah) big cat only, since thy all do the same thing otherwise.

@Hydromancerx would it be possible to get some more icons for this? Horse, Camel, Elephant, Donkey and Water Buffalo are next on my list.

I think their building will require a stable to be built first.

Top Bottom