1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Same sex marriage legalised in the United States

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Arwon, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Arwon

Arwon

5-4 decision by SCOTUS holding that the 14th amendment requires marriage between same sex couples.

2. useless

useless Social Justice Rogue

Yay for equal marriage!

3. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

4. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Congratulations to the couples who will now be able to marry if they want to.

And no, American society is not going to disintegrate, heterosexual married couples' wedding documents and photos and videos will not spontaneously combust, and their children's birth certificates will not suddenly become invalid.

5. Mr. Dictator

Mr. Dictator A Chain-Smoking Fox

6. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Congratulations!

7. shadowplay

shadowplay ars moriendi

...wow.

8. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Yeah, wow. Is that really what he wrote? It's not from The Onion or something? I haven't looked at any of the opinions yet. That's just stunning.

Anyway, congrats to those who can now properly live their lives with their loved ones. For those of us who merely want to live in a United States that lives up to its ideals, a toast.

9. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

From what I can tell on looking up the dictionary definition of the term, at least some forms of defined "dignity" can be taken away, and have been historically.

10. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

iirc, "human dignity" is one of the values protected by some European constitutions. Germany's, I think, but maybe others too. I've long thought that if I could write my own US Constitution, I would steal that (along with some other things, like Turkey's constitutional secularism).

11. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

So.. does this really mean that same sex marriage is now legal in all American states? Or do the states now have to alter their constitutions or laws first?

12. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

13. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

Yeah it's incredibly bitter and mean.

Scalia's is good too:

Yeah HIPPIES, jeeze!

Also his marriage must suck.

14. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Ten years almost to the day behind Canada, but it's never too late to do good :p

15. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Fox News is hilarious. One guy says the Court has never before decided a marriage case. Got Loving v. Virginia shoved back in his face.

16. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

[fornicate] dood pride is going to be cray this weekend

17. civvver

civvver Deity

Marriage has changed from a religious, social institution to a legal one. When we tie so many legal rights to being married like custody of children, spousal benefits, tax benefits, power of attorney, then I agree it is unconstitutional to deny those rights to other couples. I don't really get why it would be an attack on religion either, to me it seems like more religious freedom, separating the legal distinction from the religious distinction with regard to marriage.

I morally object to it but I morally object to tons of things that people still have legal rights to do if they want to. This isn't the middle east where stuff like adultery becomes an illegal crime. Governments shouldn't mandate moral issues aside from basic rights like don't kill people.

18. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

There other case decided today was a big one on criminal law - Scalia pushing a liberal issue.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2015/06/and-then-there-were-seven-the-remaining-cases-in-plain-english/

Residual clause struck down today.

19. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Yes, and yes. Some may have to make some changes to their laws, and there's no telling how long that might take, or whether they'll cooperate. When the Supreme Court ordered public schools desegregated, the Governor of Arkansas refused and President Eisenhower sent the 101st Airborne to enforce the order.

I just read that, too. It's nice that a Supreme Court Justice can be flippant and cynical in writing a decision that may be read and referenced for generations.

Scalia and Roberts don't seem to agree (with me and others) that human rights are not in fact subject to the democratic process. That was John Stuart Mill's tyranny of the majority: "There is a limit to the legitimate interference of collective opinion with individual independence; and to find that limit, and maintain it against encroachment, is as indispensable to a good condition of human affairs as protection against political despotism."

20. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas