Salt! Great sense of city naming by the AI!

kayser79

Chieftain
Hm... There's a lot of salt here... now what shall we name this city?

(Apparently the AI is not without a sense for naming their cities properly...)

Attachments

• 2013-08-06_00001_.jpg
    2013-08-06_00001_.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 992
I also guess they use that wheat and sheep to make lamb burgers. With lots of salt in them, naturally.

edit: just checked Wikipedia, Salzburg means "salt fortress". Cool!

Haha. That's awesome. I'm pretty sure there's a Salzburg on my current map, but my scout's still making his way there. I'll have to report on its saltiness.

Do Salt resources tend to clump like that? I think my current game is the only one where I've seen a civ have 13 copies of a resource.

Do Salt resources tend to clump like that? I think my current game is the only one where I've seen a civ have 13 copies of a resource.

Not salt in particular, but it's very common for the same luxury resource to appear many times in the same area. This is an extreme case though.

On my huge map, I have the salt monopoly it seems (unless as-yet-unexplored Austria or Polynesia have some). Even then, I have around 6. 13 would be insane. Not even Harun is packing that much incense.

Most luxuries clump, but I think there is an option to turn it off in the game options. Salt is the most awesome resource to start with by the way. It needs just mining to improve and yields an initial 3/2/1, which gets even better already with chemistry.

I've never seen that much salt together (and I play on legendary settings). The naming is perfect!

I love salt, it's my favorite luxury resource. But I would say I start close to it 5-10 % of the time. I think the only luxury that never comes in cluster is marble (I never saw more than one in the same area in my games)

I think the only luxury that never comes in cluster is marble (I never saw more than one in the same area in my games)

Whales don't cluster either, at least I haven't seen whale clusters. Also, I can't recall whether I've seen a fur cluster either. But excluding jewelry, porcelain, nutmeg, cloves and pepper for obvious reasons, those are the only non-clustering luxuries I can think of.

It should go in funny screenshots though, IMO.

Completely off-topic, have you noticed that one of the three foxes that make up the fur resource just idles around and stands still while the other two frolic around?

Lazy little devil.

Whales don't cluster either, at least I haven't seen whale clusters. Also, I can't recall whether I've seen a fur cluster either. But excluding jewelry, porcelain, nutmeg, cloves and pepper for obvious reasons, those are the only non-clustering luxuries I can think of.

I had, once, a cluster of whales (*3) and one fish, it was on a coast in a no man's land.. I settled a city right here, fortunately I had picked "God of the seas" (don't know in english, the +1 hammer for workboats), I was playing England.

When I play Russia, with the toundra start, I often have 3 or 4 furs.

So whale clusters aren't unheard of either! Very interesting. Maybe they're just far more likely to appear, like they typically do in my games, along City-State coasts to give them some resource.

I love salt, it's my favorite luxury resource. But I would say I start close to it 5-10 % of the time. I think the only luxury that never comes in cluster is marble (I never saw more than one in the same area in my games)

Marble is clustered with stone instead of another marble. Grassland starts with 2 stone and 1 marble are pretty common as far as I can see (and quite sexy to boot!).

It would be an awesome feature for the AI to check for certain terrain features and resources for which a city is famed before allocating a city name.

Examples:

All coastal cities = must be on a coast
Salt Lake City = must be adjacent to an inland sea & salt.
Machu = must be next to a mountain
Grand River = must be on a long river
Bordeaux = must have wine

Ect, ect, ect!

In one of my games I had Panama City situated at the southern point of it's continent and it was the only route to get through ice blocked sea to circumvent the map.

Mongols took Panama so I had to make open borders with them to be able to use the Panama Canal.

Top Bottom