1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sampling: Is it Legitimate?

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Huayna Capac357, Oct 18, 2011.

?

Is sampling legitimate?

1. Yes, it is legitimate both for entertainment purposes and for artistic purposes.

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. It is legitimate for entertainment purposes, but not for artistic purposes.

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. It is neither legitimate for entertainment nor for art.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It is neither legitimate for entertainment nor for art, and it may be stealing.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. It is neither legitimate for entertainment nor for art, and it is tantamount to stealing.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other (please explain below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. It is only legitimate if downtown is being sampled.

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

Sampling is used frequently in many types of music, most prominently hip-hop and electronic music, but not infrequently in pop and rock music as well. It is the re-appropriation of a segment of a piece or song of music in another piece or song of music. One example of a commonly sampled segment of music is the drum intro to Led Zeppelin's "When the Levee Breaks." Samples often add a new emotional effect to the music, or, when they are of familiar songs, sometimes link the two songs' themes. Sometimes they simply add to the complexity of the beat or background music.

Some people I know argue that, however, sampling decreases the need for actual creativity and is little better than stealing. They ask what is the point of making a new song or piece of music if one is simply going to copy an already made song or piece of music.

I would like to know your opinions of this matter. Thanks.

2. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

I don't think it's stealing as long as they're paying the royalties, but I do think it represents serious
    creative laziness on the part of the outfit doing the sampling.

3. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

I actually have a serious issue with this kind of thinking. It's putting a new type of thinking on an old way. It's the same thing as an academic taking a theory and looking at it in a different way. It's taking old types of music and putting a new spin on it (for the most part.)

4. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I don't see anything wrong with it. Sampling was used all the time in classical music. Different composers would use different parts. Some sections in Verdi's Rigoletto seem to have been borrowed from Rossini's Armida.

5. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Son of Huehuecoyotl

I don't see a problem with sampling, since it's usually brief(hence why it's a "sample."), and so long as they pay royalties for it, well, there should be no issue.

Plus, some samples mesh very well.

Link to video.

There's a sample of Judas Priest's Electric Eye at the end of this. I thought it was a nice touch, and it fit with the overall beat of the song anyway. :)

If it meshes well, doesn't take up too much time, and any due royalties are paid, there's no problem.

If a sample is laziness, I don't see why a cover should be seen as any different - it's the same song with a different singer(usually) and slightly altered sound.

6. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

Being a guy who listens to a band known for their very wide repertoire of covers, I really don't see the problem with sampling. Even a direct copy of a song is going to be infused with a band's personal signature, no matter how hard they try to copy the original content.

7. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

I like the quote attributed to James Brown when asked how he felt about the use of his records ( in the early days of hip hop , JB was THE man to sample from)

"well they're only good as my last record"

8. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Of course. A lot of the time it isn't done very well though.

9. Love

Love Deity

10. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I've got no problems with it at all. It can take something old and make it new, or even make it unrecognizable.

Link to video.

11. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Sure it's legitimate. I think saying that sampling is illegitimate is like saying playing a song someone else wrote, or producing an arrangement of an existing piece of music, is illegitimate. It's not at all, it's just not the exact same thing as an entirely original work. But it doesn't purport to be.