1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sandbox turn 89 - Monarchy vs Currency vs

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by 2metraninja, Jan 21, 2013.

1. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

Sandbox at end of turn 89. Not 100% correct, but still very close. For the purpose of deciding Monarchy vs Currency vs Code of Laws vs Calendar or whatever, it is in the Dropbox or attached at the bottom of the post.

Please, play quick up to turn 110 and report results:

1. tech path
    2. sustainable beakers
    3. maximum beakers at deficit
    4. food per turn
    5. hammers per turn
    6. number of cities
    7. cumulative number of citizens
    8 one or few screenshots showing the land and city settling sites

Attached Files:

2. 2metraninja

Here is the first result:

To turn 110:

1. tech path: Monarchy - Currency - Aesthetics - Literature (could have been CoL->Bureau after Monarchy too)
    2. sustainable beakers 100 bpt
    3. maximum beakers at deficit 265 bpt
    4. food per turn 181
    5. hammers per turn 65
    6. number of cities 11 cities, + 1 to be settled next turn
    7. cumulative number of citizens 64 citizens if I counted them right
    8 one or few screenshots showing the land and city settling sites:

West:
    Spoiler :

Center:
    Spoiler :

Our lovely size-14-to-be capitol Indira which makes 40% of our empire research output.

Spoiler :

3. whb

whb King

Hmm, not a fan of where you put Delhi in that one. I'd have put it 2W, grabbed the rice (we're unlikely to find another city spot that can take the rice that isn't too close to RB) have access to the sea, and used the pigs for a different city. But that's just me.

Or on the desert 1NW, so that with a lighthouse, the two lake tiles worked become 3-food tiles.

Where Delhi is right now, isn't it sitting on a floodplain?

4. 2metraninja

Thanks for commenting, I would love to have more discussion in the team.

What is great for that location where I settled Delhi is it have a forest and a priest ready to spread Judaism and build temple in 1 turn, so borders pop in just 5 turns and give us another great tile to work - pigs in addition to the already great green cow we will start with in the first ring. Note that Delhi is already at size 4 (just 2 turns from size 5) and works 4 strong tiles - Sheep, Pig, horses and Flood plain, some 14-15 turns after it is settled. On the sixth turn it is size 2 on both locations due to the 4f cow, but if settled 2W it will have no other option, but to work the horses or the flood plain cottage for the next 5 turns for slower growth and just then it will be able to work the 4f rice instead of 6f pigs. From size 2, the plain riverside location is at size 3 and working the flood plain cottage on turn 9 from its settling then it is on size 4 working the horses on turn 12 from its settling, then on size 5 on turn 15-16-17 from its settling and have built granary to make it to size 6 and productive powerhouse on turn 20 from its settling. While with settling 2W the city will be at size 3-4 and still away from the other city performance.

As for the rice, I think we will be able to settle a city north from the rice a little bit on expense of WPC.

Problem I see with 1NW desert tile is it will take the same big amount of time to develop that city working 11 turns only horses. On the eleventh turn it will be still on size 1 versus size 4 if we settle the riverside plain. It is just plain, no flooded plain.

5. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

:agree:

Unfortunately I don't have the time to play this one out, so I say we go with 2metra's general plan. It's different than the approach I would have taken, but the results at T110 are impressive.

I'd say keep Currency after Monarchy, but then I would rather get CoL => Bureau instead of Aesthetics => Literature.

I'd rather plant a city at the Pigs west of Indira before the southern city of Hsung-Nu. I like your placement of the Stone city, but that means that we won't actually get access to Stone for awhile after T110.

Thanks 2metra for creating the sandbox and playing out a test game. Much appreciated. :hatsoff:

6. 2metraninja

Thanks, Yossa for commenting.

Hsung-nu is the barb city which I took at some point when it reached 2 pop.

Pig city west of Indira is something I also think is really great to have. It can work the unattractive plains cottages for Indira and let her grow and start working already hamlets when at bigger size.

I also dont like the idea of the Stone city planted, as it is not much productive and we have better sites to settle, but I though the team was unambiguous and united in their desire we to settle that city and set the border with RB. It is nice city long-term btw, but just wont shine right now. And we dont need stone so soon anyway, and as a border city I would had it on the desert hill instead. But on the other hand, this will be our only coastal city for awhile. Important either for having a naval presence and for international trade routes over the sea. So I still think the location is OK, just dont know if it is due to be built as city 9 or more like city 11.

7. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Well if we want to go down that tech path, then we need to settle the marble to make it worthwhile.

8. 2metraninja

I went Literature for TGLib, Hero Epic and National Epic, but we have a lot before we are to make tech decision that far. And I had settler on the marble on turn 110 just not settled yet. I wanted to only demonstrate how powerful Monarchy and very big capitol can be. We have settled Indira the way we settled it with a reason and now is the time she to became to shine. RB's banana capitol will wane and flicker compared to ours very soon.

9. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

That post made me smile. I do most of my lurking over at RB where the strategy is absolutely all about the snowball effect. Sacrifice long-term benefit for what gets you the most bang for your buck right now. This is a very successful strategy over there. 2metra's approach is very different, but based on all the wins under his belt, this is also a good strategy. I am very much looking forward to see how this all works out.

Does the team want me to post polls for any of these decisions (city location, tech path, etc.), or are we ok with following 2metra's proposed path for the most part?

10. 2metraninja

Well, I guess it can be addressed as "ideas contrast", "confrontation of worlds" or even "clash of cultures" for some pathos added :D

I only can hope we can stand the test of time against RB's team made of their most skilled players. I wont name players, but sadly for us, our best SPers dont want to get involved in MP (even if they dont have to actually play it and the fact it is to give their toll for the CFC fatherland :D) and most of our MPers have either retired or migrated to RB, while the rest of our seasoned MP veterans dont bother much with discussions, despite playing civ each day. Not complaining, we will do what we can and believe is right, and then let happen whatever have to be happening.

As for my wins, thanks for your faith in me, just yesterday my opponents conceded to me and my allies 1889 and Sommerswerd on a huge Helenic map, so thats +1 more :) And there were some decent players in this game. MZprox, Calanthian and DNK of Apolyton and Beta of WPC. Two ISDG team captains. Not at all bad. :)

Still, I have to win my first win at RB. Just started a pitboss there. Things are looking optimistic I dare saying :) Of course those who I will play against are not the RB's best I guess, will come to them also at some point.