1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Santa Claus

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Borachio, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

source

According to my elder brother, there's no such person as Santa Claus. Is this true?

If it is, should shopping centres perpetuate the myth?

If it isn't (i.e. Santa Claus is alive and well), has anyone seen him?

2. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

Unquestionably yes on both counts.

The myths we perpetuate into adulthood are far worse.

3. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

I think it's important for children to learn early on that their parents lie to them about beliefs.

4. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Actually, when I first found out that Santa wasn't real, I started wondering.. "What else isn't real, then?"

It made me be a bit more sceptical about the things my parents (and society) were telling me, and started a bit of a journey which ended with me finally acknowledging that most of the stuff I learned about the Bible, God, Jesus, et al was a bunch of BS as well.

So yeah.. keep the tradition going! Maybe it will make kids think.

5. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Perhaps. But why not just tell children me the truth to start with? Otherwise it's all just a setup.

6. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

I remember when I was a kid I had found out Santa wasn't real, but my younger brother was yet to find out. We were watching this Christmas show I had watched before and I knew that during the show, it revealed that Santa wasn't true.

I was mortified and dragged my brother away from the TV. But under what pretense? How would my ruse not fall to pieces?

So there we were, an hour later trying to build this huge bloody domino chain in the kitchen while the show played out.

While we're at it, how did you find out? I had snuck into my mum's room beforehand and seen all my presents under the bed (we got Santa prezzies and ones from the oldies too). When the stuff under the bed showed up in my Santa bag, the jig was up.

7. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

So where's the evidence that Santa Claus isn't real? I clearly remember him leaving satsumas for me in a stocking.

My ex-wife used to leave a pillowcase out for him to fill. I was scandalized.

8. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

Kingston police arrest man who told kids Santa isn’t real:

Source: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ice-arrest-man-who-told-kids-santa-isn-t-real

(emphasis mine) :lol:

9. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Because no parent wants to say this to their child on Christmas morning:

"Listen Jimmy, Christmas is an old pagan celebration that has been co-opted by the Christians, who use it to celebrate the birth of their prophet, who they believe to be God as well, but most people have since then co-opted it from the Christians and celebrate the holiday as a time for family to gather and exchange gifts"

It's all rather confusing. It's far easier to say: "Santa will bring you toys, if you are good!"

10. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Then when they get older they "realize" there's no such thing? I tell you, this is the lie. They were telling children me the truth in the first place.

Or are you saying it was all a double bluff?

11. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Once you reach a certain age, Santa goes Galt.

12. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

13. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

You know, I don't remember. I know that I called BS on it by 6, when I spent Christmas Eve trying to catch my parents in the act.

edit: IN THE ACT OF PLANTING PRESENTS OH THAT READ BADLY

14. DroopyTofu

DroopyTofu Double Bass Double Bass

I realized Santa wasn't real, but didn't tell my parents because I thought the gifts regularly labeled "From Santa" would stop coming.

15. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

Well I got the "son of the year" award when as a teenager I did a Santa sack for mum and left it at the foot of her bed while she was asleep.

I milked that one for years

16. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

Funny that this was my mother's exact argument for not teaching kids about Santa Claus.

I was never taught that Santa Claus existed, and I'm glad for it. My parent's didn't lie to me. Of course, they didn't lie to me about God either, as I found. But would I have believed them, before my experiences, had I been lied to about Santa Claus?

Maybe, but only God knows. Thankfully I never had that happen.

17. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

He doesn't exist? :sad:

18. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

:rotfl:

19. rilnator

rilnator Emperor

I agree Tooth fairy, Santa Claus, Easter Bunny. Just plain lies that will scar a child for life.

Whether it be about why Uncle Jimmys in jail, why mummy and daddy don't live together anymore or why we've just cancelled the family holiday. Kids always should be told the truth 100%.

Both my daughters believed in Santa and by the time they found out the truth they'd kinda been suspicious anyway.

Christmas without santa would suck.

20. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

I still remember catching my mom in the act as the tooth fairy, what a sad day :(