Salt

Kamamura

Warlord
Why is it missing among the resources?

It was so important throughout the history, it was used as a currency, wars were fought for it...

Anyone can get salt from the ocean. It would make no more sense than having a "wood" resource.

Reignking said:
Because every single thing throughout history does NOT need to be included.

Sorry, I agree with the Kamamura on this one. Salt was a very important resource. Of course you can't put "every single thing" in the game, but something that was as important as salt certainly should have been included.

Implementing it is a bit different. Perhaps give it a commerce bonus of +4 with a mine, +1 without. But when you discover currency it would change to +2 commerce and +1 food. (programming perspective I would assume currency would have an effect of -2 commerce, +1 food). It would only show up on desert tiles.

Just my .02 salts worth

I would make it a prerequisite for building granaries, since salt was essential for food preservation in some parts of the world.

I never thought about it until you posted this thread but you are right! Salt played a huge roll in early history, both political and economically, any early large city needed access to it. Salt allowed for the storage of meats before refrigeration, if I remember right most of it came from mines, I don't think they had the technology to get any useful amounts from the ocean.
I would give it a +1 to health and you need mining to get at it.

Nilrim said:
I would give it a +1 to health and you need mining to get at it.

it wouldn't need mining, s. american indians used water basins to extract it, pammukale in turkey is similar.
i think the current resources are ok. (saltpetre?)

cthom said:
it wouldn't need mining, s. american indians used water basins to extract it, pammukale in turkey is similar.

Ah thanks for the information, always nice to learn new things. By the way salt really is differnet then spices. Salt was used to keep food from spoiling, and spices were mainly used to cover up the taste of food that had already spoiled :) I know we use salt as a 'spice' today but it's main use was in perserving food.

I'm speaking in game terms. Rather than worry about why this or that aspect of real life isn't reflected explicitly in Civ, in most cases I find it more fruitful to try rationalizing it into the existing framework.

No matter how detailed a simulation becomes, it will always leave out something. Might as well deal with the simulation on its own terms. The alternative: make a mod incorporating your ideas -- when done well that can extend the game's enjoyment and it's a good project. :)

cthom said:

saltpeter is potassium nitrate - it ain't a spice.

By the way, there's a very interesting book called "Salt: A World History" by Mark Kurlansky. It's fascinating to see how much impact this one little mineral had on history, especially when we all eat way too much of it now.

True (though semi-OT) fact: The delicately expressed but sharply biting sense of humor considered typical of ancient Athens was known as "Attic salt." (Attic=from Attica, where Athens is; salt=stuff that flavors but also stings, i.e., wit.) Whip that little conversational gem out next time you're chatting with Alexander and you'll earn a "+2: You know some Greek trivia."

cthom said:
yes, i was suggesting the late-lamented saltpetre as a resource rather than salt

I never liked having saltpeter as a resource. The reason being is that Saltpeter is used for black powder, but not for modern gunpowder. By making it a resource you make it a resource for firearms that don't actually use it.

Isn't the English word Salary derived from "Sal" or salt or something like that because the latin speaking romans would pay their soldiers with it?

In the game, I can see it as being a luxury resource perhaps providing a health or straight commerce bonus. More luxuries = more trading and interesting things to discover. I don't see it being that difficult to add as someone already has.

At the very least, having Salt should enable the French Fry Wonder, increasing Happiness but decreasing Health in all of your cities. ;)

Top Bottom