Sailor's Dirge

MaxAstro

Spiral Knight
Having finally encountered the thing, I've discovered that it's ridiculous. If your capital is coastal, it WILL kill you. 3 skeletons attacking your capital on turn 14 is not survivable.

It needs to spawn MUCH later; it just ruined a really nice start for me.

I agree it should wait untill at least turn 50, when you had the chance to build several warriors (if it kills you then it's your fault:p).

Alternativley, the Dirge could start empty, but could cast a Summon Skeleton spell which would take 5 turns to cast and it could not move while casting it. This would mean if it spawned near you, you could move your warrior to your capital and build another before it had enough to become overpowering, giving you a chance of survival. Also, it would mean catching and destroying the dirge would be easier, because it would be periodically still.

I think in old versions (.23 and back) it would always spawn on the first turn of the game.

I would actually prefer it spawn well after Orthus, as it is considerably strong than him.

Even if a human can survive him at turn 50 (only if you know he is coming; I usually build scout, scout, scout, worker, warrior, settler, because I know my capital is safe until turn 100 or so), an AI definately can't.

I've survived an early Dirge before. Of course, this was in a Classical Start game, so I began with an Archer that could stay in my city and weaken the skeletons until I could build up the troops needed to take them out.

I think I might prefer making the Dirge did not autospawn skeletons, but instead started with Death I and II. It might be nice if its summons started with Water Walking, or at least Boarding. I like the idea of it being able to capture other ships and turn them into new Sailor's Dirges.

I wouldn't mind the Dirge at all, if it spawned around turn 120 or so (normal, prince). But turn 15 way to early to throw more than one skeleton at your capital.

EDIT: Also, I like the current spawning mechanic. It's more thematic than just being another summoner unit.

Turn 15? Turn 15 was when it KILLED me the first time max... It was already around a turn... good greif.

I could handle it, around the same time as Othus. That'd be fine. Especialy since you have to build up to deal with The Great Rush™ anyway. Although certainly it would still be a vicous visitor around that time.

I also think it'd be cool if it randomly lost interest in whoever it was attacking every now and then. Very ship of the undeadeque.

Haha, I didn't even notice, I was so intent on being pissed at the dang thing I didn't even check if anyone else had made the same complaints. XD

I never encounter this... this.
Maybe Orthus can be loaded into this ... (or Acheron :lol::lol:)

I got killed on turn 8 by it ;D
Good times..... Good times......

I've never encountered the Dirge. Orthus and Acheron, oh yeah. Dirge, no.

I have seen it twice. Once it squished my wittle head...

The other I came across it parked in someone ELSE'S starting city and I giggled as I walked over their squished heads and sank the silly thing at port.

I once managed to capture the Dirge (I forget how), but was really disappointed that it would not make Skeletons for me.

I once managed to capture the Dirge (I forget how), but was really disappointed that it would not make Skeletons for me.

Yeah same here, was actually kinda lame.

edit: prolly got it the same way i did, you wb'd your doviello beastman to have boarding party, the rest is history.

Top Bottom