SANCTA Embassy & Intelligence

Also, Krill and Memphus both contacted me in-game to ask about whether we would stop allocating Espy points to each other as part of the 10 turn Cease-Fire.

I told them both that, No... that was not part of the teams understanding... and I told them both I would ask the team about this.

Memphus commented that they were withdrawing all of their spies from our lands and it would take about 3 turns to get them out. He apologized if any were "caught" while attempting to leave.:)

Memphus also offered us 1GPT for nothing in game, probably hoping that I wouldn't notice and just agree to it (thereby binding us to peace with them for 10 turns automatically). I asked him about it and he apologized and removed it.

I tried to copy and paste the in-game chat but I could not highlight it fast enough... Anyway, if you want to see it I think there might be some way to log -in and see it in-game (although I don't know how to do it.)

Lastly, Memphus asked for a email response to their treaty proposal, as well as an email memorializing the cease-fire. I told him I would mention both issues to the team.

EDIT: I agreed to a Cease-Fire based on the majority in favor of it. :)king:+ :run: + :queen: for it v. :old: against it)

Also, Krill(or Memphus) wanted to know if there was a "cooling" off period...:confused: Basically a cease-fire extension, ie some period of turns where we would agree not to actually attack each other. I just said No, and told him them that I would mention it to the team.

It seems to me that it would mean that after the 10 turn cease fire, we could resume taking non-military aggressive actions towards each other (espy points, spying, culture bombing, etc.) but that military action would still be prohibited. In other words, they could culture bomb us, but we would not be able to attack in retalliation. Again this (2nd paragraph) is not wat they said, just my estimation of what they meant.

We might want to mention it to them specifically that we would consider use of the GA (especially for a culture Bomb) to be a violation of the Cease fire. We might even suggest that using it for a Gol'n Age runs afoul of the cease fire.

How about this...

Dear Ninjas,

We are considering the terms of your Peace treaty and discussing additional terms for our relationship moving forward. In the meantime we have agreed to a Cease-Fire.

We appreciate your agreement to take no hostile actions towards us in return for our promise to do the same. We must now set about defining what actions we consider hostile so that our treaty can progress.

Our people, through the winds of legend and rumor, have been made aware of the one called Raphael, who is known to be an extremely gifted Ninja painter, Architect, and Yoga instructor. We feel that commissioning of his Great Work, in cities near Kazakhstan would unduly influence our people and would thus be a violation of the Cease-Fire.

We also feel that placing Raphael in a position of leadership, whereby he would be able to lead the Ninjas into a Golden Age of enlightenment and cultural awakening, would also be against the spirit of Our Cease-Fire.

We therefore propose, that as part of our Cease fire, Raphael's Great Work immediately be commisioned in a city, located far, far, far away from Kazakhstan. Our people are content to hear of his exploits through the winds of rumor, they do not need to see them first-hand.

We hope you will cooperate with us, and we look forward to continued amicable relations.

Sommerswerd of Kazakhstan

I will send this via PM in 12 hours, if no-one (besides Donsig :sarcasm:)objects.

Or alternatively, if a majority of those responding approve, I will send it via email.

Can we have more than 12 hours to send that note? The GA thing is quite a big ask

btw did we do a Peace Treaty (there by binding us to peace which we can't break even if the culture bomb us) or a cease fire as planned?

Can we have more than 12 hours to send that note? The GA thing is quite a big ask
No prob... I said I would send if no one spoke up. You spoke up... so I would say the issue is closed (clock is stopped) at least until we discuss it more or more people weigh in.

I still think this issue is important to do quickly though, because we want them to use the GA elsewhere, hopefully to C-Bomb someone else... (Cavalieros maybe?)

btw did we do a Peace Treaty (there by binding us to peace which we can't break even if the culture bomb us) or a cease fire as planned?

Cease-Fire (as planned) not Peace Treaty, we could log in and re-DOW right now if we wanted to.

We are going to found our fish city next turn and have a workboat on the way. So SANCTA won't be able to pillage it. Our spy will soon be in position to see what defences they have.

I would have preferred to have started our 10 turns a bit earlier as it will synch better with launching a raid IMO

I'd rather not have OB with them, they have GLH so it will give them a commerce boost

It seems SANCTA used Raphael to start a Golden Age... They will be teching Education in 3 turns at this rate, followed by Philo and then Lib. Oyzar doubts we can get RP... more in the CAV thread shortly.

SANCTA Chat:

Spoiler :
Jon says:
good evening
Krill says:
Evening mate
Jon says:
is now a good time for you to chat?
Krill says:
Sure
Jon says:
ok cool
Krill says:
now is fine for me. You able to chat as well I take it?
Jon says:
yep
Jon says:
so i'm approaching you guys because the lib race will be concluded shortly
Jon says:
and because of how the game has unfolded so far
Jon says:
I had a previous discussion with Memphus a while back along similar lines
Jon says:
which you might be aware of
Krill says:
I don't really know about any discussion you had with Memphus. If you have a time frame that might jog my memory though
Jon says:
oh it was back before you killed off our stack around zero/tky
Krill says:
ok
Krill says:
ah, found it
Jon says:
the gist of it is that if we stay aligned with CAV then you guys are going to have a hard time staying in the game
Krill says:
So that is your thinking? You wouldn;t be here if you weren't about to make an offer
Jon says:
well yes that is what i believe
Jon says:
but Memphus made the point that CAV will then run away with the game
Jon says:
which is a distinct possibility
Jon says:
if the current alignments stay the same do you think you guys can win?
Krill says:
Well, since your chat with Memphus, alot has happened
Krill says:
we've played 20 turns
Jon says:
yeah true
Krill says:
you've slaved out a stack and lost it, whereas we've lost relatively little
Jon says:
and you defeated our attack of course
Jon says:
but the overall dynamic stays the same
Krill says:
You wanted to speak to us, to SANCTA. So far you've told us your opinions on this game. Considering how Kaz has played this game so far forgive me if I take your views with a pinch of salt.
Krill says:
My understanding, which may be based on faulty assumptions, si that you wanted to talk about some sort of deal
Jon says:
well if you dont think our level of play on par then I won't waste any more of your time
Jon says:
sorry bout that

The following message could not be delivered to all recipients:
sorry bout that

Jon says:
lost my internet for a sec there
Krill says:
np
Krill says:
same happens to me out in the sticks occasionally
Jon says:
so it seems you want me to get straight to the matter
Krill says:
brb 2 secs
Jon says:
k
Krill says:
that would be nice
Krill says:
ok, sorry, brb in 15 minutes
Krill says:
something just came up
Jon says:
np i will be here
Krill says:
back
Jon says:
wb

Memphus has been added to the conversation.

Jon says:
Memphus wanted to join us, he has a few minutes to chat
Jon says:
so I will get right to the point
Jon says:
how do you guys feel about an alliance?
Jon says:
for us to take the huge step of turning on CAV would take TKY and Zero
Jon says:
which would allow us to get at them
Memphus says:
i see.
Memphus says:
so to understand if we gifted TKY and Zero you would enter an alliance with us, and go attack cav?
Jon says:
yeah
Memphus says:
this was the same deal offered prior to music?
Jon says:
if we are going to do a 180 we would want to hit them hard before they can react to the shift in the geopolitical situation
Memphus says:
except then we didnt have zero yet...
Memphus says:
or were you locked into something more formal with them then?
Jon says:
yeah basically...we were going to raze zero and offer it at the gates of tky to prevent further bloodshed
Jon says:
but we got owned before then lol
Jon says:
with a little help from rng in our opinion btw
Memphus says:
well someone needs to talk to your military advisor but i do enjoy split stacks
Jon says:
yeah that was a mistake, trying to be bold right after the first setback
Memphus says:
true the rng was favourable, but at the same time we had auxilliary plans. Overall my analysis of all the battles had us get a 65-35 ratio from the rng.
Krill says:
which is still beside the point right now
Memphus says:
that is true.
Jon says:
yeah it unfolded the way it did
Memphus says:
so I guess from Sancta's view where is the advantage for us?
Memphus says:
You attack Cav and Not Us?
Jon says:
well we think its a little larger then that in terms of scope
Jon says:
the dynamics of the game would be vastly different
Memphus says:
how so? unless you mean tech wise?
Jon says:
well it seems that either you or CAV will be eliminated first
Memphus says:
I never expected Cav to come in last...but I guess it is possible.
Memphus says:
Cav has almost 3 Times the cities of MS or Saturn
Jon says:
well if it was SANCTA/Saturn/Kaz and we took the fight to CAV...
Memphus says:
hmmmm
Memphus says:
but where would MS fall?
Jon says:
if we focused on MS then CAV would just gear up
Memphus says:
But what if we think we can out build Cav? and not even take the fight to them? We did have a war already, we are a little weary of bloodshed...
Jon says:
well if you think that you can win in the current alignment then I guess my idea isnt that attractive
Memphus says:
well the idea is attractive minus the losing the cities part...
Jon says:
well of course
Memphus says:
Well I have posted to the team for feedback.
Memphus says:
but I think they need a little more of a push and understanding....
Memphus says:
meaning how does tech fit in? what turn would you think for the cities?
Memphus says:
would 1 of the 2 cities be acceptable?
Jon says:
well yeah, the knee jerk reaction will be "forget those Kaz guys, we beat them once we will continue to do so"
Memphus says:
how does liberalism fit in? do we wait until cav trades it to you?
Jon says:
well if we were to flip in the next couple turns we let you win Lib guaranteed
Jon says:
which is why i mentioned now would be a good time for a game-changing event
Memphus says:
so you wouldnt be breaking any deals with Cav?
Memphus says:
or is that the you let us get lib part?
Memphus says:
and shucks you just missed it?
Memphus says:
I guess where I (and can see the team) comming from is, this deal is very similar to the one before as noted.
Jon says:
well we would end our relationship with CAV at a time that they would consider a deal breaking
Jon says:
we would be crossing the rubicon for sure
Memphus says:
so we would need somethign very formal and outlined, more so than just "we will attack cav"
Jon says:
of course
Jon says:
and we would want certain guarantees like tech sharing etc
Jon says:
we are in a comfortable relationship with CAV right now to be clear
Jon says:
we just are looking far into the future
Memphus says:
that makes sense.
Jon says:
and see them running away with the game
Memphus says:
being comfortable on a seat to 2nd or 3rd place isnt as much fun as shaking it up.
Memphus says:
so at this point i would say you took me from 0% to 25%
Memphus says:
Krill is quiet so that means he must also be considering it
Jon says:
fair enough
Memphus says:
so in fairness we are open to it
Memphus says:
but I feel a "formal" alliance in the email is warrented now
Jon says:
you have to admit, this would make the MTDG more interesting
Memphus says:
well it has always been interesting for us , but i can see how this make make your teams game more fun
Jon says:
oh but above the current interest level just think of all the CAV guys screaming bloody murder lol
Memphus says:
oh true yeah they would flip....which i would enjoy.
Memphus says:
so how long until you guys can have something formal for me to post?
Jon says:
oh maybe a day or two to put something together
Jon says:
im going to play our turn here before the timer runs out
Memphus says:
ok cool
Jon says:
if you and saturn took your time it would probably allow more discussion
Jon says:
time on your turns that is
Memphus says:
well i am on flights so i wont be home for a while
Memphus says:
most likely 24 hours from now is when i can play
Jon says:
well it would be good if we could reach an understanding before you finish your turn this round
Jon says:
so i guess we should get some something emailed to you sooner rather than later
Memphus says:
not sure how our turn influences it? that would help
Memphus says:
*email would help
Jon says:
well before CAV starts their turn
Memphus says:
? how come?
Jon says:
we would be pulling the rug out from under them so to speak
Jon says:
the die would be cast etc etc
Krill says:
We understand your position.
Jon says:
it guarantees you lib, should sweeten it for you guys
Krill says:
But we can't just say yes/no without knowing everything about when cities would be swapped, war declared on Cav, how tech would be sorted out etc.
Jon says:
yes of course
Krill says:
We can try to get our team mobilised and discussing this in the next few hours
Jon says:
well I will do my best to have something for you tomorrow morning your time
Krill says:
CS, what timezone are you in?
Jon says:
gmt -8
Krill says:
ok
Krill says:
I'm in GMT+1 atm.
Krill says:
chatting is probably best between you and Memphus then
Jon says:
when he is done travelling of course
Krill says:
True
Jon says:
well i have to play my team's turn
Krill says:
cool, good luck with that
Memphus says:
have a good one...looking forward to your letter
Jon says:
Thanks, you too. Talk to you later.

Wow, I'm not at all sure I'd want an alliance with SANCTA even if they gave us those two cities. Are we seriously considering this? :confused:

That chat was dripping with a lot of backhanded (and full-fisted) ridicule of how our team has played the game up to this point. They all but came out and said "Gosh you guys suck... Who the heck has been making your decisions?" :p

As irritating as that is,:mad: we still have to keep our options open. Someone mentioned the need for us to play "kingmaker" (a while back) between Cavalieros and SANCTA... Maybe the time for us to step into that role has come...

We need help to get back into the game... That is painfully apparent. We need to expand, but we are out of land. We NEED more cities, if we are going to remain competitive. MS has caught up and will soon eclipse us if we don't DO SOMETHING.

The only way we can expand is EITHER at SANCTAs expense OR at Cavalieros expense... That is the cold hard truth. We have to do one or the other, and we have to do it now (or at least very soon).

I'd only make a deal with SANCTA if I knew we could double cross them later on. What if we made the deal with SANCTA, got those two cities and then had a phoney war with Team Cav to get some of their land as part of a balance of power deal (with Team Cav)? That would get Team Cav and SANCTA fighting, too. I'm not sure how we'd sell Team Cav on the idea. And yes, I know it's a crazy thought but since we're finally reaching a team concensus on something (the fact that our chances of winning the game are slim and none) what do we have to lose by pursuing crazing ideas?

If we are not switching, we MUST at least threaten Cavalieros with a switch. I would say we should offer them the same deal we are offering SANCTA. They are our allies afterall, and at least deserve a chance to match SANCTA's (hypothetical) offer.

What I mean by the SAME offer is, we should ask Cavalieros to gift us a couple nearby cities... To maintain the balance of power between us. If they balk, delay, or refuse outright, then we tell them that they give us no choice but to join SANCTA. See if that works. Then we can discuss the results.

To be clear... as I have said many, many, many times, I reject the notion that we did not agree to Cavalieros' equal-partners/balance-of-power clause. I know that some on the team buy into the notion that we rejected it. I disagree. We constructively accepted it, through our actions (ie. tech sharing) and so we are entitled to invoke the "balance of power" concept to demand cities from them. I suggest we do so now.

On the other hand, IF we decide to switch... I think that it might be in our best interests to wait until after the Liberalism race is over to do it. That way, we can get the free tech, no matter who wins the race:

1. Get the free tech from Cavalieros and THEN switch sides, or;
2. Get the free tech from SANCTA AFTER we switch sides.

Finally, I really like Donsig's above plan... (worth discussing at least).

I think we should consider a deal with Sancta.

But we should also push on Cav harder to see if they are willing to help.

If they agree to stop expanding East (they should as they area already suffering pretty severe maintenance costs) and give concrete military support to take TKY, dragon tears, and Zero. Then I would prefer to keep them as allies.

Their empire is practically borders Sancta right now and with engineering they should be able to move units to the front line quite quickly.

If we switch the time to do it is before CAVs turn- this is when Oyzar wants us to gift him Philo and Education. If we switch before gifting we guarantee SANCTA wins the Lib race. SANCTA then uses the bulbs they were going to use for Lib for other techs (gifting everything to us of course) We would suddenly be way ahead of CAV and MS and could start taking their eastern cities.

So it looks like we should send SANCTA a proposal. How about something along the following lines:

*TKY and Zero to Kaz (do we want to raze zero or keep it?)

*Kaz will be entitled to their current territory and all of CAV’s current lands. SANCTA is entitled to the rest of the map. Open borders agreement will be in effect.

*SANCTA, Kaz and Saturn will freely gift all techs to each other on request. The alliance will coordinate together for shared tech goals.

*Kaz will attack CAV with all available units no later than turn XXX (reasonable amount of time to stage our current forces, shift triremes to the West, etc.)

Conversation I'm having with Krill right now:

Spoiler :
Jon says:
still up?
Krill says:
yeah
Jon says:
so you guys played your turn quickly
Krill says:
you might want to enter the game and have a look around
Jon says:
regarding the GS's?
Krill says:
sure
Jon says:
anything else i should log in to see?
Krill says:
so you got told about I take it
Jon says:
well caste, the golden age, and compass made it obvious
Jon says:
what kind of bulbs you have planned
Jon says:
we planned for that back when you guys switch to caste
Jon says:
switched
Krill says:
I know
Jon says:
so should we proceed with an offer or not interested anymore?
Krill says:
Oh, we are very interested in your offer
Jon says:
well i havent been able to hammer out anything fancy
Krill says:
within Kaz?
Jon says:
yeah, just some basic ideas right now
Krill says:
basic ideas from you, who know your own capabilites and intents, are better discussion points than the conjecture from SANCTA about what you want or would be willing to do
Jon says:
*TKY and Zero to Kaz

*Kaz will be entitled to their current territory, TKY and zero lands and all of CAV’s current lands. SANCTA is entitled to the rest of the map. Open borders agreement will be in effect.

*SANCTA, Kaz and Saturn will freely gift all techs to each other on request. The alliance will coordinate together for shared tech goals.

*Kaz will attack CAV with all avai
Jon says:
available units no later than turn XXX (reasonable amount of time to stage our current forces, shift triremes to the West, etc.)
Jon says:
very rough i know but its hard to hammer stuff out on the fly
Krill says:
that's decent

Top Bottom